Profile for J. S. Pitchford > Reviews

Content by J. S. Pitchford

J. S. Pitchford (England)

Lonely Planet Ireland (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet Ireland (Travel Guide)
by Lonely Planet
Price: 11.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Nicely laid, and the print size isn't to bad, 24 July 2014
I bought this for a friend who is going to Ireland. Nicely laid, and the print size isn't to bad. I have one of these several years ago hence the buy but suspect 'some interesting details' of various place have been left out perhaps for editorial reasons??

Scale Model Sailing Ships
Scale Model Sailing Ships
by John Bowen

5.0 out of 5 stars The book gave me nice close up pictures of items I am trying to ..., 24 July 2014
The book gave me nice close up pictures of items I am trying to model to scale.I'm working on a pilot cutter and some bits were very useful.

Sony MDR-ZX100W Outdoor Headband Headphones - White
Sony MDR-ZX100W Outdoor Headband Headphones - White
Offered by Digi Flash
Price: 10.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Listening Test, 12 May 2014
In the house or a quiet area the sound quality is very good with my Kindle or smart phone. Great bit of kit for the price. I bought two.
In an aircraft with pressurisation or on a windy beach it is an altogether different experience.
Even with full volume you can here the hiss from the pressure system or wind on the beach, they are not good enough when used this way. Perhaps I am being harsh with 3 stars?

Architects of Eternity: The New Science of Fossils
Architects of Eternity: The New Science of Fossils
Price: 5.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read, 11 April 2014
Richard Corfield's book has helped me understand the 'wider fields' of fossils. Informative and constructive, it has ensured I will continue to read more on this diverse area of science. It has challenged me from a biology perspective but all good educational material should.

Samsung NC10 10.2-inch Netbook (Intel Atom N270 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD, Windows XP Home, Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Birthday gift, 8 Oct 2009
After reading and considering the reviews from computer magazines I was able to make an informed decision on reliability, ease of use, weight, portability and most of all intended use. For her birthday my wife wanted a computer to read her emails and surf the net from various locations like the home network, place of work and public locations. This little wonder has fulfilled them all; it's even been to Egypt on holiday. I considered an ACER netbook but the Linux environment was not to her taste, great with me though. Our granddaughter uses it as does the rest of the family. Finally she also plays games on it! I am so impressed I am considering using it for my field service work.

War Horse
War Horse
by Michael Morpurgo
Price: 4.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Granddaughter's comments, 10 Mar 2009
This review is from: War Horse (Paperback)
I bought this book for my Granddaughter and in her word "The book was really awesome, really really enjoyed it" That's ok for me.

The Secret Scripture
The Secret Scripture
by Sebastian Barry
Price: 4.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth reading, 10 Mar 2009
This review is from: The Secret Scripture (Paperback)
A truly wonderful story with Ireland's civil war providing the backdrop. The subsequent consequences cover compassion, tragedy and a love that's difficult to comprehend. It also covers the truly awful situation the common person did find themselves in and the callowness of religion. Set initially in Sligo and moving to its end in Roscommon.

Wonderful Life: Burgess Shale and the Nature of History
Wonderful Life: Burgess Shale and the Nature of History
by Stephen Jay Gould
Price: 8.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Burgess Shale, 1 Feb 2009
This book was a wonderful read, the author expects you to come up to his level. It took time and concentration on my part to complete the book and I am glad I did. It led me to Richard Dawkins book the 'Blind Watchmaker' The development of the story line was good. It unfolds to show the brilliance, dedication and imagination of the various people involved overturning the original theory by Walcott. I liked the end, but you will have to read it.