Profile for Danielle Pegg > Reviews

Content by Danielle Pegg

Danielle Pegg (SOUTH BEND, IN, US)

Page: 1 | 2
Blood Tournament (2018)
Blood Tournament (2018)

4.0 out of 5 stars Beyond Comparison, 20 Dec 2013
I was given this book as a gift because I LOVED the Hunger Games and after seeing a few of the reviews on Goodreads, I thought I'd like to give it a go.

I'll be honest, I was a bit doubtful of the comparisons to the Hunger Games that seemed to come up over and over. And I was correct in that respect. Beyond the fight to the death style of tournament that is the central focus of the story and the age of the main characters, I didn't find too much in common with the popular series. And that was a GOOD thing.

The world of the 2018 Series is a dystopian hell where the New Government owns the people in a disturbingly realistic system of life and death. There is a tournament where they recruit the citizens into a brutal murder-fest, which was handled with a sense of the macabre that I couldn't help but enjoy. The characters are flawed and more realistic that many I've seen in these sort of stories. I was invested in their plights, in the conflicts and victories of the main four. I couldn't put this book down and know that I will happily re-read it when its time for book 2!

Buckskin, Bullets & Beans - A Cookbook from Western Writers of America
Buckskin, Bullets & Beans - A Cookbook from Western Writers of America

5.0 out of 5 stars recipes and more, 20 Dec 2013
I had just as much fun with this book reading the excerpts as trying out some of the recipes. The excerpts from the different contributing authors have added to my "to-read" list with just as much excitement as I've added a good few of the recipes to my "TO cook" list!

I tried out three of the recipes so far, and they were easy to understand, fun to try, and delicious! I can safely say the same things about the story snippets.

Lies to Die for (Max Larkin Detective Series Book 2)
Lies to Die for (Max Larkin Detective Series Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the First, 15 Dec 2013
After reading the first book of the Max & Jesse books, "Time Killer", I admit I had high hopes for the second book in the series. I was not disappointed. I didn't find the murders in this book quite as disturbing as those in "Time Killer", which is a good thing. I felt like the author took a slightly different turn with the second book in the series and let us see more of the detectives and their partnership.

Max & Jesse are having some issues with their partnership during this case and I was really drawn into their relationship much more than in the first book. I'm very much looking forward to the next book(s) and seeing more of these characters and the gruesomely fascinating cases they get stuck with.

Mr. Thiede set the bar high in the first book with his creative killer's methods and motivations. "Lies to Die For" doesn't leave the reader longing for the freshness of book one, like so many other detective/crime thrillers I've read before. I found following the case with the detectives to be interesting and entertaining. I want to say so much more, but hate the idea of spoiling the ending! You have to read it to believe it!

The Ian Fleming Files: Operation Parsifal
The Ian Fleming Files: Operation Parsifal

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 14 Dec 2013
I can't believe that I waited as long as I did to read this! I loved the first book and was so excited to see that the second had come out but somehow it got buried in the one-click nightmare my Kindle has become!

When I sat down to read it, I forgot about everything and finished it over the course of one snowy evening. Ian Fleming, as characterized by Damian Stevenson, is one of the most fun, interesting spies in fiction. I can't wait to see what his next adventure will be!

In this book, Ian is asked to do what seems like the most impossible of things -- protect Hitler himself! With a car chase that gets your blood pumping right from the start, this story grabs on and doesn't let go! With a new cast of shady characters (and a couple returning friends), Ian Fleming must make certain that the enemy of the free world stays alive, despite his personal thoughts on the subject. Sexy women, high adventure and amazing gadgets fill the pages.

While I am not an expert on history or WWII, I don't have to be to enjoy the story and the adventure. Mr. Stevenson does a fabulous job of writing this tale of heroism in a way that I don't have the time to stop and question how it was they made a shoe-phone or laser guided pigeons (neither of which actually show up, sadly) in the 1940's. The action is fast paced, the dialogue witty and the bad guys diabolical, all the things needed to make a British spy thriller, well, thrilling!

Solstice (Mystery and Suspense) (Mystery and Suspense Books Book 1)
Solstice (Mystery and Suspense) (Mystery and Suspense Books Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Creepy Page Turner, 14 Oct 2013
If you like to have your mind taken on a twisted frolic through a disturbed mind, then you need this book. I wasn't able to put it down as I was taken on the journey with the main character's descent into madness.

Unlike many other stories of this genre, I wasn't able to predict where it was going to end up. I was surprised more than once and morosely enchanted the whole way through.

It's Never Too Late
It's Never Too Late
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing voice, 14 Oct 2013
This review is from: It's Never Too Late (Audio CD)
I followed Andrew Wishart through his journey on X-factor AU, and loved every moment. This album is a tribute to that journey and well worth the cost. Each track reminds me of those moments where I feel in love with him over and over.

The Academy
The Academy
by Laura Antoniou

5.0 out of 5 stars Different format, same great storytelling, 14 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Academy (Paperback)
This is the fourth book in the Marketplace series and I am still enchanted!

While the other three books were pretty straight forward tales of the secret BDSM culture of The Marketplace, this one was a little bit different. Interlaced with the story of the characters we have all come to know and love (especially one Chris Parker!), there are other short stories weaved into the narrative brilliantly. They show the scope of the world outside of what can be seen in the small circle of characters who made up the first three books.

The sex is still hot, the variety of sexuality, gender, orientation, fetishes, kinks, etc, is dramatic and seems to cover just about anything you're looking for!

Though this is one of those books where you can't enjoy it to the fullest unless you've read the three that come before, I can't imagine why you would want to miss out on the beginnings of this intriguing world!

Fairy Tail - Part 2 [DVD]
Fairy Tail - Part 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Aya Hirano

4.0 out of 5 stars great fun, 14 Oct 2013
This review is from: Fairy Tail - Part 2 [DVD] (DVD)
if you like One Piece, DBZ or Naruto, this is the anime for you! The characters are outrageous and loveable. You can't help but root for them, even as you're lamenting their dorkiness.

The first box set was a series on unrelated episodes that got me into the world, but on this second part, the story arcs are longer and more involved, the depth of the characters is being exposed and new villains are challenging the heroes!

Definitely a must watch series! Can't wait for the next set of episodes!

Fairy Tail - Part 1 [DVD]
Fairy Tail - Part 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Aya Hirano

4.0 out of 5 stars great start, 14 Oct 2013
This review is from: Fairy Tail - Part 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I was hooked from episode one. The characters remind me quite a bit of my long time favorite series One Piece. The art is a little ridiculous but once you're in the world, it hardly matters. The character engage you with their quirky personalities, dorky bad jokes and epic heroic quests. The people who love Bleach, Naruto, DBZ and of course, One Piece will find this much to their taste!

Bandai One Piece Figuarts Zero 6 Inch Action Figure Captain Eustass Kid
Bandai One Piece Figuarts Zero 6 Inch Action Figure Captain Eustass Kid
Offered by JNS JAPAN STORE [Ship from Japan. Be delivered to Christmas can not be guaranteed.]

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing figure, 14 Oct 2013
This was more than I ever expected it could be! The figure looks just like the character, and unlike other figures I have bought, he stands up on his display stand just fine! No wobbling, falling or hunting up his little pieces that come off.

Page: 1 | 2