Profile for A. Wilson > Reviews

A. Wilson (UK)

Kindle Fire HD 7", Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 16 GB  [Previous Generation]
Kindle Fire HD 7", Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 16 GB [Previous Generation]

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 3 Feb 2013
I was looking forward to the Kindle Fire in the UK as a reasonably priced iPad alternative. However, I was sorely disappointed.

You are limited to Amazon's very small app store; there is no access to the larger Google Play without rooting the device and voiding the warranty.
The email app has a known and as yet unfixed bug where it simply stops working.
The 7" screen is, I have to say, annoyingly small after a while.

The device is a good idea, poorly implemented with some weird decisions (for example, they have explicitly made it impossible to customise the lock screen images; why would you do such a pointless thing??). Amazon customer service were excellent as ever and I have returned mine; but I cannot recommend this tablet.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 3, 2013 5:28 PM GMT

Groundsman  18-inch PVC Broom with Handle
Groundsman 18-inch PVC Broom with Handle
Offered by AP Motor Store
Price: 11.43

5.0 out of 5 stars An astonishingly good broom, 3 Feb 2013
This broom is excellently constructed, sturdy, and has handled leaves, mud and snow without breaking a sweat let alone a bristle. I wouldn't ordinarily review a broom but this really is exceptional value.

Chu's Day
Chu's Day
by Neil Gaiman

5.0 out of 5 stars Great style, our 13 month old loves it, 3 Feb 2013
This review is from: Chu's Day (Hardcover)
This is a fun book; our 13 month old does all the fake sneezing himself now and regularly requests this book :) The art is great, full of stuff to look at and talk about and entertain the adults too.

Discovering Statistics Using SPSS (Introducing Statistical Methods series)
Discovering Statistics Using SPSS (Introducing Statistical Methods series)
by Andy Field

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply an excellent resource, 25 Jan 2008
Andy Field has done the impossible - he's made statistics and SPSS accessible and sensible. This is hands down the best statistics textbook I have ever seen, and I am using it now in my Research Methods teaching. I know many psychologists who simply have a copy on their shelves for their own reference.

An excellent book and I look forward to it achieving its rightful place as the textbook for statistics in the behavioural sciences.