Profile for C. McLean > Reviews

Content by C. McLean

C. McLean (Stamford, CT)

Denon DM40DAB Mini System Black inc Q Acoustics 3020 Graphite (R)
Denon DM40DAB Mini System Black inc Q Acoustics 3020 Graphite (R)
Offered by HiFix

5.0 out of 5 stars You can't do better than this combination, 15 Jun. 2016
I love this system. I was looking for a compact stereo that would allow me to play FM radio during the day and CDs in the evening. I wanted to also play music from my phone and iPad, but I wanted higher audio quality than I could get from bluetooth. The Denon perfectly fits the bill. It's a very high-quality piece of kit, and it delivers phenomenal sound for a very reasonable price. Based on customer and on-line reviews, I opted for the Q Acoustics 3020 speakers rather than Wharfedales, Dali Zensors, Monitor Audios or Denon's own brand. I'm glad I did. They're fabulous, and in combination with the Denon receiver, they're just amazing. I highly recommend this system.

Q Acoustics 3020 Bookshelf Speakers - (Pair) (Graphite)
Q Acoustics 3020 Bookshelf Speakers - (Pair) (Graphite)
Offered by Stereo Solutions

5.0 out of 5 stars Cannot imagine a better pairing for the Denon DM40, 15 Jun. 2016
These speakers are simply stunning. I purchased them with the Denon DM40DAB mini stereo and it's a killer combination. The detail on acoustic, jazz and classical music is a joy, and the open, clear quality of vocals is remarkable. I originally thought I might need a sub to bring some depth to these bookshelf speakers, but I was wrong. They're surprisingly good on the low end. Am I happy with these speakers? Very.

Black Hard PU Leather Case for PANASONIC LUMIX LX3, LEICA D-LUX,Canon Powershot SX210,S90 S95 Digital Camera as DMW-CLX3.
Offered by BV-electronics

5.0 out of 5 stars Just perfect, 30 Jan. 2010
I love my Panasonic LX3 camera, but I was disappointed to discover that Panasonic no longer makes (or, at least, doesn't distribute to the US) the camera's leather case. So I spent hours searching the Internet for advice on another case that might fit the bill. Somewhere along the line, I came across a recommendation for this black leather case from the UK, and I ordered it straight away. It's just what I needed. The camera fits perfectly (someone wrote that the bump-out in which the lens sits is too snug -- it's not). And you can carry the case over your shoulder, or on your belt (which I prefer).

The case isn't real leather, but it's a high-quality vinyl that looks and feels like leather, so, unless you need that leather smell, it isn't a problem. The only real downside is that the case fits only the camera. There's no room for a spare battery or the battery charger, or even for a backup SD card. The solution is to pick up one of those handy, inexpensive Case Logic cases at Best Buy (I think they're actually meant for small video cameras, but no matter) and put your new, form-fitting black (faux) leather hard case (and camera) inside of it. When I'm at home, the Case Logic case and the peripherals stay in my closet and the camera goes in the hard case on my belt. When I travel, I put everything in the Case Logic case and pack it in my suitcase. This may seem like an inelegant solution to the problem, but I find it works perfectly.

The LX3 is not a shirt pocket camera, but it's still small enough that I don't want to carry it around in a clunky camera bag filled with lots of other stuff. This Black Hard Leather Case provides a handsome, protective "skin" for the LX3 to live in. It's just right. Why didn't Panasonic bother to make this product themselves?