ARRAY(0xa7a98fd8)

Profile for Master S. R. Willis > Reviews

Content by Master S. R. W...

Master S. R. Willis (London)

Detox Tongue Cleaner
Detox Tongue Cleaner
Offered by Easywellbeing
Price: 4.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Not that effective, 27 Jan 2012
Although it comes as described and works to an extent- others seem to have had better use from it- for me it doesn't quite clean the whole tongue, the back and middle tend to escape from a thorough scraping so need to use a brush AND this product which I have found to be frustrating. It also doesn't completely remove the build-up I have found.

Love Wins: At the Heart of Life's Big Questions
Love Wins: At the Heart of Life's Big Questions
by Rob Bell
Price: 11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Only Love can win, 28 April 2011
To respond to this book I feel I need separate categories of critique;

Firstly, as a piece of writing. I have really enjoyed and got alot out of Rob's last few books and so, especially with the controversy surrounding this one, I expected the same. However, unlike both Velvet Elvis and SexGod, this had no references (excpet bracketed chapter references for bible verses). The preface god helling, however, the two chapters on heaven and hell I found to be slightly disappointing. In fact, the first half of the book especially seemed to be written using fragments of verses to back up other verses. It is not thorough, scholarly or in an academic way 100% reliable. However, that said, expect the usual flare and one-liner questions or statements. The second half of the book seemed to be written from a real excitement of the topics and that came across. This was inherently less scholarly written (less references, more enthusiasm!) and it worked better. It's what he's best at.

Secondly, the content. This has obviously been hugely controversial in certain christian circles. However, to alot of the world it has been unheard of (certainly this side of the pond). I struggle to see the problem of someone expressing his views. Perhaps authors like Brennan Manning, Richard Rohr, Henri Nouwen, Paul Tillich, and nameless others have already been voted against by the "evangelical" border control and this one sneaked in before being caught out as a virus of some sort. What he is saying is Good News. What he is saying is that God is real. Heaven is real. Hell is real. Our choices matter. However, what he is not saying is that your worth is not down to you, you have to be a 'christian' to meet with Jesus, to be saved by Jesus. He is not saying that the god of cliquey religion, fear, guilt and not saying or realising how you REALLY feel, what you REALLY think about God, is worth paying any attention. He's saying God's bigger, and better than we get. For this reason, and I think its flawed sholaricism only goes further to show that we do not win, Rob Bell does not win, his books do not win, it is in fact Love that wins, and that is bigger than any of us.

Although some bits are poorly written I understand his decision to write them such as they are, it is after all, more accessible to those of us who sometimes want only to hear Good News and not to critique the crap out of something 'til it lies in the abstract ether of our minds without power to transform. However, for the message, the honesty, the truth, the invitation and the enthusiasm, I highly recommend it. Perhaps not his most well written book but I would say his most raw and honest, and I would add exciting!

The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks and Win Your Inner Creative Battles
The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks and Win Your Inner Creative Battles
by Steven Pressfield

4.0 out of 5 stars Butterflies, 7 Nov 2010
This book was a blessing to a wannabe creative. It goes deep into the human, or creators psyche by which we find the creative expanse that lies within us, has been given to us. Pressfield sees and describes creation as something fundamental to human well being and behaviour. We were 'meant' to do this.

There will be those who read this book out of the Ego and where a manual of 'how to' creativity is preferred. Those people will be greatly disappointed. He talks of powers and forces that aid us, it is not the semantics or science of thesse the author is concerned with but our experience and interaction with them. So to the pinicity skeptics, maybe you were meant to go write a how-to book for other afraid creators to read.

This is an inspiration and an insight into what we're fighting, how to fight it, that we can win and that we're in it with everyone else. Inspiring and challenging, I feel butterflies.

The Ragamuffin Gospel (Authentic Classics)
The Ragamuffin Gospel (Authentic Classics)
by Brennan Manning

5.0 out of 5 stars Wrecklessly Loving, 6 Nov 2010
Brennan Manning addresses the Good News as just that, GOOD news. This book is painful to read as it delves deep into our selves. Manning is brutally and passionately honest about the gracious God of Jesus he has found. It is a life transformed. The humility he writes with banishes all analysing and boxing or intellectualising, it goes beyond.

Manning cuts right through the reiligosity of both left and right, through intellectual garbage that we invest so much identity in and speaks to the childlike longing in me and says "You're accepted" His sources and stories are varied and well used and only contribute to that radical grace that only transforms. This book is so ego free.

If someone wanted to know what Jesus offered in a book, this is the one I'd offer them.

Deep River
Deep River
by Shusaku Endo

4.0 out of 5 stars Deep, 6 Nov 2010
This review is from: Deep River (Paperback)
This is my first encounter with Endo. I didn't know what to expect. This is a novel of deep and raw humanity. At first I was prepared to get a sort of lesson about what Endo thinks about religion, as though it would be woven in a way to manipulate, I was very wrong. He provides the questions and heart-ache that affect each of us and offers a story for answer, each character unique and with their own hang ups and issues, each given a chance to be redeemed. There is no sense of being manipulated or preached at, it is very personal, it is very real and it is very inter-personal as well. We are humanity. If you let it, this book will get inside you, tear you apart and then again, if you let it, offer deep grace.