Profile for I. Davidson > Reviews

Content by I. Davidson

I. Davidson "ianmsd" (London)

3: Five Run Away Together (Famous Five)
3: Five Run Away Together (Famous Five)

3.0 out of 5 stars easy read but dated. Srong moral message, 12 April 2015
My 7 yr old likes the famous five stories though this one is partially about kidnapping so be aware in case your child is sensitive.
The story is well paced and resolved in suitably moral fashion. Some of the sentiments are a bit dated or harsh - the bullying by the famous five of the son of the two main baddies felt a bit harsh at times especially when it turned out he had no idea his parents were doing anything illegal. Preferred the first two books in the series so far.

1000 Mile 1548 Trainer Liner Sock White Mens Medium
1000 Mile 1548 Trainer Liner Sock White Mens Medium

3.0 out of 5 stars so so, 24 Nov. 2011
The socks are fine, but the double lining does not seem especially resilient. I just buy normal trainer liner socks now and I'm fine with those.

Pinball Games
Pinball Games

5.0 out of 5 stars Life lived in full colour through WWII and the Iron Curtain, 24 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Pinball Games (Kindle Edition)
Really excellent little book that I devoured in about two sittings.

It's a first person account of surviving (occasionally in some fine style and occasionally against the odds) during WWII in Budapest as German arrived and took over and then as the Russians arrived and took over.
I bought it mainly to learn about the period but the stories were so alive and the writing was really excellent as well and so it really sucked me in and I heartily recommend it.

George, the author, wrote it when he was 70 thinking back to when he was in his teens and early twenties - he escaped into Austria at the age of 25 in 1948.
Shows that terrible events are survivable and that life goes on, and makes one feel lucky to be just moaning about a financial crisis.

A fascinating insight.

King's Wrath: Book Three of the Valisar Trilogy (Valisar Trilogy 3)
King's Wrath: Book Three of the Valisar Trilogy (Valisar Trilogy 3)
by Fiona McIntosh

2.0 out of 5 stars This book trammelled me, 19 May 2011
Definitely an insipid ending as this book just gasps over the line. The previous books were much more engaging, whilst this final installment lacks credibility.

I know it's fantasy, but in this book the plotlines get more and more implausible. Strangers are taken into confidence immediately with incredible life threatening secrets for example. Characters don't really develop but become pantomime versions of their earlier selves, turning good into comic evil versions. Loethar is one of the better observed characters I felt (or Leothar as he is once misspelled) and Kirin Felt is also convincing, but most of the other characters are exceedingly one dimensional (eg Leonel, Piven, Gavriel de vis, Vulpan and Stracker). Overall it seems like it's just going through the motions.

Perhaps the most annoying aspect is that, as the threads are drawn together and the main protagonists are introduced to one another or to strangers at various times, they inevitably end up sharing their limited view of what's happening to get a more holistic view, but for the reader it means the key aspects of the story are endlessly retold again and again. And it wasn't that interesting the first time, sadly.

Like the author, I struggled to the end but I was reading quicker and quicker and every time I picked up the book I felt like a Valisar near his aegis. In the end I felt quite trammelled.

Used - Browser 3.0: The Internet Design Project (A Creative Review book)
Used - Browser 3.0: The Internet Design Project (A Creative Review book)
by Patrick Burgoyne

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed web creatives lament the rise of practical usability, 13 Mar. 2007
A rather unsatisfying confection in the end for me (an internet marketer rather than creative/designer).
Might be brilliant for inspiring creatives but I doubt it and I'm just not sure a book is a great medium for showcasing websites these days..

The authors profile 50 websites from various categories. I could not discern what criteria were used for choosing the 50 but some are big and predictable (though one senses that mainstream sites like Amazon and eBay are only grudgingly included in the list) whilst the majority are slightly interesting and innovative but generally pretty marginal in impact (and certainly in relevance to online marketers if that's your area).

Definitely some minor interest and some nice screen shots (if that gets you going) but with the vast array of goodies on the web this was seriously disappointing, pretty much out of date as soon as published and definitely not worth a fraction of the £[...] I paid for it.

Definitely avoid if your interest is website design for the majority. Probably avoid if your interest is leading edge web design too (as it's poor value).

Critical Mass: How One Thing Leads to Another
Critical Mass: How One Thing Leads to Another
by Philip Ball

5.0 out of 5 stars People as particles, 11 July 2005
I found this book incredibly thought provoking. It would have been much quicker to read in fact if I hadn't been constantly writing down ideas that occured to me as I delved into its chapters.

It covers an enormous amount of ground and is, mostly, very readable despite sometimes covering a whirlwind of several hundred years of theory.

The main gist of the book is applying physics theories to human social interaction (be it in crowds, queues, crime, traffic, war, politics, markets, towns, businesses etc). It highlights how certain signature patterns seem to turn up time and time again in all these disparate theatres of human life.

It covers the familiar "bell curves" of probability theory but it was most interesting (to me) when discussing phase changes - for example how a liquid line of traffic suddenly morphs into a solid because one car (particle) brakes too fast and the knock on effects this has.

I'd strongly recommend this book as I think it's given me a better understanding of how certain types of change happen. Now I know why you wait ages for a bus and then three turn up at once.