ARRAY(0xa9561810)

Demon's Souls (PS3)
Offered by Game Gadgets
Price: 15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Games I have played in Years, 3 April 2014
This review is from: Demon's Souls (PS3) (Video Game)
I came a little late to the demons souls party and to a certain extent was concerned by some of the reviews that the game would become annoying because of how hard it was. However, this game is hard, but as many have said, you learn very quickly how to approach each enemy how to take them down, what weapons/spells/effect they are strong or weak against and then you learn to overcome them. I haven't punched the air with sheer delight so many times, for as long as I can remember, playing any game, as I have done with Demon's Souls.

If I had known how fantastic this game was I would have bought a PS3 sooner.

Eldritch Tales: A Miscellany of the Macabre
Eldritch Tales: A Miscellany of the Macabre
by H.P. Lovecraft
Price: 16.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic companion to the Necronomicon, 23 July 2011
I'll be short and sweet, the book is of very high quality, and looks better than the pictures portray, this alongside the Gollancz Necronomicon is a superb book and the afterword by Stephen Jones, is a wonderful read.

This and the Necronomicon will take pride and place on my lovecraft shelf.

Of all the recent publications of Lovecrafts work, this and the Necronomicon stand head and shoulders above all other editions.

H.P. Lovecraft: The Complete Fiction (Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Classics) (Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Classic Collection)
by H.P. Lovecraft
Price: 17.13

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice quality book., 1 July 2011
We all know Lovecraft so basically this book contains the "complete fiction" if you like lovecraft you'll be happy.

Generally this is a good quality leatherbound book on good quality paper, this appears to the "corrected" text, with an introduction by Sunand Joshi.

I bought this purely because it is HP lovecraft and to add to my collection of lovecraft volumes. From the images the book looks good however in the flesh (so to speak) I found the look of the book a bit garish, more-so than the pictures portray, also from the images it looks like the front decoration is printed directly onto the leather however "in the flesh" it is an inlay which appears to be glued to the front of the book.

I am quite happy with this volume and it is a nice addition to my collection, though I will admit I much prefer the recent "Necronomicon" by Gollancz (and have pre ordered the "Eldritch Tales" because of this) as it looks a more classic volume and is better presented (only in my personal opinion), I will admit I also much prefer the introduction by Stephen Jones for the necronomicon compared with this one.

If you are interested in Lovecraft, I would also recommend the H P Lovecraft Omnibuses (paperback) 1, 2 and 3 by voyager, the stories are grouped better as they are more closely arranged with Lovecrafts themes (dream cycles, mythos stories etc) rather than chronological order, they have the original text (which personally reads a lot better than the edited text) and have introductions by August derleth, which are a nice (short) read in themselves, as Derleth was a close friend of Lovecraft his introductions are more personal than either Joshi or Jones's.

Interestingly this volume is printed "with the express permission of the H P Lovecraft literary foundation" though I assumed Lovecrafts works had probably entered the public domain by now.

Overall a nicely presented volume, though there are "better" editions out there.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 29, 2012 11:45 PM BST

The Casebook of Carnacki the Ghost Finder (Wordsworth Mystery & Supernatural) (Tales of Mystery & the Supernatural)
by William Hope Hodgson
Price: 2.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read and at this price it's amazing value, 12 Jun 2011
Hodgson's Carnacki stories are brilliant short stories, hodgson is a fantastic writer and able to really describe the scene's with a vividness that is quite unique.

Hodgson's work is a gem, it's steal at this price and a very enjoyable read.

The Trail of Cthulhu
The Trail of Cthulhu
by August Derleth

5.0 out of 5 stars A geat read even if you don't like Derleth's take on the Mythos, 12 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Trail of Cthulhu (Paperback)
This was my first delving into Derleth, I will admit, I'm not fussed on the direction he took the Mythos with the "good" Elder gods casting out the "Evil" great old-ones at the beginning on time(sort of a satan banishment from heaven type thing) and so you have a good against evil with the human race in betweeen.

However, August Derleth was a fantastic writer, his prose is quite exquisite on the page and flows with an ease I have not read except for maybe Isaac Asimov in "Foundation", the short stories written from the view of the participants really moves the story along well, a great book and well worth reading, though there are plot components that don't sit with lovecrafts Mythos, but I can forgive Derleth for those.

This Panther edition has some fantastic artwork on the cover as well.

The Shadow out of Time: The Corrected Text
The Shadow out of Time: The Corrected Text
by H. P. Lovecraft
Price: 9.32

4.0 out of 5 stars One of Lovecrafts best novels, 12 Jun 2011
I bought this purely to see what the "Corrected Text" meant, well...

There is an old saying, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

That's why I would recommend to anyone buying:

H. P. Lovecraft Omnibus (3) - "The Haunter of the Dark and Other Tales"
By Voyager. (available on Amazon for 5.49)

It's cheaper, it contains "The Shadow Out of Time" and many other of Lovecrafts stories in it and is presented the way Lovecraft intended.

But a decent book none the less and has the original cover art, though seems alot more blurry on the actual book than the photo would suggest.