Profile for Anime Brighton > Reviews

Content by Anime Brighton

Anime Brighton "Anime Brighton" (Brighton, UK)

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (Extended Edition) [Blu-ray] [2001]
Dvd ~ Elijah Wood
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing new at all, 3 Jan. 2013
Ok we all know the movies and love them or hate them you know what your going to get.... Why did I give this only two stars?? I bought it as a present (don't care much for the film to be honest) but I got them separately because I thought this was a one disc edition on blu ray of my boyfriends favourite film. (If I have to sit through it I at least wanted to watch it without changing the bloody disc!) but it's not, it's one film over two discs the same as the box set, just minus the special features! I wasted my money when I could have bought a box set for the same price and had special features too. Avoid this rubbish and get the box set!!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 5, 2013 5:44 PM GMT

Dinosaur Revolution [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dinosaur Revolution [Blu-ray] [Region Free]

3.0 out of 5 stars No special features on mine... Is it only me?, 28 Aug. 2012
Ok review of the programme first..... Good, not brilliant but a nice addition to my collection. The storys are good and the dinosaurs are designed in a really different way to what has been done before. The one on the cover is a t Rex, I don't know how accurate that it, but does make old Rex look scary for the first time!
Ok now the bad..... Some very dodgy Dino facial expressions! It is almost Disney in how some of the dinosaurs look at each other, and even the camera!
They have surprised comical looks at some times..... Not realistic at all in places. And it does distract from taking this too seriously. Not at all like planet dinosaur or walking with, or last days....
And my biggest beef is that I can not find the special features on this at all! It is the second discovery channel blu ray I have that has none of the special features advertised on the back. I tried playing in a different player, ( I have a ps3 ). And still I can't find them. No button on the menu... Nothing! I contacted discovery and they said contact the seller.... Not helpful at all! But I urge anyone else with the problem to contact them and make them aware that there blu rays are flawed!
A So so programme with blu ray flaws... Good, but I have got better, much better! Try last days of the dinosaurs, flying masters, or planet dinosaur! Much better!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 24, 2012 2:04 PM BST

Last Days Of The Dinosaurs [Blu-ray]
Last Days Of The Dinosaurs [Blu-ray]
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best I have seen since planet dinosaur, 28 Aug. 2012
I am a big dinosaur documentary fan and this one is one of my favorites. It does come with one warning though.... If you have seen or own clash of the dinosaurs, then I warn you it does have some re used footage from that! To be fair I didn't notice a HUGE amount, but I suspect there is quite a bit there in the first twenty minutes of the programme. But it is well done footage and I can forgive it to be honest. That said, this is NOT like clash of the dinosaurs. It is much better, and does not just use the same images over and over and over again. And the new footage made for this programme is brilliant! The flying dinosaurs when..... I won't spoil it, but truly great animation!
It is a long programme that moves forward, rather than just going over the same topic for twenty minutes. It is well made and has pride of place on my Dino documentary blu ray shelf :).
I wish they would make more 90 minute programmes of this caliber. And at a good price too! I can see this one becoming one of the top documentary blu rays in the same vein as dinosaur planet and walking with.... I know I will re watch this many many times!
Great effects, good story, and great price..... C'mon.... Buy it and see for yourself!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 1, 2013 6:59 AM BST

The Dino King 3D [Blu-ray]
The Dino King 3D [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Han Sang-ho

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as bad as your first impression, 28 Aug. 2012
I thought this should have a review that actually tells you what this is!
I am a HUGE dinosaur fan and when I saw this on amazon I was unsure exactly what this was going to be? A movie? A documentary? Well wonder no more...... It is a bit of both to be honest. It is very much a movie story line ( I won't spoil it thought, think march of the dinosaurs ), but with only a voice over of the main dinosaur ( no actual talking dinosaurs, and no narrator as such, and no floating heads ).
All in all I would say it was trying to get younger viewers to get into the Whole Dino documentary thing, but is a bit too dark in some places to be honest..... It does have some big flaws! The voice of the dinosaur changes as HE grows up, but the infant Dino voice is quite painfully obviously a woman! It is obvious from the beginning that the main character is a male, and I thought the girl voice was a second character to be honest. It took me a good twenty minutes to realise it was an attempt to make it sound like a young boy, EPIC fail I'm afraid, but if you just accept it and enjoy the film the voices do get better as the film goes on.
Like I say I am a huge Dino fan and own all of the dinosaur documentary blu rays I can find, so I can see some very bad mistakes... Grass being my first one that I spotted.... I mean i know it was there in the last days of the dinosaurs, but I mean everywhere is covered in grass in this film! A small thing maybe, but it did start to bug me. And there is a huge mistake in the form of two different dinosaur species wanting to breed! And it's a big part of a scene in the film and I was like..... Wtf? actually makes me think that if disneys dinosaur, and dinosaur planet breaded, this would be the result.
But anyway...... The film as a whole was good, it's not dinosaur planet or walking with.... But still a good watch and the special effects and 3d are done well.
To be honest for the price of £10 this is a pretty must have addition to your Dino blu ray collection. Just enjoy it for what it is and I would try not to compare it to other Dino documentarys or movies you may have seen. It is a cross between two genres and as such is a good attempt. I would recommend this if you want a good looking film to get lost in for 90 minutes and be able to not have to think about it too much!
At the end of the day.... I am glad I bought it. :)

Battleship - Limited Edition Steelbook (Blu-ray + Digital Copy + UV Copy)
Battleship - Limited Edition Steelbook (Blu-ray + Digital Copy + UV Copy)
Dvd ~ Liam Neeson
Offered by FAB WAREHOUSE

5.0 out of 5 stars Not as cheesy as expected, 25 Aug. 2012
This is actually a really good film! I was expecting something a bit cheesy and a bit rushed together, maybe like John carter. But I was pleasantly surprised! This is a great action/alien film that sort of made me think it was a bit like if the you joind the movies transformers and independence day together.
Ok.... So it was never going to be a gritty real life drama movie, I assume that most people have seen the trailers at least. But it is a good action film with top class special effects and some pretty decent acting! Rihanna was by far the most under used character in this film as in my opinion the girl can act! And while the special effects are awesome, I would have liked to have seen more of the alien ships and a few more attacks on land....l. But the ones we did get to see are great! And I don't remember one person saying "you sunk my battle ship" thank god!
So all in all if you liked transformers, but thought I had just a few too many explosions, then this is the film for you! Under rated by far! If you don't believe me then rent it...... Then you will want to go out and buy your own copy.

Blood: The Last Vampire [Blu-ray]
Blood: The Last Vampire [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Gianna Jun

4.0 out of 5 stars not quite marmite, 6 April 2012
Ok, I write this review as a huge fan of the original anime....i mean it is one my all time favorite movies. I feel it only fair that i let you know that before you read my review, as it is easy to moan about a re-make of something you love!
First of all, to all fans of the original.... this is not a loyal re-make. the story differs from the anime in many many ways... it has a new main character, it has a new ending and it has two new sub plots. i am sure that this has annoyed many hard core fans! and there were some bits i wanted to see in live action and feel a little cheated that i never got to see it.... The whole halloween/ halloween party is missing! :( the vampires are not done too good either. i mean i loved the original design and these vampires just feel like extra costumes left over from buffy!
and i cant forget to mention some of the acting.... now i will be honest, i like the acting of saya and alice..... very well done. but the rest of the cast feels like they have picked up the first people through the door at the audition. in fact i would say that the biggest let down of this film was simply budget... if your going to make a film that already has a huge loyal fan base, wait until you can afford to do it properly.
Ok.... i gave this film 4 stars.... one of those stars was simply because my boyfriend liked this film so much!
the other three stars are well desreved. the actress playing the lead was amazing! i fully intend to imdb and see what else she has been in! i also got this at the price of £5!!! a bargain for any film to be honest. and if you did like the original i think you will enjoy this enough to warrent spending a little money on it. and if you haven't seen the original it will give you decent insight into what it is about.... But you will like the anime much much more!!!!!

The Halloween Tree [VHS]
The Halloween Tree [VHS]
VHS

5.0 out of 5 stars A Halloween classic that should be on dvd by now!, 6 Nov. 2008
Oh my Gosh! i have this VHS tape and my nephew and I watch it every halloween! Ray bradbury wrote a wondeful book, but the cartoon network made it into a classic animated movie that will remain one of my favorite memories of halloween!
The story in this movie is much more streamlined than the novel, and the story goes by in a far more fluid way. You find yourself actually wanting to see more of the history of halloween around the world. (Vampires... anyone??)
This movie tells the story of a group of children who go looking for there friend Pip on a halloween night. The only problem is that a soul grabbing man named mounshroud is also looking for the young boy.
In there search they find out the history of halloween around the world and try to figure out a way to get Pip back without him losing his soul! (It's not as childish as it sounds!)
I urge anyone (Any Age) who has not seen this to rent it, buy it, borrow it, download it! it will be a story you remember and cherish for many years to come.
And i really hope they put this on DVD soon! children and adults around the world are missing out on such a great movie!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 30, 2013 12:25 AM BST

Transformers - Season 3 & 4 [DVD]
Transformers - Season 3 & 4 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Frank Welker
Offered by WorldCinema

4.0 out of 5 stars Not all that bad!!!, 10 Dec. 2005
Ok, i am old enough to remember transformers being shown on tv, and old enough to remember having my own bumble bee transformer. but what are all these reviews about??? rubbish animation? Hello, this aint your newly made cartoons with computer animation.. or even computer aided paint jobs! This is how they made cartoons back in the day! (I much prefer the older style of animation...)
And all the talk on all the transformers box sets saying about story lines being rubbish.... ITS A CARTOON!! it was made to sell toys and entertain us. Who cares if the story lines are excellent.. all we watched this for was to see some giant car or truck turn into a huge robot!
ok now that i have that out of my system.... Season 3 and 4 of transformers is nothing like seasons 1 and 2! its all change in the world of transformers, the feel of this box set is way different from the first 3 box sets. it just feels more upto date, more exciting and cleaner. As im sure you know these two seasons take up where the movie left off..... and for once a cartoon series remembered the film, it didn't try to change it the way they do now...(See any disney cartoon series.. they have nothing to do with the movie that spawned them!)
And despite all the other reviews, the animation on this box set is just as good as the others.... ok so it looks a bit poor compared to modern cartoons, but like i said this aint no modern toon! if you want a modern cartoon i suggest you buy transformers R.I.D... < Very good animation! But if you just want some cool 80's toons with pointless but entertaining storys then this is the set to buy.
But be warned, see the movie and refresh your memory before viewing... alot of stuff happens in the movie that i forgot about.
All in all a top notch box set, A top notch series, And a top notch buy!!! Well worth the 15 quid!!!