Profile for Lane > Reviews

Lucas
Lucas
by Kevin Brooks

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving beyond, 7 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Lucas (Paperback)
To think when I bought this book I was bored and needed something to read and just picked up a random book off the shelf and thought "This'll do; looks interesting." I have never been so moved, happy and heartbroken in my life. The quote on the front is true: it does get to you, and you do have to tell everyone you know how amazing it is. Words can't describe how much I love this book, and always will. A phenomenal read.

Skybreaker
Skybreaker
by Kenneth Oppel

5.0 out of 5 stars Diamond in the rough, 20 May 2007
This review is from: Skybreaker (Paperback)
As a bookworm I've discovered it's unfortunately extremely rare to find a book that has a good plot, is written well (and (in Borders) doesn't smell like coffee). Normally it's a good plot but badly written, or very well written but sends you to sleep (And since the teen section in borders is upstairs nearly everything smells like coffee). Thankfully I found this DIAMOND of a book in a local bookshop and it was the first book I've read in a while that I just couldn't put down. Having finished it minutes ago I'm feeling uplifted by the thrill of it, but depressed that I now have nothing to read! Seriously READ THIS BOOK - it's impossible, strike that, it's against the laws of physics to put it down.

Cry Freedom [DVD] [1987]
Cry Freedom [DVD] [1987]
Dvd ~ Denzel Washington

4.0 out of 5 stars Nkosi sikelela thina lusapho lwayo, 20 May 2007
This review is from: Cry Freedom [DVD] [1987] (DVD)
We had to watch this in our RS class at school last year. Me and my friend were so moved and heartbroken I don't think we stopped crying for 3 days. Although (being of annoyingly sensitive nature) I couldn't watch some of the scenes, I won't forget this film in a hurry - especially Biko's funeral, where thousands of people stood and sang "Nkosi sikelel' iAfrika" - the South African national anthem; it's such a beautiful moment, it will haunt my dreams for the rest of my life.