Profile for Alan Burdon > Reviews

Content by Alan Burdon

Alan Burdon (Dignams Creek, Australia)

Cosmos
Cosmos

4.0 out of 5 stars Flawed genius, 4 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Cosmos (Audio CD)
Vangels music has played the soundtrack of most of my adult life. It is a pity that he has faded from view so much in recent years. It is a pity too that he has, on occasion, launched into some self-indulgent cacophanies such as Beaubourg; the 10 minutes and thirty-five seconds of which knocks the heart out of the first disc of this collection. Nevertheless there are some of his greatest pieces here, notably To The Unknown Man, Alpha and the theme from 'Cosmos'. All these I have elsewhere but to put his 'spacy' pieces together is a worthy effort. However, at only just over 40 minutes per disc I felt rather short changed. Hence the less than perfect score that Vangelis usually evokes from me.

Vangelis The Collection
Vangelis The Collection

5.0 out of 5 stars Pax Vangelis, 4 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Vangelis The Collection (Audio CD)
There is hardly a gentle and soothing track from the entire Vangelis repertoire that is missing from this set. Listening to this as the sun sets is a passport to another place far more serene than our usual frantic world. My personal favourite is the theme from Missing; track 2 disc 2; beautiful, complete and totally satisfying in its cadences. I shall factor it into my funeral service I think. It will undo everyone there.

Chariots of Fire: Academy Award, Best Original Score 1981
Chariots of Fire: Academy Award, Best Original Score 1981
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Music for all times, 4 Jan. 2013
I have had this on vinyl for year but wanted the convenience of a CD. It surprised me how raw some of the tracks seem against Vangelis' later work, but he rarely bettered the innovation he protrayed here. Its exposure during the Olympics showed that this is completely timeless music. A classic which I will listen to many times more I trust before I have to bequeath it to someone else.