Profile for Chris Archer > Reviews

Content by Chris Archer

Chris Archer "WW2 History biff." (UK)

Football Manager 2012 (PC/Mac DVD)
Football Manager 2012 (PC/Mac DVD)
Offered by Bargain Games UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter Rubbish!, 22 Feb. 2012
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
As stated utter rubbish and a waste of money. I used to love the FM franchise but I will now stay well away. STEAM is tonk! Especially when you serve in Afghanistan and can't get "on-line". I know there is meant to be an "off-line" version but what good is that if I can't even initialise the bloody thing! Extremely disappointed, gald that Sega et Al made a quick buck off us all - never again.

What's It All About?
What's It All About?
by Michael Caine

5.0 out of 5 stars A true Icon......, 22 Jun. 2010
This review is from: What's It All About? (Paperback)
This is a great book. Charting the history of this true Icon's childhood years through to his rise to fame.

I found that this book was a true "page-turner". Michael details his close run thing with fame and introduces a host of colourful characters throughout. I have to say that I can still remember the way he dealt with a "top" Holywood star that was behaving like a spoilt brat - sheer genius.

I haven't read this again in many years but there are so many passages that I can recall vividly. If you haven't read an autobiography and wonder whether to bother read this now. It really is an amazing insight into a genuine star.

Invasion
Invasion
by Eric L Harry
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Reading...., 22 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Invasion (Mass Market Paperback)
I have now read this book several times over the last few years and it's a great holiday read.

Obviously it isn't anything close to being true but it is quite thought provoking. It is an ideal read by the pool on holiday and well worth a look.

Blood Red Snow Memoirs German
Blood Red Snow Memoirs German
by G Koschorrek

3.0 out of 5 stars Left wanting more...., 27 April 2009
Having bowed to the other reviews and deciding to buy this book I was left feeling slightly dissapointed.

Whilst there are excellent accounts of the hardships and bloody combat experienced by this brave soldier it flits from one period in the fight to the next. It is only to be expected due to the German soldier being barred from keeping a daily diary for security reasons.

It just becomes slightly disjointed. I put this down to having read Guy Sajers excellent "Forgotten Soldier" (subsequently proved to be fake/inaccurate).

Whilst I completed this book in just a few days due to it's astonishing factual account on the horrors of war, I just felt that we didn't get the full picture of how the individual fitted into the bigger picture. That said, this is a great example of the ordinary soldiers account of the nightmare of conflict.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 7, 2010 7:49 PM GMT

D-Day: Piercing the Atlantic Wall: 2
D-Day: Piercing the Atlantic Wall: 2
by Robert Kershaw

4.0 out of 5 stars In depth but very enjoyable., 27 April 2009
I have now read 3 of Robert Kershaw's books on WW2. It is clear that he is an expert in his field and his books have always been very in depth.

This book is no different. I enjoyed the way that the German view of the batle was perceived. It allows the reader to get straight to the terror of the allied invasion and the realisation that the German war machine was going to be forever changed as a result of the landings.

If there is a slight criticism, then I would say that as per most D-Day histories it tended to centre around the landings at Omaha - with good reason due to the appalling losses suffered by both sides.

Another excellent piece of history supplied by Mr Kershaw - a true genius in the field of WW2 history, I look forward to his future work.