Profile for Og Oggilby > Reviews

Content by Og Oggilby
Top Reviewer Ranking: 925

Og Oggilby "Og Oggilby" (North London)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Sony FDR-X1000V 4K Action Camera
Sony FDR-X1000V 4K Action Camera

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, beautiful images - great for Action men / Women, 29 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These days, because of the multi-function nature of Smart phones, tablets, etc. Anything that is 'specialist' - ie predicated upon the notion of doing one thing and doing it well, must have the potential to make it a 'must have'. This Sony FDR-X 1000V 4K Action Camera is one such device. 'Action' being the operative word - it's pitched at youngsters who want to hurtle downhill on a snowboard, abseil across valleys, mountain bikers and climbers. Being a couch potato, it's not for me, but my very active nineteen year old son absolutely loves it, and has put it to good use - he's attached it to his bike, filmed his band rehearsing and filmed in low light and daylight situations. The screen menu is not as good as it could be, but as youngsters seem to absorb the working processes of devices by a process of osmosis, he has encountered no problems. Not cheap, but I think it will be eagerly snapped up by an action man or woman in your life.

Philips S5420/06 Series 5000 Aqua Touch Electric Shaver with Smart Click Precision Trimmer

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but I won't give up the wet shave, 26 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Being a life long wet-shaver (well, for as long as I've been shaving, that is), I occasionally do try out electric razors to see if they've improved. My problem with electric razors is that you just don't get that clean-shaved feeling - it leaves stubble like a fine emery board. ANyway, through the Amazon Vine programme, I was sent this razor - the Philips S5230 / 06 Series 5000, and I thought I would give it a whirl.

Firstly, it doesn't feel particularly substantial, being of a lightweight plastic construction. Furthermore, when it need to be charged, it doesn't have a charger base that you stand the razor in - a power cable is simply slotted in to the bottom end of the razor. It doesn't take too long to charge - about an hour. When it came to it's actual performance, it was OK; not too noisy, the triple heads do a reasonable job of reaching hard to get at areas, and it doesn't have that sort of 'tugging' sensation that I have experienced with other electric razors. However, I have to report that I experienced a good deal of razor burn to my neck, where the shaver heads had abraded the more sensitive skin area there.

The actual shave was, as I say, OK, but I did have to go over the shave with a wet razor to get that 'close shave' feel that I prefer. I will give this razor to my seventeen year old son to use; I don't think that I'll persevere.

Official Release Series Discs 5-8 [Vinyl]
Official Release Series Discs 5-8 [Vinyl]
Offered by Assai-uk

4.0 out of 5 stars Music is Priceless; packaging under par...buyer beware, 23 Jun. 2015
Neil Young, being the kind of artist he is, makes some curious decisions as regards his now voluminous catalogue of recorded works. Finally having righted the perceived wrongs of, say, the mix on his first solo album, and having remastered the likes of 'Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere' , 'After The Goldrush' and 'Harvest', he now decides to handle the trickier items in his body of work in a typically idiosyncratic fashion. Exhibit A: this set of four albums - 'Time Fades Away', 'On The Beach', 'Tonight's The Night' and 'Zuma', only available in a four vinyl album box. Other reviewers have noted some of the technical and packaging issues - the gatefold sleeve of my copy of 'Tonight's The Night' decided to divorce from its other half soon after opening (even if the album itself sounded utterly wonderful), and for a geezer who prides himself on getting quality issues right, someone working on Young's behalf has got it woefully wrong here. 'Time Fades Away', an album Young has distanced himself from on account of it bringing back unhappy memories of the tour it was from, is actually at times a sublime album - the song 'LA' is wonderful, as is 'Love In Mind'. 'On The Beach' remains one of Young's finest albums, and in this version, 'Tonight's The Night' sounds more wired and spooky than ever. You can really hear the room in the recording, the musicians moving about, and the whacked-out Young moving off-mike in the middle of a vocal, making the album a kind of musical high-wire act that is staggering. On the other hand, I didn't like 'Zuma' as much at the time, but I do now. I think this is a great set, especially for the vinyl conisseur - happily, my discs were mercifully flat and scratch / pop free, but I feel it is over-priced and underpackaged for what it is, hence the docked star. Young's fans will have to have it, but the price will put off the casual browser.

Pronounced Leh'Nerd Skin'nerd (Gatefold) [VINYL]
Pronounced Leh'Nerd Skin'nerd (Gatefold) [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking debut album!, 23 Jun. 2015
Lynyrd Skynyrd debuted with this album in 1973, and to me, it's still their best. At the time, some critics moaned that with a three lead guitar line up, they didn't make as much use of them as they could have, but that didn't bother me then, and forty-odd years later, the same applies. 'Pronounced...' is simply a great collection of crackling rockers, soulful ballads and 100 % pure Southern Rock and Roll. The original 'Freebird' is here, and it sounds as joyous as ever, but I've always loved side 1's ballad, 'Tuesday's Gone', which has just a hint of Country in there, as well as some cool mellotron chords. The rockers - 'I Ain't The One' and 'Gimme Three Steps' are economical but punchy, and vocalist Ronnie Van Zandt is killer throughout. Great album, and it sounds at its best on black vinyl. I love it.

Cry Tough
Cry Tough

5.0 out of 5 stars Cry Tough, Nils Second Solo album is his besr, 19 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Cry Tough (Audio CD)
'Cry Tough' was Nils Lofgren's second solo album, released originally back in 1976. I loved the album then, and I love it still. It's just a great collection of songs, played with real skill, and superbly produced by David Briggs and Al Kooper. Lofgren sings brilliantly, plays wonderful guitar and keyboards throughout, and there was the definite feeling that he was a star in the making. That didn't quite happen for Nils, and he ended up as a super sideman for Bruce Springsteen and occasionally Neil Young. This is his best solo album though, and hasn't dated at all. Great record.

Hope You Like It
Hope You Like It

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Hard Rockin' Pop from Brain 'AC/ DC' Johnson's First Band of Note!, 18 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Hope You Like It (Audio CD)
Remembered (if at all) these days as being the band that launched future AC / DC vocalist Brian Johnson, Geordie inhabited a musical terrain (on record at least), somewhat similar to that of Slade. Their songs were short, strong on choruses, and very direct musically. Johnson was a great singer even then, and even when the songs aren't great, the energy exhibited by him and the rest of the band is infectious. I bought their debut single, 'Don't Do That', back when it was originally released. It's an odd kind of East European stompalong, briskly played. Guitarist Vic Malcolm was a good, unflashly guitarist, and the rhythm section of Tom Hill and Brian Gibson were similarly talented. There's some excellent, hard rocking pop stuff here, a little of its time, but there's no denying the fun that the band seem to be having. This reissue is nicely annotated, the sound is good, and comes with bonus tracks. Likeable, enjoyable, if hardly essential.

The Koln Concert [180g VINYL]
The Koln Concert [180g VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent performance, beautifully recorded, 18 Jun. 2015
Keith Jarrett's 'The Koln Concert' was one of those albums that I have always been aware of, since it was first released back in the mid-1970s. I was put off buying it, because I thought it would be impenetrable Jazz noodling. However, a couple of years ago, the broadcaster Paul Gambaccini did a BBC Radio 4 documentary on the recording in his 'One Night Only' series on historic in-concert recordings, which I found very illuminating, and revived my interest in wanting to hear the album. I decided to purchase the vinyl reissue version, and I am so glad that I did. It's not a 'Jazz' recording per se; in truth, it doesn't fit any tidy genre pigeonhole. It's simply a beguling, wonderfully immersive outpouring of creativity from a supremely gifted musician, at a real peak of his musical powers. In four side-long tracks, the quality of the piano recording is wonderful, and the microphone picks up Jarrett's exclamations of joy at what he's creating. Great Record

Roxy Music: The Complete Studio Albums [VINYL]
Roxy Music: The Complete Studio Albums [VINYL]
Offered by MediaMine

5.0 out of 5 stars Eight of the finest albums ever..., 10 Jun. 2015
As Bryan Ferry would appear to have drawn a line once and for all on any new Roxy Music recordings, I guess that we're now just going to have to make do with the band's eight studio albums. As they were all released in the vinyl era, it makes sense then that the music is best heard in that format. The Complete Studio Albums is just that. Eight of the finest albums of their age, with the original sleeve art faithfully reproduced, pressed on heavyweight vinyl and housed in a sturdy box. The five albums that they produced in the 1972 - 1975 period, where they took a bit of a hiatus before returning with 'Manifesto', form an amazing body of work. The three later albums are slightly less of classic status, however I am willing to go along with the notion that 'Avalon' may just be the apogee of Ferry's 'Elegantly Tailored Melancholy'. The first Roxy Music album still sounds utterly otherworldly, a dazzling patchwork of musical strangeness that they never topped. However, in it's way, 'For Your Pleasure', being only slightly less Out There is a cigarette paper's width away from equalling that. I could go on, but I think that there are few more perfectly poised and immaculate recording catalogues by any other artist. Beautiful stuff, that I love even more now than I did Way Back When.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 10, 2015 11:15 PM BST

ZAGG Pocket Keyboard for Tablets - Black
ZAGG Pocket Keyboard for Tablets - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish and efficient Keyboard for Tablets and Smartphones, 10 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have only used this in conjunction with my iPad, not being a smart phone owner, but I do confess to being very impressed with this pocket keyboard. I still prefer an old-fashioned keyboard as opposed to an on-screen version (Old School me), but I found ZAGG Pocket Keyboard for Tablets very user friendly. I used the keyboard for a lengthy rail journey, and it worked well, and when it was time to put it away, it folded neatly into it's modest box. It looks great too, very stylish, and I did notice a couple of admiring / intrigued onlookers interested in the keyboard.

AnySharp Plastic and Stainless Steel 3-in-1 Box Grater, Black
AnySharp Plastic and Stainless Steel 3-in-1 Box Grater, Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Too small to replace your standard grater, alas..., 8 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I first read of this little (and I do mean little) gadget, I was intrigued by the concept a food grater with interchangeable surfaces, and a built-in box to catch the gratings or vegetable / fruit peel in. So far, so good, and although the device does indeed perform its functions well - the grating / peeling plates are very easily removed from the catching box, by way of a small pivot and a click-lock, the actual catching box is really small. You'd probably have to empty it every time you peeled a large potato, for example. For grating stuff like chocolate or nutmeg, I think it would be useful. But if you wanted to grate a half-pound block of cheddar, I think it would simply be too small capacity. So, if it's small quantities of stuff you want a handy grater that'll fit in to your palm, this would work fine. Anything larger, then the old fashioned grater would be difficult to replace.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20