Profile for Bettarn > Reviews

Content by Bettarn

Bettarn "W" (UK)

...I Care Because You Do [VINYL]
...I Care Because You Do [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars For all lovers of electronic music (especially on vinyl), 26 Jun. 2013
Aphex Twin - it's taking me ages to appreciate what people really see in his music, but I'm just about there. So it's a bonus for me that Warp are re-releasing some of his vinyl, otherwise, no doubt it would be fetching Boards of Canada prices and I'd probably not buy it on CD.

Great pressing and another brilliant record. If you have any interest in electronic music, Aphex Twin's releases must be on your list?

Hex [VINYL]
Hex [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Vinyl reissue sounds decent to me, 26 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Hex [VINYL] (Vinyl)
I have loved this album on CD for many years, so as a keen vinyl buyer again was interested in the reissue. The label has reissued a number of interesting recordings, but the sources for these is unknown to me (it's important, since a lot of vinyl is being re-pressed from CD masters - really, what is the point but to make a quick buck)?

It came up at a good price on Amazon, so I thought I'd give it a go. I'm not an audiophile, but I am pretty sensitive to sound quality. I was impressed to be honest. The pressing is quiet and of good quality and I was hearing things that I'd not noticed before (maybe I was listening more closely). I would definitely recommend this release to vinyl lovers (and the album itself is a must have in my opinion), even though the source is dubious!

Naim Edge Records: Amazon Sampler
Naim Edge Records: Amazon Sampler

2.0 out of 5 stars Glossy, 26 Jun. 2013
I was directed to this after taking an interest in some Neil Cowley Trio recordings. It was a free download, so I was happy to give it a go.

The styles are reasonably broad, but for my tastes just too commercial. The rockier tracks in particular I just felt were pretty cheesy and too slick. A couple of the tracks, that by Neil Cowley included, are fine but not outstanding. Maybe I expected more from a manufacturer of premium hifi gear. Maybe some people are more interested in the gear than what they play on it? To me, there is an awful lot of better music out there. But then, that is just my opinion! Give it a go if you prefer a more commercial sound.

Harmonium
Harmonium

4.0 out of 5 stars Some depth to this one, 28 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Harmonium (Audio CD)
I almost dismissed this one at first. I thought the songs were samey and the breathy girl / boy vocals overused.

But a few more listens and it was soon apparent that there's a hell of a lot going on in these tunes. It is a pretty long record, but I think it gets stronger towards the end. I actually don't think there's that much that should have been removed, though maybe a couple of tracks have quite simple hooks.

It is all very laid back and with a definite 60s sound. My daughter berated me for my taste in 'drone' music. Well, I do like drone, but this is much more than that. More delicate and complex than drone.

The North Pole Radio Station
The North Pole Radio Station
Offered by rbmbooks

5.0 out of 5 stars Just look at the sleeve, 28 Oct. 2009
Well, isn't it gorgeous?! I want a vinyl copy just so I can have it bigger!

Great music too. One of my faves from Pram.

Investigate Witch Cults Of The Radio Age
Investigate Witch Cults Of The Radio Age

5.0 out of 5 stars Broadcast Unfocussed, 28 Oct. 2009
This is great stuff. I don't know anything about the collaboration, but it's produced something that takes the more experimental moments from the band and experiments with them further.

For a lot of the record, normal song structures are dismissed to leave a lot of the familiar Broadcast sounds bobbing about in a wash of unfamiliar samples and ideas.

I reckon if you like most of what Broadcast have done so far, you'll probably have no trouble with this. But don't expect a 'standard' Broadcast record (if there is such a thing).

Yes... great stuff.

Everything
Everything
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars A bit of breathing space, 25 Jun. 2008
This review is from: Everything (Audio CD)
Bauhaus were a fave of mine as a dodgy goth in the eigthies. As chronic as I now find a lot of the stuff that I used to listen to in that time, Bauhaus still shine. Love and Rockets I struggled with for a while, but came to enjoy almost as much. So how about Tones on Tail?

I adore this album, frankly. I first owned an earlier incarnation, 'Night Music' (which I still play, to hear the tracks in a familiar order!), and I actually think that is the perfect title for it. It probably is best described like a fledgling L&R, crossed with elements of the final Bauhaus album (well, excluding the come-back album, that is)'Burning from the Inside'. Not so surprising when you consider that's the period in which it was recorded.

But it's the variety, experimentation and general oddness of the tracks which attracts me. I've never heard anything quite like before or since. And it's a record that I'm sure I could revisit anytime and still think 'oo I like this one'!

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to anyone who likes both Bauhaus and L&R. But really, it's well out on its own. A little gem (or in this form, quite a big, expanded, satisfyingly complete one!).

Xbox 360 Console (20 GB Hard Drive)
Xbox 360 Console (20 GB Hard Drive)

2.0 out of 5 stars Vroooooooom....., 22 Dec. 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Well I just bought my 360 yesterday.... and it's going back today :(

No problem with the games quality - I really don't want to let it go if I'm honest. Just that the mini-vac noise it makes, when spinning a game disc (this is constant for Halo 3 and PGR4) is unbearable. I tried hiding the damn thing away (without suffocating it!) and I still couldn't cut down the noise.

A lot of games are about atmosphere and you just can't get any with the amount of noise it generates. As far as I'm concerned, it's not acceptable and Microsoft have shot themselves in the foot as far as I'm concerned. I won't be in a hurry to get another and would probably get a PS3 if it had some half decent titles yet.

Anyway, I understand that the noise may not be an issue to many people. But my advice is, if these things do bother you, then approach with caution!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 26, 2007 10:39 AM GMT

Strange Times
Strange Times
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars No finer album, 15 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Strange Times (Audio CD)
This was the record that first got me listening to the Chameleons. It was knocking around in my girlfriend of the time's tape mountain, and it took a couple of plays before I took any notice.

Anyway, roughly twenty years later and it's still my number one. It always has an incredible ability to move me. In fact I'm so scared of it losing this, that unless I'm really sure it's what I want to listen to, I won't put it on! It has been with me through some really good and really bad times.

Obviously music is a personal thing, and I can't guarantee you'll love this record like I do. But read the reviews (don't take any notice of other bands namechecked in them - like many of the reviews say, the Chameleons don't really sound like anyone else) and look at the ratings of all their albums (the others are basically as fantastic). It's a rare band that gets such total and extreme adulation. Basically, if you like them, you'll adore them.