ARRAY(0xa45f3fb4)

Profile for Stuart Hall > Reviews

Content by Stuart Hall

Stuart Hall (Paisley, Renfrewshire United Kingdom)

The First World War: New Illustrated Edition
The First World War: New Illustrated Edition
by John Keegan

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Overview of WW1, 4 Jan 2003
This was the first book I read about WW1, having learned that my great grandfather was killed in France in 1918. I was keen to get an overview of the war and to obtain an insight into not only the events of the war itself, but the context of it's beginnings from a political perspective. The book is brilliantly written and illustrated, with good use of photography and maps, clearly setting out the events as they developed. Given the subject matter, the book is remarkably easy to read and I found it difficult to put down. The mark of this book's impact on me was that it inspired me to read other WW1 books. I would thoroughly recommend it and fully intend to read other books by the same author.

Undertones of War (Penguin Modern Classics)
Undertones of War (Penguin Modern Classics)
by Edmund Blunden
Price: 7.69

3.0 out of 5 stars A Poetic Account of War, 8 Dec 2002
It takes a bit of getting used to reading a book as old as this, you don't realise how much the use of language changes over time. Edmund Blunden was clearly a wonderful writer and experienced the full horrors of WW1. I found the book however ultimately unsatisfying. This is possibly because we live in an age where everything is very explicit whereas Blunden's writings are poetic and subtle. I'll probably read this book again in a few years and reappraise it.

Playing Through: A Year of Life and Links Along the Scottish Coast
Playing Through: A Year of Life and Links Along the Scottish Coast
by Curtis Gillespie

1.0 out of 5 stars Fast Forward Playing Through, 8 Dec 2002
Presumably this book was written to appeal to golfers rather than as purely for Scottish local interest. There is a shortage of well written and genuinely interesting golf books around and I bought this book as it had a great cover and offered echos in it's content of James Dodson's excellent "Final Rounds", which combines an interesting journey around the courses of Britain with a very emotional account of his final times with his father. "Playing Through" is basically a variation of this theme, but intertwines the author's time living in Gullane, with stories about his father who he clearly loves and worships. The problem is it's just not very interesting and despite one chuckle to myself part of the way through, isn't funny either. It's overly sentimental and lacks charm. When I reached the middle of the book, it seemed to repeat itself, until I realised that the book had been wrongly bound and about 30 pages were duplicated by mistake. Rather than return the book in disappointment, I was actually delighted to be 30 pages closer to finishing this boring book! Sorry, but this book was just a poor attempt - read "Final Rounds" instead.