Profile for Festival Kidz > Reviews

Sunbathing in the Rain: A Cheerful Book About Depression
Sunbathing in the Rain: A Cheerful Book About Depression
by Gwyneth Lewis

2.0 out of 5 stars Not useful, 29 Nov 2013
I didn't find this book very useful at all. It wasn't cheerful and to be honest didn't even feel much like it was about depression! Just a rambling self-indulgent memoir with no real conclusion or any useful tips or ideas that I could relate to and take away with me to apply to my own situation.

Also the authors love of poetry and intellectual language made for heavy-going reading, which at a time when even the littlest of chores can be a challenge made the book quite inaccessible. The author said the book was designed to be dipped in and out of, but when I did this it made absolutely no sense at all.

The Secret of Happy Parents: How to Stay in Love as a Couple and True to Yourself
by Shaaron Biddulph

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, 29 Nov 2013
As a big fan of Steve Biddulph, especially his 'Raising Girls' book, I thought this would be a great read. It isn't.
I spent the first half of the book in what felt like a rambling prologue, wondering when the real content would start... and when it did it felt outdated (it is quite an old book) and I failed to identify with any of the scenarios painted.

His books on parent-child relationships are however, fantastic!

Gymnastics (DK Superguides)
Gymnastics (DK Superguides)
by Joan Jackman

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very thorough, 29 Nov 2013
Pictures of movements in time lapse are quite good to help the young gymnast visualise what his/her body should be doing mid-move. The problem is that so few moves are demonstrated / covered. There is just one double page spread for each area of gymnastics (floor, vault, beam,...) with only about 2-3 real moves illustrated. Some of the main apparatus are are completely omitted.

Beadalon 52-inch Bead Board
Beadalon 52-inch Bead Board

4.0 out of 5 stars As expected, 29 Nov 2013
Good value for the price. Perhaps a little too flimsy for heavy or rough use (like children!), but perfect for hobbyists.

Care for your Hamster (RSPCA Pet Guide)
Care for your Hamster (RSPCA Pet Guide)
by RSPCA

4.0 out of 5 stars Good overall guide and quick reference, 29 Nov 2013
Bought for my daughter (10) and it has been useful to look things up when we have a question about feeding or health etc.
Comprehensive enough for the average owner in the day to day care of their hamster, yet not overwhelmingly detailed.

Ukulele Songs
Ukulele Songs
Offered by Fulfillment Express

3.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelmed, 29 Nov 2013
This review is from: Ukulele Songs (Audio CD)
I love Pearl Jam (or rather did when I was a teenager!) and was hoping to rekindle some warm youthful memories through Eddie Vedder's distinct rasping voice, combined with my latest love: the ukulele...

Sadly I didn't find the album quite as exciting as I has hoped and although I have played it many many times in an attempt to get into it, I am still left feeling slightly underwhelmed.

It's not a bad album. In fact it has many touching and beautiful moments, but I just don't feel any great passion for it.

Vango Beta 450 Tent - Treetops/Dove (2011)
Vango Beta 450 Tent - Treetops/Dove (2011)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for festival families!, 4 Sep 2012
We LOVE this tent for weekends away. We do a lot of festivals and this tent is great because it fits a family of 4 in the sleeping area, has a big porch for all the muddy wellies and food etc, it pitches in literally 10 mins and is reasonable small and lightweight (compared to the humongous house-tents that other families seem to insist on bringing! If you just need somewhere to sleep - this is ideal.

Marvin and Molly
Marvin and Molly
by Joseph Theobald

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for festival kids!, 3 Aug 2012
This review is from: Marvin and Molly (Paperback)
My kids are 7 and 9 and grew up with Marvin the Sheep, as Marvin Wanted More was one of their favourite books as toddlers.
We go to lots of festivals now so I got this book of Marvin's latest adventures for them because he ends up at Glastonbury! They found the book really entertaining and read it over and over, even though really they are a little old for it!

It's an endearing tale about friendship and love, and being true to yourself... all told through the loveable characters of Marvin and his best friend Molly... PLUS, it has a festival in it so it's a great book for any kids about to go on their first festival adventure - or for those who have already been to a festival to remember the festival fun they had!

Thoroughly recommended!

Vango Beta 450 4 Person Tent 2012 - Black/Excalibur
Vango Beta 450 4 Person Tent 2012 - Black/Excalibur

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent size / weight compromise for weekends away, 14 May 2012
I have owned a Vango Beta 450 for 3 years now and have had no problems with it at all.
It has a huge porch, roomy bedroom for a 4-man, and goes up in about 10-15 minutes.
We go to a lot of festivals (2 adults and 2 kids) and find this the perfect compromise between having a huge spacious family tent and wanting something quick to erect and small enough to carry from the car park.
I have used it in all sorts of weather. When it is hot you can open both doors for a cooling through draft. In gale force winds and rain it has held up with no problems, and it has never leaked.

The only downside in rain is that when you open the door, water from the roof will run down onto the groundsheet. I don't see how to rectify this easily without adding a new pole and eave to the design. We just take an old towel to mop up the drips and that works fine.

Vango Beta 450 Tent (2012 Model)
Vango Beta 450 Tent (2012 Model)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant weekend tent, 14 May 2012
This review is from: Vango Beta 450 Tent (2012 Model)

Vango Beta 450 4 Person Tent - Black/Excalibur