Profile for paufound > Reviews

The Templar Revelation: Secret Guardians of the True Identity of Christ
The Templar Revelation: Secret Guardians of the True Identity of Christ
by Lynn Picknett

4.0 out of 5 stars Scary Stuff!!, 16 Jan. 2004
I must admit to buying this book in order to find out about the Knights Templar. After the first section, I soon realised this book is NOT about the Templars and their inclusion has little more coverage than other sects and societies ie Cathars, Rosicrusions and Freemasons. The book basically questions the beliefs and teachings of todays church and to the uneducated on these matters (a group that I fall into) I believe this could be very dangerous reading. The authors have undoubtedly done their homework and with the references they supply to back up their findings, I doubt that even the most devout christian could not finish this book and dismiss it as total rubbish.
Though I am not a churchgoer, I have had a christian upbringing and from an early age have been led to believe that the teachings of the bible are to be taken seriously, that the birth and death of Christ are probably the two most critical events that have ever taken place and the church have got everything right and are the main upholders of the teachings we are all familiar with.
I now have very serious, and worrying doubts as to whether I have been misled all these years. The evidence produced in the book that there is another 'truth' can be either taken on board or dismissed either in part or totally but the assumption that the church are actually aware of a different truth and have chosen to deliberately suppress it I find a little more worrying. Can I still take the church seriously and treat it with the respect I always have done? Can the beliefs of the Templars and other secret societies be taken seriously? Someone must be right and someone must be wrong. Perhaps we've all got it wrong and the only thing I believe for certain is that one day we'll all find out just how right or wrong we've been.

A Time to Die: The Untold Story of the Kursk Tragedy
A Time to Die: The Untold Story of the Kursk Tragedy
by Robert Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars A fitting memorial., 21 April 2003
The truth, or as near as we will get, to the tragedy that had the nation glued to the television/news reports. How the cutbacks affecting the Russian Northern Fleet led to unsuccesful attempts to free the survivors and the delay in obtaining western assistance is explained in a factual manner that removes any doubt that there was any neglect on the part of the Russians with regards to the well-being of those trapped in the Kursk. As well as detailing the reasons for the reluctance of the Russians to allow western military personnel access to the Kursk, this book gives an easy-to-read account of the logistics involved in getting the Norwegian vessel and the British rescue sub to the Barents sea and an account of the problems faced by the rescue divers working at great depths, which are easy to understand even by those with no knowledge of diving physics or decompression problems. Very difficult to put down once started, this account of the Kursk tragedy serves as a fitting memorial to those who perished as well as highlighting the bond that exists between submariners and naval personnel, irrespective of their nationality.