Profile for M. Lancaster > Reviews

Content by M. Lancaster

M. Lancaster "-ml-" (South of England, UK)

Countdown Timer - Minutes and Seconds
Countdown Timer - Minutes and Seconds
Offered by Winware

1.0 out of 5 stars BEEP BEEP BEEP beep beep beep BEEP BEEP beep! (Glowsticks not included), 11 Mar. 2013
Ordered this timer as our current one is a bit temperamental. This timer has the most dreadfully piercing beep. Hated it! Had to return it in the end as I couldn't face having to hear it going off all the time. Surely it's only good for the hard of hearing, or for people who like repetitive rave music and waving glow-sticks in the air. (I looked in the box, no glow sticks are supplied).

Gone back to using our flaky Ikea timer now. Some* things I've cooked have burnt because the Ikea timer doesn't always start when I press the button, and I forget to take them out of the oven, but at least my eardrums are in one piece, even if my tastebuds aren't.

*most

4x Canon PGI-525 Blacks FCI Compatible Printer Ink Cartridges (Contains: 4x 525BK Large Black)
Offered by First Call Inks

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant inks, 5 Mar. 2013
FCI inks are excellent and very close to canon quality. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again, or recommend them.

2013 Organised Mum Home Planner
2013 Organised Mum Home Planner

5.0 out of 5 stars Organised Mum Rules!, 8 Nov. 2012
I've been using the Organised Mum Home Planner for YEARS now. I buy one every year and I can honestly say it's the best calendar I've ever had. Plenty of room to write all your appointments and reminders as the boxes for each day are large. There's also space to write extra notes and reminders for the month. The back of the calendar has a pocket which we find really useful to keep things like important paperwork that you need to keep to hand, school letters, etc. The pen attachment is a relatively new addition and is a brilliant idea.

I've recommended this calendar to so many people. It's PERFECT for busy families.
There's nothing bad to say about it!! I'd give it 10 stars if I could :)

Once you get an Organised Mum Home Planner you'll never use another type of calendar again. You won't regret buying it!

Magic
Magic
by Tami Hoag

1.0 out of 5 stars A poor Scooby Doo type mystery / romance drivel, 2 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Magic (Paperback)
I read this book on holiday as I'd run out of things to read and it was on the bookshelf in the hotel. I was hardly past the first page when I realised how mind-numbingly awful it was. Very badly written, with a truly laughable 'romance' threading through the poor plotline. I skimmed my way through it hoping that it would get better. How wrong I was.

<<SPOILER>>

The part at the end when the 'ghost' appears is truly ridiculous. And finding the gold behind the fireplace! I kept thinking that Shaggy, Scooby and the old caretaker would turn up at any moment.
How on earth this woman has had 'bestsellers' is the TRUE MYSTERY. I could write better than this! Jeez. Or should I say 'Jinkies!'

Don't bother with this book. Absolutely APPALLING.

Bella and Monty: A Hairy Scary Night
Bella and Monty: A Hairy Scary Night

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun story with a good message :), 7 Feb. 2012
We discovered this book after enjoying the Claude series of stories from Alex T Smith. We just love his humorous view on life, and his charming illustrations!

The story is about two friends, Bella and Monty. Bella is fearless, but Monty is scared of LOTS of things, including 'cheese on toast', 'gloves', 'plugholes' (hee hee!) and THE DARK. When they have a sleepover, Bella tries to help Monty conquer his fears using lovely imaginative explanations about the things he's scared of and they go on an dreamy adventure to a dark forest, via space - and a school for ghouls! Eventually Monty realises that actually, when you think about it, these things aren't scary at all. A great story for any child that has night-time fears.

Alex's wonderful illustrations bring the story to life, and the book is filled with humour. From the list of Monty's fears, to the silly zombies and the cute spiders with their chinese takeaway boxes, there's something to make you smile on every page!

A fun book for a confident reader, and a joy for any adult to read to their child. Go and buy it now! :)

Claude at the Circus
Claude at the Circus

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant Claude adventure!, 14 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Claude at the Circus (Paperback)
We LOVE reading about Claude and Sir Bobblysock's madcap adventures, so when we found out that the third Claude book was being published we pre-ordered it!
In this story, Claude and his faithful (and long-suffering) friend, Sir Bobblysock go to the park, and find themselves at a Circus. Claude, being his practical self, decides to 'help' clean and tidy up the circus tent - with disastrous results! Along the way, they get up to all sorts of mischief, including annoying a park-keeper and some golfers, tripping up some joggers, performing a daring act of bravery by the duck pond, drinking tea on the high wire and being shot out of a cannon. Alex T Smith's book is filled with beautiful (and hilarious) illustrations as Claude lurches unwittingly from one mishap to another. A brilliant story to share with a child and also perfect for independent readers. As an adult, they're a joy to read, and there are always little parts here and there that appeal to a grown-up sense of humour. I can't recommend the Claude series enough. Buy them all - I guarantee you won't be disappointed!!!

The Diabolical Mr Tiddles
The Diabolical Mr Tiddles
by Tom McLaughlin

5.0 out of 5 stars We loved it!, 14 Jan. 2012
All Harry wanted was a little cat to care for and to play with. Then he gets his wish! Along comes Mr Tiddles. They do lots of fun things together. Harry loves Mr Tiddles, and Mr Tiddles loves Harry. But little does Harry know, Mr Tiddles is *actually* a dastardly cat-burglar! The story unfolds into a daring tale of midnight flits, stolen pogo sticks, misappropriation of a jetpack, art thefts, horse rustling, *and*, amongst other diabolical deeds; a break-in at the Royal Palace! We loved reading about what Mr Tiddles got up to under the cover of darkness; it's hilarious thinking that pets have another, secret life!

A lovely heartwarming tale all about the wonderful friendship between Harry and Mr Tiddles, and Tom McLaughlin's fun and colourful illustrations are full of brilliantly funny little details which you can discover again and again as you read and re-read the book.
Recommended as a story to read aloud to a younger child (and have fun looking at the illustrations), and also great for older children to read by themselves.

Claude on Holiday
Claude on Holiday
by Alex T Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Another hilarious adventure - a joy for adults and children alike!, 30 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Claude on Holiday (Paperback)
We've just received our pre-ordered copy of Claude on Holiday by the fabulously talented Alex T Smith. Excitement ensued! We read it as our bedtime story and we ALL loved it. My children both loved the previous book 'Claude in the City' and so we just had to order the follow-up.

There are many things we love about the Claude series. The characters are charming: Claude is completely loveable and his sensible friend Sir Bobblysock is (hilariously) the voice of reason, often cutting in with a wry comment, a rolling of the eyes or a tut. The beautifully drawn black and red illustrations are bold, and wonderfully expressive. Various characters pop up in the book like caricatures - many of them will probably remind you of someone you know, or perhaps someone you've seen in your neighbourhood. These stories are wonderfully silly, just the sort of thing that children like to hear about and imagine. One of the things that my husband and I really enjoy are the various levels of humour Alex uses; there's something for everyone; both my husband and I were chuckling about cheeky parts of the story whilst our two girls were laughing at the silly people and what Claude and Sir Bobblysock were up to. Younger children will enjoy the funny pictures and hearing the story. Older ones can read and enjoy it for themselves, or do as we do and listen to it for a bedtime story, we add lots of silly voices and sound effects :) It's a brilliant book for putting a smile on your face.

In this story, Claude goes on holiday with Sir Bobblysock. He miraculously pulls a suitcase from under his dog bed (amazing) and fills it with all sort of important things including a pair of y-fronts, a tambourine and some sticky tape. There's excitement as Claude saves a swimmer in trouble, a funny meeting with some French tourists, and hilarity when Sir Bobblysock steals his thunder on the beach later. Then there's pirates, treasure and seasickness... and sandy underpants.

A great story for any age of child, (or adult!), full of fun and laughter. We CAN'T WAIT for the next Claude book to be published!

London (Take the Kids)
London (Take the Kids)
by Joseph Fullman

5.0 out of 5 stars A wealth of useful information: don't leave home without it!, 23 Feb. 2004
This review is from: London (Take the Kids) (Paperback)
What a fantastic book!! As well as being a great guide to all the best places to go in London with kids, it's actually a very interesting read. It's full of information and snippets of little-known facts about London and it's landmarks. Great for impressing the kids while you're out and about on your travels.
The book is well written, and aimed at such a level that it doesn't seem like a foreign travel guide, so it can be used easily by British people as well as visitors from other countries. It's divided into easy to use sections which cover various areas of London, so if you're in one particular area it gives you information on what there is to see and do, as well as the best places to eat with children in mind (what a godsend!) and also where to shop. Each section has a map with the various attractions marked on it as well as restaurants and most importantly - TOILETS!
The attractions are well described with opening times, contact numbers, website addresses, and prices. Another extremely useful addition is the amount of time you should allow when visiting and also which age the attraction is aimed at.
The restaurant sections give a good general description and point out items of special interest to children - ie what kids meals are like, if you get activity packs with the menu, interesting things about the restuarant (there are some with special attractions for children - one has bunk-bed style tables where you have to climb a ladder to eat, another gives out a card which you have to get stamped as you collect various parts of your meal, there are many more, too).
Also included in the book is a calendar of events which happen in London every year, a list of the best things for kids in London, tips for getting around, places to go for free, fun games to play, and themed itineraries so you can plan a day out with Toy Mad Kids, for example, or Arty, Animal-mad, Gory, or Stagestruck kids.
There is SO much in this book that I really can't list it all here. If you're interested in taking children to London then this is THE book to get; it's worth every penny. You can plan ahead and get the most out of your visit - a godsend if you have children that need to be kept amused.
BUY IT NOW! I recommend it 110%