Profile for Gordon Innes > Reviews

Content by Gordon Innes

Gordon Innes "g-man" (Glasgow)

Page: 1 | 2
Mpow® Swift Bluetooth 4.0 Wireless Stereo Jogger, Running, Sport Headphones Earbuds with Mic Hands-free Calling, AptX for iphone 6, 6 Plus, 5 5c 5s 4s ipad, LG G2, Samsung Galaxy S5 S4 S3 Note 3 and Other Android Cell Phones
Offered by Patox

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good sound!, 5 Feb. 2015
Received item eventually when Amazon Logistics rearranged delivery. Easy to charge and use and sound very clear. Very impressed.
Nice touch when calls come in and a voice tells you there's a call and what the number is! Very good

The Martian
The Martian

5.0 out of 5 stars Lost in Space, 16 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Martian (Kindle Edition)
Bought this book on the recommendation of a work colleague and wasn't disappointed.
I'm a science fiction fan though this didn't really seem like that. The science was all believable and probably a reality for the most part. It was basically Robinson Crusoe in space. It reminded me of an old movie i saw years ago called Robinson Crusoe on Mars.
Easy to read and nail biting at the end

LCD & Digitizer Touch Screen Complete Assembly for Asus Google Nexus 7 / 1st Gen
Offered by Wikiparts

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Prompt Delivery, 9 Jun. 2014
Ordered this after my other tablet was stolen on the train. My original tablet had a broken screen so I bit the bullet and bought this screen, It arrived within a couple of days and with a bit of online tuition i was able to fit and my old tablet is as good as new!

Google Chromecast HDMI Streaming Media Player
Google Chromecast HDMI Streaming Media Player

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, 9 Jun. 2014
Nice bit of kit that's a breeze to set up and use even without any instructions! Would recommend to anyone wanting to stream stuff from their phone or tablet

Topeak Redlite Mega
Topeak Redlite Mega
Offered by GsportsUK

3.0 out of 5 stars Bright enought but insecure attachment, 8 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Topeak Redlite Mega (Sports)
Only slightly annoying thing. Clipped the light to my Topeak saddle bag which it is designed to do and it promptly bounced off going down the road. That shouldn't happen!

Long Lost
Long Lost
by Harlan Coben

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read but not his best..., 11 May 2009
This review is from: Long Lost (Hardcover)
I've been a big fan of Harlan Coben's every since "Tell No One" was recommended to me by a book club I was in. Since then I've bought every new one as it came out. When I started reading his Myron Bolitar novels I got hooked on the character and his associates, Win, Esperanza and Big Cyndi.

Its been a long wait for a brand new Bolitar novel but overall I think it was worth it. As usual I munch this and got through it in a couple of days. If you try and quiz about it next week, I'll probably struggle to answer specific questions about the plot except for the twist at the end.

I thought that this was going a wee bit far. Ok its entirely possible for a group of Muslim extremists to steal some fertilised embryos and start raising blonde American kids to infiltrate American society. But surely, this is a bit of a rip off of The Boys from Brazil?

I won't go into any detail because I don't want to spoil the book for anyone else. Just be prepared to suspend belief at the end.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 7, 2009 5:20 PM BST

Cowon iAudio D2 16GB MP3 Player with DAB Digital Radio
Cowon iAudio D2 16GB MP3 Player with DAB Digital Radio

4.0 out of 5 stars Anything but Ipod, 2 Mar. 2009
Unfortunately, the hard drive on my iriver was starting to play up after over four years of constant usage. Despite ordering a new one to instal, I decided it was time to invest in a new media player.
Although I was tempted by the iPod Touch, I determined to avoid the Apple products and after some useful research I found Cowon, a manufacturer that I hadnn't come across before. All the forums raved about the D2 rather than the newer 02 and other players.

After some thought I order it from Amazon, deciding to include the DAB radio because I thought this was the way to go.

The package arrived a few days later. The player was fully charged (good start) and I was able to load a few gig of music before I left for my night class.

Loading music is straightforward drag and drop from my computer with no DRM fuss. It plays almost all the music codecs you can think of - mp3, wmna, ogg, FLAC, Apple lossless etc. In addition it is a very sharp video player and comes with software to convert to the required AVI/MP4 format.

The DAB and FM radio are fine so long as the earphone cable is at the right angle. There is also a useful photo viewer which is easy to browse.

There are only two button controls on the top of the player for on/off and for volume control. The rest is controlled by the nifty touch screen which works very well and can be navigated with the stylus provided or fingers also work well enough.

Battery lift is stated at over 52 hours for music play and 10 hours for video play. I haven't had to plug it in since I bought it nearly two weeks ago and although its been plugged into the USB socket on the computer its use has been nearly constant.

As well as coming with a 16Gb flash drive, there is an expansion slot for SD/SD-HC cards which come at up to 32Gb these days so the size isn't as restrictive as you might think. Although you need is a couple of cards which you can carry in your wallet and swap round when you want to change your style of music.

Only slight downside is the limitation of folder number to 500 and file number to 5000 on each drive. For those of us who have ripped to a small file size this means you can't get so many files on it as you might have wished.

Finally, the sound reproduction is fantastic and easily controlled through the JetAudio system which is part of the player.

On the whole, I heartily recommend this device to all those trying to avoid the iPod and those who aren't even!

36 [DVD] [2006]
36 [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Daniel Auteuil

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Depardieu/Auteuil Double Header, 13 Aug. 2007
This review is from: 36 [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
Recently, received this as a DVD rental from Amazon. After watching the film I was very surprised to note that the film had been made in 2004 and took such a long time before it was released in this country. Any film with Auteuil together is worth the price of admission (or rental depending how you see the movie). On balance, I thought that the performance of Auteil was better and certainly more believable. Certain aspects of Depardieu's part didn't quite ring true and I thought he was quite wooden throughout. I still can't work out why he ruined the stakeout for the security van gang. His motivation here was never clear.
That caveat aside, this was another film which shows how effortless it seems for the Frence to make classy thrillers. Rent Ne Le Dis A Personne if you don't believe me

The Woods
The Woods
by Harlan Coben

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff but...., 14 Jun. 2007
This review is from: The Woods (Hardcover)
As usual I couldn't wait to read this so I bought in hardback. Fortunately, his books are always heavily discounted it was almost as cheap as a paperback anyway.

Again this was an exciting page turner that keep you reading on to find out what happened in the New Jersey woods 20 years ago. Typically, there are a few plot twists which keep you guessing until the very end.

I thinks its good that he recycles a couple of characters from earlier books viz Loren Muse and Cingle Shaker but I did get the feeling that the main character, Paul 'Cope' Copeland was too similar in style and manner to Myron Bolitar. Maybe it was the wise cracks or something else but that was the feeling I got.

In the end it didn't spoil the book, just gave you the feeling that you'd been there before.

The Princess of Burundi
The Princess of Burundi
by Kjell Eriksson

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Addition to Genre, 8 Jun. 2007
I received this as a present from my wife recently and munched through it this week. Although there isn't a character in it as interesting as Inspector Wallender, the writer has plotted an excellent crime story with some likeable characters. There are some interesting musings on modern Sweden and the loss of certains ways of life. I must complain about Amazon's plot synopsis. Ann Lindell is at no point pregnant in this story rather she has already had her kid! It this a hint that the translations of Eriksson's books will be out of sequence like so many of these Scandinavian writers viz Mankell, Jo Nesbo etc?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 29, 2009 4:54 PM GMT