Profile for Mr. S. W. Allen > Reviews

Content by Mr. S. W. Allen

Mr. S. W. Allen "Steve" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Litigators
The Litigators
by John Grisham
Price: 15.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Diet Grisham, 30 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Litigators (Hardcover)
I have just put down the book and have to agree with many of the 1 to 3 star reviews on here. This story just doesn't hold a candle to some of the best work of Grisham. Rushed, predictable, cliched, lacking real character strength. Yes he covered the Mass Tort world, professional witnesses, federal court routine and the world of a street law firm. That was ok. All that research, was pushed into the book and pasted together fine. But the characters were wooden, unloveable and even ones that were ok - Rochelle, Karros, Jerry, Helen, the Blogger - came and went too quickly. Even Zinc's brainwave of a cross-examination came and went with no consequence. Overall it read ok, zipped along, did not overstay its welcome, but it really did have the feeling of being cobbled together with research and scenes maybe done for other books and being written to satisfy a publishing contract.

Le Pop
Le Pop
Offered by nagiry
Price: 14.50

5.0 out of 5 stars The best kept secret in music, 22 Sep 2011
This review is from: Le Pop (Audio CD)
You've not heard of Katzenjammer? Well your ears are in for a treat! Basically its a group of four very charming Norwegian girls/ladies who can knock out a great tune. This album has some stunners on it - Tea With Cinnamon; A Bar In Amsterdam; Play My Darling Play; Demon Kitty Rag are all musical classics - combining more musical styles than you care to think of and probably inventing some along the way. Eclectic is the word. But the end result is acoustic magic. European/American/Wonderful. And these ladies can PLAY. They rotate instruments and vocals throughout the album and their stage show. Bass, drums, accordian, guitar, keyboards....all sorts. Oh, just buy it!

The Rule Of Four
The Rule Of Four
by Dustin Thomason

2.0 out of 5 stars Spolit an otherwise good holiday, 28 July 2007
This review is from: The Rule Of Four (Paperback)
I have an unfortunate afflication. If I begin to read a book I can't put it down. I was in the grip of the Da Vinci Code when I saw this advertised with "Da Vinci" quote on the cover. A very poor read, slow, twisting and very, very unlike the Da Vinci code. Someone call Trading Standards.

We Shall Overcome - The Seeger Sessions / American Land Edition [CD+DVD]
We Shall Overcome - The Seeger Sessions / American Land Edition [CD+DVD]
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 10.58

5.0 out of 5 stars A very satisfying non-E Street Bruce product, 28 July 2007
After about the fifth person has come to me recently saying "I'm not a Springsteen fan at all, but I really like that Seeger thing" it tells you all you need to know. When I heard the rumours before it was released - folk album, Pete Seeger, banjo's, recorded on his ranch....it was quite depressing....until you put the record on.

Its not often you can put a Bruce CD on at a party either. I tried it the other day and there was a room full of tapping feet.

Top quality stuff!

Chart Throb
Chart Throb
by Ben Elton
Price: 7.46

2.0 out of 5 stars Ben owes my mum 14.99, 28 July 2007
This review is from: Chart Throb (Paperback)
To my right I have all Ben's books on my shelf. I love most of them. Popcorn, High Society are wonderful and when this one came out my mum got me it for Xmas from a local bookshop (nice to support the bookshops but she's knows not of the internet and places like Amazon) for 14.99 (the sticker was still on).

What a bad book this was. He obviously knows some of the bakground to the like of Pop Idol and some of it was interesting to consider but he trotted out the same jokes time after time in this and the narrative through the dialogue was cringeworthy. And Prince Charles? What was that all about.

Ben you are allowed a stinker now and again but please get back on form. My mam will also take a cheque thank you.

The Innocent Man
The Innocent Man
by John Grisham

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, troubling reading, 28 July 2007
This review is from: The Innocent Man (Paperback)
A great Grisham book. Not a "young Memphis lawyer takes on the Mob/FBI/Washington/The World" storyline (which I quite like) but one of a number of "departure" novels that Grisham is capable off. The outstanding Time to Kill, acceptable Painted House and awful Broker are outside of these themes. I approached this one with trepidation but became deeply hooked very quickly.

A masterpiece of narration and story-telling and a deeply troubling and worthy story at that.

I have to admit to peeking at the pictures but it didn't spoil it one bit. Its not a cliff-hanger/final twist book at all, but some of the photos would have been better put at the end.

Time On Earth
Time On Earth
Offered by westworld-
Price: 11.49

5.0 out of 5 stars I almost gave up on this after the first listen...., 28 July 2007
This review is from: Time On Earth (Audio CD)
To be honest I am terrible at listening to anything and "getting it" on the first listen and I was dangerously close to writing this album off.

When I first put it on in the car it poured fourth to me like a homogenous large dollop of 'Together Alone'-esque gloop. Not a single song stood out and I was greatly disappointed.

But just before I replaced it with my Snow Patrol, Killers and Springsteen discs I put it back on again and became quite fond of Tracks 1, 2 and 3. Then 4. Then 6. And so it went on.

Now I love it. If you are an ex-Crowdie get on board again!

RIP Paul.

The Life And Times Of The Thunderbolt Kid
The Life And Times Of The Thunderbolt Kid
by Bill Bryson
Price: 18.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Something of a Wolf in Sheep's Clothing, 20 Feb 2007
Reading other customer reviews I think its possible that Bill Bryson is misinterpreted by some of our reviewers. Yes, some of his book is written by his research, yes some of his stories are exaggerated and some is fantasy. But tell me, which books of his aren't?

Bill Bryson is the master of the jovial, chuckling and mischeiveous sideways glance.

For me this was a great book on a couple of levels.

First, the warmth. America in the 50's is a really god backdrop. The theatres, the baseball, the apple pie, the early days of television and hilarious stories of missed female flesh in the treehouse.

Secondly though, its the really powerful and delicately done stories of America's dark side; the Anti-Communist obsession, racism, failings on the space race, nuclear testing, the exploitation of countries by Corporate America. He never laboured the points or tackled them in an obvious way.

This book could easily be bedtime reading for the Anti-American, Anti-Globalisation and Anti-Everything briggade.

Overall its a sad book. Fond recollections of an era gone by.

I feel the same myself.

Until he writes another book.

The Best of Burt Bacharach
The Best of Burt Bacharach
Price: 6.45

1.0 out of 5 stars Why can't you have zero stars?, 20 Feb 2007
Bought this in the supermarket as I've always fancied some BB in my CD collection. All the good ones appeared to be on the disc. However, its just a collection of the instrumentals of his songs (therefore should it not be the 'music' of BB?). And to add insult to wallet injury the instrumentals are inferior to the original classics.

Totally misleading packaging.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 15, 2013 10:31 AM GMT

The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon)
The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon)
by Dan Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars Only pick up this book if you have nothing to do for 2 days, 26 Feb 2005
This is quite simply one of the most enjoyable books I have read in a long, long time. I had avoided because I thought it was becoming a cliche bestseller and would not deliver but I was so wrong!
I made the mistake of picking it up during a busy work week at 9.30pm and I couldn't put it down until 4pm.
My train to London the next day was 6.40am from Leeds and I was so hooked on it that I had to buy another copy at King Cross to finish it off on the way home.
Thats the first time a book has ever done that to me and I've read hundreds. Buy it. And enjoy it.
Also, do yourself a favour and get the liiustrated edition.

Page: 1 | 2