Profile for Book Addict > Reviews

Content by Book Addict

Book Addict "Book Junkie" (Portsmouth)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
Once Gone (a Riley Paige Mystery--Book #1)
Once Gone (a Riley Paige Mystery--Book #1)

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read if you aren't too worried about reality., 5 April 2016
On the whole a good and engrossing read that pleasantly (if that's the right word, given the genre) passed the time. However, it was not without fault. The characters were pretty flat and I find it had to believe Riley would have been allowed on an active case when she was so mentally distraught. Her actions were extremely rash and frankly, unbelievable in places. Also, the author asked the reader to swallow some fairly large 'coincidences' without question.
Torn between 3 and 4 stars, but I read it eagerly so it had some strengths.

The Light Bearer
The Light Bearer

3.0 out of 5 stars Ponderous and description heavy., 3 April 2016
This review is from: The Light Bearer (Kindle Edition)
Wow! I can't believe all the 5 star reviews. It makes me doubt my own opinion, and yet I know I found this book dense and tedious. The slightest detail was dwelt on which for me bogged down the pace and made it a trial to read. I so wanted a read that was absorbing and immersive. In theory this should have been it, and yet, the description heavy narrative slowed the read to a snail's pace and left me impatient and unsympathetic to the characters. Not for me I'm afraid.

The Girl in the Ice: A gripping serial killer thriller (Detective Erika Foster Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars An Exhausting Read - In a good way, 30 Mar. 2016
An exhausting read (in a good way!) Does Erika never sleep?
A good murder mystery with a great twist at the end. Suffers a little from 'Outlander' syndrome, where the hero(ine) gets beaten to a pulp so many times its a miracle she recovers each time...but this didn't detract from an engrossing read.

Lili: A Portrait of the First Sex Change (Man Into Woman)
Lili: A Portrait of the First Sex Change (Man Into Woman)

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential read, 25 Mar. 2016
I read this after seeing The Danish Girl and seeing the movie was poor preparation for the book. A moving story of gender identity which including butchery at the hands of doctors. An essential read for anyone interested in gender issues.

Conundrum (European Road Maps)
Conundrum (European Road Maps)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brave and courageous, 25 Mar. 2016
A touching and eye-opening account of a person coming to terms with gender identity issues. A brave and courageous lady.

The Life and Death of Sophie Stark
The Life and Death of Sophie Stark

4.0 out of 5 stars A portrait of unacknowledged mental illness., 25 Mar. 2016
Sophie Stark's greatest creation was herself. Yet her invention was flawed, because the inevitable consequence for a character like Sophie Was that she couldn't live in this world. The character of Sophie was well written and compelling, in a wanting to bang your head against a wall way. It was clear that Sophie had some sort of personality disorder, but like the elephant in the room no one mentions it. A well-written read, but just a little too depressing to say I 'love' it (5 stars) so a respectable 4 instead.

The Road to Little Dribbling: More Notes From a Small Island
The Road to Little Dribbling: More Notes From a Small Island
by Bill Bryson

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining but self indulgent., 13 Dec. 2015
Notes from a small island is Mr Bryson's observations of the UK on a farewell tour before returning to the States. It was an enjoyable enough read, if a touch depressing (it seems everything has changed for the worst). There were some wonderfully astute observations about the English males obsession with road numbers, but aside from that it was an OK book to pass the time on a long train journey.
What grated with me most was how self-indulgent Mr Bryson's trip was. It seems there is a Mrs Bryson and Bryson juniors, who all stayed at home for the duration of Mr B's jolly. It left me silently fuming that the wife was left holding the fort while her husband went on a protracted holiday. Hmph.

Now You See Me: Lacey Flint Series, Book 1
Now You See Me: Lacey Flint Series, Book 1

5.0 out of 5 stars Six out of five stars (a first for me)., 11 Dec. 2015
Wow! A true couldn't put it down, couldn't wait to pick it up - read! (And i don''t class myself as a fan of police procedurals/ who dunnits/ crime novels or whatever category this is.
I read "Little Black Lies" and got swept up with the characters and setting, so decided to give Ms Bolton the benefit of the doubt and try another of her books. This one strikes me as an earlier book, because the characters aren't as well-developed as in Little Black Lies - but the compelling story more than made up for the deficit. And the final twist at the end - I'm still thinking about it 24 hours later. Such a clever read and I've already bought #2....

Little Black Lies
Little Black Lies

5.0 out of 5 stars Not my usual genre but so glad I read it., 18 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Little Black Lies (Kindle Edition)
Bought this on impulse as its a genre I don't normally read. I nearly didn't start it as I got cold feet after reading the blurb again, and thinking a novel about the death of children wasn't a fit subject for entertainment. However, I started and boy am I glad.
This is a fantastic read that totally gets you inside the heads of 3 extraordinary characters.
The same events are revealed through 3 different sets of eyes, and each time I was totally hooked by their viewpoint and totally swept along by their motivation. As to the end, well, it's got more twist and turns than a twisty turny thing and I will be looking for more books by the same author.

The Girl on the Train
The Girl on the Train

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - But how can Rachel afford to commute?, 10 Nov. 2015
An immersive absorbing read that I couldn't wait to return to and thought about when I wasn't reading it.
Exactly what you want in a good page turner, believable characters and a disaster slowly unfurling with one person on the track of truth who no ones believes.
Only one point bugged me: With the price of train tickets what they are, how on earth could Rachel afford to commute daily with no job??? [Minor point that didn't detract from the book]

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13