Profile for K. Campbell > Reviews

Johnsons Catnip Concentrated Spray 150ml 250g
Offered by Pet-Bliss - Delivering WORLDWIDE
Price: 4.99

1.0 out of 5 stars My cat loves catnip, but not this spray, 25 Nov 2013
I usually use dried catnip, sprinkling it wherever, and my cat loves it. However, this spray has no effect on Charlie whatsoever. I might as well be spraying water. I've shaken it up, as per the instructions, but to no avail.

Constantinople: The Last Great Siege, 1453
Constantinople: The Last Great Siege, 1453
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, wonderfully written account of the collapse and rebirth of a city., 9 Nov 2013
Roger Crowley is now officially one of my favourite writers. Not only does he have quotes from plenty of contemporary sources, he writes such beautiful descriptions as this:

"The moon held a haunting place in the city's psyche. Rising over the copper dome of St. Sophia, shimmering on the calm waters of the Horn and over the Bosphorus, it had been the symbol of Byzantium since ancient times. Like a gold coin dug from the Asian hills night after night, its ebb and flow expressed the antiquity of the city and the endlessly repeated cycles of time through which it had lived -- fluctuating, timeless and ominous."

This is a fascinating, wonderfully written account of the collapse and rebirth of a city (and empire) that itself was born from the collapse of Rome. The first-hand accounts of those who took part in the siege are heartbreaking. He describes Mehmet's surprise as he enters the city and finds not the mythical city of the "red apple," but a rather pathetic husk -- the city had never recovered from the Crusader sacking over two hundred years before and, as Crowley puts it, was even before the siege like a shrunken, old man wearing the oversized garments of youth.

But, just as I was getting super depressed over the lot of us humans and every darn thing we try to do, Crowley cheered me up by describing what Istanbul became. It was like it needed to die, so that it could be reborn as something even better, combining its Christian and Islamic and mercantile inheritance.

Feather Frenzy refill -3 pack - Fits Da Bird & Frenzy Cat Toys
Feather Frenzy refill -3 pack - Fits Da Bird & Frenzy Cat Toys
Offered by Purrs In Our Hearts
Price: 7.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Frenzy about sums up my cat's behaviour when she sees this toy., 1 Nov 2013
My cat loves the Frenzy toy and it's a great way to give her exercise in my small flat. She hardly ever hisses, but she hisses at this. In a good way!

Ratatouille Frenzy attachment- Fits Flying Frenzy & Da Bird Cat Toys
Ratatouille Frenzy attachment- Fits Flying Frenzy & Da Bird Cat Toys

5.0 out of 5 stars My cat loves it!, 1 Nov 2013
I alternate this mouse with the feather attachment -- my cat loves both of them. Really, a super product. I'll totally buy this product again -- though it looks like it's never going to wear out, so maybe not. I really like the fact that you can change the attachment on the string. Charlie is getting more exercise with this than she's had in ages.

Flying Frenzy Interactive Feather Cat Toy- 39" Single length Rod
Flying Frenzy Interactive Feather Cat Toy- 39" Single length Rod
Offered by Purrs In Our Hearts
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best cat toy by far I've ever gotten my cat -- she loves it, 1 Nov 2013
My cat, Charlie, usually gets bored with a toy pretty quickly, but I've had this for a couple months now and she still loves it -- it's quite a simple contraption, but somehow it mimics the movements of a live creature. The string is nice and long, the feathers at the end, so you can whip it around and it goes quite a distance without you ever having to move yourself. My cat is doing backflips now, and there is no longer that heavy thud when she lands. She's losing weight! I also appreciated the instructions that came with it, wherein it tells you to sometimes let your cat win and also that the creature should act like it's tiring out at the end. Maybe that's obvious, but I'd never thought about it before. We use it about twice a day. Sometimes, if it's been awhile, Charlie'll come and put her paw on my arm and fake bite me, or grab my leg, and I know it's because she wants me to get out the toy. As soon as she sees it, she runs behind the chair and goes into hunt mode.

City of Fortune: How Venice Won and Lost a Naval Empire
City of Fortune: How Venice Won and Lost a Naval Empire
Price: 5.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing, fantastic account of project management gone awry, 29 Sep 2013
Crawley's account of the sack of Christian Constantinople during the 4th Crusade made me tear up -- it's also made me a bit less bothered about how Venice is sinking, although the Franks come off even worse, of course. For some reason, I always just assumed Constantinople was destroyed by the Ottomans, but nope -- the Crusaders (French, German and Venetian) destroyed it and over 1,000 years of Christian history. Actually, more than that, as they destroyed things that were ancient even at the city's founding. Humans are idiots. This is the lesson one learns from Crawley's books. Entertaining idiots, at least.

This book evokes Lord of the Flies, because when the Crusade was first envisioned, the Franks were just like little boys playing at a romantic adventure. It was the world's misfortune that they happened to team up with a people so competent and brilliant -- the Venetians -- that they could entertain their grandiose ambition of taking Jerusalem. No one else would have considered it.

This book (and Crawley's other book, Empires of the Sea, which I also loved) also reminds me of Seinfeld or Curb Your Enthusiasm. The main players are similarly self-engrossed and blind to everything but their own self-gratification. Small deceptions to get out of small crises led to bigger deceptions and bigger crises, until it all became just a big, embarrassing mess. But, this is this the mess that made Venice.

The Greatest Game Ever Played: Vardon, Ouimet and the birth of modern golf
The Greatest Game Ever Played: Vardon, Ouimet and the birth of modern golf
by Mark Frost
Price: 9.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Golf, Heroin and Improper Postures, 25 Oct 2008
This is a fantastic book, even if one's not into golf. It reassured me that I was normal: I was getting so obsessed with going to the driving range, it was embarrassing -- I even lied to my dad once about where I was going, because he kept making remarks like, 'Everything in moderation.' As if it were a heroin addiction...well, I suppose heroin isn't good even in moderation.

Anyway, the people in the book actually slept with their clubs, which I don't do, and built their own backyard courses out of tin cans and dirt (which I can't do, because I live in an apartment).

But, my swing is still erratic. Sometimes I go and can't get the ball in the air, and then men insist on coming up to me and giving me tips, which I've gotten better at politely ignoring. One reason I got really bad for awhile was because I had so many mutually contradicting tips in my head -- some guy even came up and told me to 'spread my legs.' That just does not seem like a thing you should ever be able to tell a stranger.