Profile for G. Thompson > Reviews

Content by G. Thompson

G. Thompson "guyt79" (London,UK)

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (Xbox 360)
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (Xbox 360)
Offered by Gameline GmbH.
Price: 24.40

2.0 out of 5 stars What's with the heavy religious overtones?, 15 Feb 2014
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
I have to say that I stopped playing after a few hours due to having religion thrust down my throat!

The graphics are good...the gameplay enjoyable but the story about being a servant from god really really grated at me. I am not religious in anyway and just found it annoying!
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 28, 2014 8:31 PM GMT

The Long War (Long Earth 2)
The Long War (Long Earth 2)
Price: 3.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor, Bitty and Rushed, 9 Aug 2013
I really enjoyed the first book (The Long Earth) my only criticism with it was the rushed feel to the ending.

Unfortunately this flaw also carried across to this sequel. The book was really really slow to start with, establishing the new characters and catching up with the old ones. Fair enough I thought, always good to establish the key players. But then it just had them do unremarkable things for the majority of the book. I still don't see what the point of the Chinese expedition plot line was...it could have been built into so much more..finding out something scary about the Long Earth or the Wonderchild they had with them causing/discovering something. But no.

The book got really boring at points and only the characters of Lobsang and sister Agnus kept me interested...but were woefully underused.

Yes, I could see the tensions building to the upcoming war...then found that it got resolved in one page of text and with a handshake!
Somehow I doubt the colonial migrants and the Datum government would see eye-to-eye so easily after all the things that had gone on beforehand. It was just a tad unbelievable.

The ending with Joshua and the Beagles felt rushed and a bit of an afterthought. I feel the authors cold have made for an exciting climax and chase, with Joshua stripped of his one remarkable power. Sadly it just stopped abruptly and we got the close-down chapter with everyone at a BBQ sharing stories.
Then to mix it up, in almost an epilogue chapter, the authors throw in a new plot line that can only serve to introduce another book in the series. I felt a bit cheated.

One thing I noticed was the lack of humour in the book. I suspect that Terry Pratchett has had less influence on the text than last time, and the book suffers as a result.

I'd advise people to steer clear.

Nokia C2-01 Sim Free Mobile Phone 3G - Black
Nokia C2-01 Sim Free Mobile Phone 3G - Black
Offered by gsm4u
Price: 75.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money!, 20 Mar 2012
I have serious gripes with this phone:

1) The quality of incoming calls is dreadful...the sound distorts, even on a medium volume. The supplied 'voice clarity' option in the menus does nothing to recitfy this
2) The call volume control is hidden...you need to alter it whilst in the call, but the issue is the up/down controls for this are the main button on the front, that is behind your ear during the call. So you have to take the phone away from your ear as you adjust
3) The text messaging function is 'clunky' and just doesn't feel streamlined
4) The battery charging indicator never indicates a full charge, just charges endlessly.
5) It feels and looks plastic and lightweight

Basically I'm sure there are better phones out there for this price and I'd expect any phone out there to handle calling and texting...but this one struggles to do that!

Avoid!

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)
Offered by Trade-N-Go Gaming
Price: 32.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Fiddly controls, 8 Dec 2011
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
I have placed this title on ebay after a good attempt at getting into it.
The problem is that the controls.

The use of the wii remote with wii motion plus is a great idea. But the games wants pin point accuracy, and to be honest, the technology isn't there yet. So often was I making the strokes required of me to beat an enemy and so often did the technology not translated the motions into the game actions.

So it quickly became frustrating...and I stopped playing!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 15, 2012 11:07 PM GMT

The King's Speech [Blu-ray] [2010]
The King's Speech [Blu-ray] [2010]
Dvd ~ Colin Firth
Price: 9.25

5.0 out of 5 stars A Surprisingly Great Film!, 31 May 2011
I have to admit that I didn't really want to see this film when my girlfriend first produced the Blu-Ray one evening. But after I started to watch I was captivated.

I've read a few of the other reviews on here who complain that its slow paced or there aren't any juicey bits of gossip about the King in this film. I, however think they missed the point.
Yes, its a slow burning film, but I wasn't once bored. I mean, if you are looking for a fast action-packed, dramatical soap-fest, then this is not for you.

But if you want to see a good film, with solid performances, and an engaging storyline about one mans struggle against adversity with a happy (but not Hollywood Happy) ending then watch this.

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo DS)
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo DS)
Offered by CD DIXIE
Price: 36.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Starts off well, but repetative., 3 Jan 2008
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
Great gameplay, great graphics, new and interesting way of controlling Link.....but its all let down by the fact you have to replay one of the dungeons over and over again to progress the game.

Let me explain, you have to tackle this master dungeon, pick up an item that opens up more of the world map. Fine....So you toddle off on your boat...complete a segment of the world map, usually another dungeon and defeat a boss.

Once thats completed you learn you need another item from the master dungeon, so you return....but not where you left off, oh no...back you go to the first part of this master dungeon, and you have to work through the previous levels to get the new item.

Each time you return to the master dungeon you have to revist the old levels you've already completed and it gets boring, very, very, very quickly.

True - you get a warp point taking you a few floors down after about the 3rd visit, but it still makes it a tedious experience.

I got bored repeating this process eventually, and simply put the game down in digust and havn't touched it since. This is the first time EVER that i've not bothered to play a Zelda game to its completion.

Avoid is my recommendation...
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 29, 2009 2:48 PM GMT