Profile for John > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Minky Smartfit Felt Pad - White
Minky Smartfit Felt Pad - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the trick, 28 May 2016
I replaced my ironing board cover a few months ago, it was reasonably cushioned but not enough, so I decided to buy this felt pad. It has added a good amount of padding and, I think that it will be enough. I haven't ironed with it on yet but already I can feel the difference on the board. When I cut it, I didn't cut it neat, i just took the corners off with scissors as I wanted it to bend over the edges.

I suggest when cutting it, to not cut neat at first, just trim and test first, you can always take off more if you need to.

Remember that this is for underneath an ironing board cover (for extra padding) and not to replace the ironing board cover.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone: 1/7 (Harry Potter 1)
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone: 1/7 (Harry Potter 1)
by J.K. Rowling

5.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoyed it, 2 Mar. 2016
Read as an adult.

One of the best books that I have read. I like that it's in plain English, I'm not impressed by the use of overly flowery words that confuse, especially where a simpler word would be enough. Fortunately this book is an easy read in that sense. Lots of characters, plenty going on in the story, and while it's part of a series, you do get answers before and by the time that you have finished the book. Some surprises and a sprinkling of humour. I feel sorry for Harry at times, the things that he goes through. Hagrid is one of my favourite characters, I like that he is protective. I think that most people, child and adult, would like a giant like Hagrid looking out for them.

When I recently decided to begin reading Harry Potter. At first I felt like I was late to the party or something like that. But then I realised that a good book isn't like that. It's not a trend or a fad, it doesn't matter if you're reading it for the first time, years after most others have.

Swanson L-Arginine (500mg, 100 Capsules)
Swanson L-Arginine (500mg, 100 Capsules)
Offered by Nature's Remedies

1.0 out of 5 stars Made no difference at all, 13 Feb. 2016
For poor circulation including purple looking hands, I decided to give these a try. They have made no difference at all. I think that probably the best thing for circulation problems is exercise and diet. I even emptied one of these into water, thinking that if a much higher dose is maybe needed, then I could try it in powdered form. But when I emptied the powder from the capsule, I found that it doesn't mix in water, it's grainy, and the taste is bitter if you take it like that.

The Giver (Essential Modern Classics) (The Quartet Book 1)
The Giver (Essential Modern Classics) (The Quartet Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark society disguised as light, 2 Feb. 2016
This was read by myself, as an adult, I'm aware that it's a children's book.

The story is good and it makes you think about society and how things are not always as they seem. There is an unpleasant scene in the book involving a baby, it created an unpleasant image in my mind. The ending is left open, I'm not sure how I feel about that as, it does leave you to make up your own mind. And as the book is for children, I think that the idea is to provide information to the reader and let them decide on the final outcome. I know that it's not the author's job to provide all of the answers.

You can take various messages from the book. One that I took is that a society where you have more decided for you, less individuality, excessive formality, lack of privacy, and restrictions, in exchange for convenience, is not a good society.

Unfinished Business
Unfinished Business

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea, 22 Jan. 2016
I decided to give it a try, but a romance novel is not for me, I didn't find this interesting enough. I understand that a romance usually has a happily ever after. While that's not a bad thing, it takes away from some of the mystery. I couldn't relate to the characters, US characters, I'm British.

It was easy to read in that understanding what was happening was easy, but challenging to read in that it wasn't exciting for me or making me care what happened. So I found myself looking forward to finishing it.

The cover doesn't match anything from the book, I don't remember a scene like that in it.

TRANSPORE 3M SURGICAL TAPE 2.50CM X 9.14M -HYPOALLRGENIC - 2.50CM X 9.14M
TRANSPORE 3M SURGICAL TAPE 2.50CM X 9.14M -HYPOALLRGENIC - 2.50CM X 9.14M
Offered by Online4Perfume

4.0 out of 5 stars Serves its purpose well enough, 19 Jan. 2016
It seems to serve its purpose well enough. Because of the perforation, it is easy to tear just the amount that you need, it did leave behind some sticky residue after using it, but overall it's a decent product.

Solgar Ginkgo Vegetable Capsules - Pack of 60
Solgar Ginkgo Vegetable Capsules - Pack of 60
Offered by Union Jack Health

1.0 out of 5 stars No improvement for poor circulation, 16 Jan. 2016
I have been taking this for poor circulation. My hands turn blue/purple very quickly, I have had poor circulation my whole life. I started taking one capsule daily, then increased it to two daily. I have not seen or felt any improvement, not even slightly. As it's currently winter and as I write this review, today is very cold outside, so it's an ideal time of the year to test the effectiveness.

It was worth trying, for me personally it has made no difference.

Neuromancer
Neuromancer

3.0 out of 5 stars Purple Prose, 13 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Neuromancer (Kindle Edition)
My first taste of cyberpunk, and my last. Too much purple prose, it isn't a terrible story, but the author succeeds in confusing the hell out of me, over and over again. In the last few pages, he made sure that he confused me one last time. For some reason, there are brand names mentioned, so when a monitor or something else is mentioned, you are told it's a Sony or Akai or whatever brand it is.

I know that it's part of a trilogy, but the way it ends is weak.

If you like having to work hard to understand some of it, then you might enjoy this, I didn't. I get the feeling that the difficult to understand descriptions made perfect sense in the authors mind, but he didn't think about how the reader might find this. Or he didn't understand some of those parts himself and just threw them in anyway. I was pleased to finish it, Now I want to forget about it.

Borderlands: The Handsome Collection
Borderlands: The Handsome Collection

5.0 out of 5 stars Rated as really good by the relative that I gave it to, 3 Jan. 2016
The game was a gift for a relative. I'm not a gamer myself, so the review is 'not' my own opinion, the recipient of it though said it's really good. He is pleased with it.

Island Fling: a contemporary romance short story
Island Fling: a contemporary romance short story

3.0 out of 5 stars About 20% of the book is pad out, 9 Nov. 2015
Quite liked and enjoyed the story, unfortunately the story ends at 76% of the book, the rest is filled with an excerpt from a different book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14