Profile for Mark Fishpool > Reviews

Content by Mark Fishpool

Mark Fishpool

The War Poets: A Selection of World War I Poetry (2nd Edition)
The War Poets: A Selection of World War I Poetry (2nd Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars Memories of tragedy, 9 May 2013
I'm not a big poetry fan, but these really evoke a sense of the First World War and what it's what like in the true aches and back at home. I read it for Wilfred Owen's 'Dulce et Decorum Est' which I did at school, and discovered some other talented poets in the process.

The Making of Modern Britain
The Making of Modern Britain

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read for the historically uninformed, 9 May 2013
Whilst at times the politics got a bit on the heavy side, overall I found this an interesting and informative read. Generally the style is easy to understand although occasionally the thematic approach (rather than strict chronological order of events) means you are jumping around the years. I think this works well though generally. Of course, given the amount of time this book covers, the subjects are only discussed at a fairly high level for the most part.

Heirs of Mars: A Science Fiction Thriller
Heirs of Mars: A Science Fiction Thriller

4.0 out of 5 stars Complex set of characters but entertaining, 9 May 2013
This was quite a difficult one to get in to for the first few chapters as there were a lot of characters being introduced and it wasn't always apparent where they fit into the overall plot. After a while it settled down into an enjoyable read, and I found myself wanting the different story arcs to connect. I found the latter half a great read and entertaining. The ending seemed a bit rushed though and it felt like there were still some loose ends to tie up.

Erinyes
Erinyes

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and fun read, 9 May 2013
This review is from: Erinyes (Kindle Edition)
An enjoyable and easy read short story. It was entertaining but felt rushed and that there could have been a lot more to both the plot and characters.

The Way of the Wild Heart: A Map for the Masculine Journey
The Way of the Wild Heart: A Map for the Masculine Journey

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent glimpse into your heart, 11 Nov. 2010
Having read Wild at Heart (at least twice) I decided to give this a go and have not been disappointed. There is some overlap between the two books but there is so much more in this - it is taking things on to a whole new level.

John Eldredge has such a grasp of what it means to be a man, and takes me right down into aspects of my life I had never have thought of before, at least not in this way. I have come out feeling I understand myself so much better. It has helped me to go on another step towards realising the life the God has for me.

So much in here just clicks, I have highlighted so many snippets to come back to later, and will have to read it all again as there is so much in there.

If you're a guy who feels that he doesn't fit into church, or that you are restricted by the life you lead, then this is for you. I'd highly recommend reading Wild at Heart first if you haven't already though. You don't need to be a great outdoorsman or sportsman either to get this, this is relevant for everyone.