Profile for chinhealer > Reviews

Content by chinhealer

chinhealer "Chinhealer" (Staffs, United Kingdom)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Ultrasport Carbon Nordic Walking/Trekking Poles with Cork Grip and Hand Straps - Black, 115 cm

4.0 out of 5 stars Probably best not to use them in an urban setting unless you enjoy attracting derision from strangers!, 11 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have yet to use these in their natural habitat in the Scandinavian tundra .(!) But I can report that using them in the modestly rugged countryside of the shires does facilitate a more taxing cardiovascular and, especially, upper-body workout than ordinary walking will do. I'm not sure these are exactly socially acceptable yet in the UK. I mean, I do feel (and look) like a bit of a wally using them, even in the, ahem, sticks! But if you have no compunction about how you look while exercising in the great outdoors, by all means make use of these relatively inexpensive and well-made contraptions!

Dettol Antibacterial Surface Cleanser Lime and Mint Spray 750 ml (Pack of 3)
Dettol Antibacterial Surface Cleanser Lime and Mint Spray 750 ml (Pack of 3)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad. But not a patch on vinegar..., 10 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Does what it is supposed to. Gives induction hob top a pleasing shine. Doesn't smell overly chemically. And yet, it's not as cheap or as natural as undiluted, distilled vinegar (bought in large containers which last ages) which we have been using for many household cleaning jobs for more than a decade! This is particularly useful if you happen to live in a hard water area where taps and shower cubicles etc are repeat victims of limescale.

Manual of Dietetic Practice
Manual of Dietetic Practice
by Joan Gandy

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful. Comprehensive. Authoritative. (With the obvious caveats.), 13 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Evidence-based. (Although, as everyone knows, paradigms in this area seem to shift on a worryingly regular basis! And much evidence is often either inconclusive or conflicting. Balance seems to be the key as opposed to faddishness or extreme dietary practices such as wholesale elimination of any single food group.) Still, this is as comprehensive as it would be reasonable to expect in a single tome. Clearly written with a pleasing layout. The perfect gift for the dietician/diet-obsessive in your life... although they are already pretty likely to own it!

Emjoi Micro Pedi MINI Portable Pedicure Device
Emjoi Micro Pedi MINI Portable Pedicure Device

3.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says, but there are better alternatives!, 13 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
While this product does seem to work reasonably well, I'm not entirely convinced that it is the best possible way forward for those with hard/cracked skin on their feet. I'd suggest looking for the underlying causes linked to questionable footwear, questionable lifestyle and questionable diet first! Oh, and I know that in my case at least, reducing excess poundage/girth is a far more effective solution. And moisturising using coconut oil feels much nicer to me than using this device. And, anyway, if blunt force trauma is your thing, I'd suggest using the humble, time-honoured pumice stone in the shower/bath which comes at a fraction of the cost!

Black Hole Focus: How Intelligent People Can Create a Powerful Purpose for Their Lives
by Isaiah Hankel

4.0 out of 5 stars Pencil-sharpener for mind, body and spirit!, 21 Oct. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This stuff ain't rocket science. But it is still fascinating. And mighty useful. And it can help to drill down into your most treasured beliefs and perspectives and motivations. The author's amiability combines well with the utility of his system, which involves a significant amount of self-questioning and honesty. What he doesn't do, which many self-help gurus tend to, is impose his beliefs on the reader. It is perfectly possible for readers with wildly differing - or even polar opposite - beliefs to adapt Hankel's methods of focusing for their own ends. But the exercises involved do require a certain amount of commitment. Don't expect your world to be transformed overnight. But over time, do expect major shifts in your behaviours and self-narratives if you follow Hankel's advice.

Brand Famous: How to Get Everyone Talking About Your Business
Brand Famous: How to Get Everyone Talking About Your Business
by Linzi Boyd

4.0 out of 5 stars No-nonsense primer on becoming a household name., 24 Aug. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Linzi Boyd is, clearly, a bit of a know-it-all when it comes to branding and marketing and effective use of the digital world to propel your name into the stratosphere. Which is rather handy, as I am a bit of a know-nothing when it comes to these things!

Brand Famous is an unbloated, streamlined read - there was very little superfluity that I could see. Its exercises were useful, its case studies were pertinent and its content sufficiently adaptable for most forms of brand-identity-creation/dissemination that I can think of.

Philips GC4511/20 Azur Performer Steam Iron - 180g Steam Boost, 2400 Watt
Philips GC4511/20 Azur Performer Steam Iron - 180g Steam Boost, 2400 Watt

4.0 out of 5 stars Not exactly the Jaguar of irons... but a very impressive Mercedes!, 19 Aug. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My review is, necessarily, based on only a single ironing session consisting of three hours on the trot and twenty-odd (men's) shirts to get through. And since the instructions advise me to clean the iron (via the snazzy calci-capture thingy on its backside) once per month, I haven't had the need to clean it yet and can therefore not comment on how easy/effective this innovation is.

So how does it handle? Very smoothly. Better than our existing, few-years-old Tefal? Can't really tell. But it is an undeniably easy glide across the material and the specially designed groove for getting in between buttons was a thoughtful feature.

Are the various steam, spray, fabric setting functions simple to understand and execute? Absolutely.

Is filling the iron with water a cinch? Definitely.

Was I happy with the results in terms of my shirts' creaselessness? Certainly.

In fact, the only downside I experienced was that the cord was a few inches shorter than I really like considering the logistics of my ironing position and the location of the power socket I use. Not a deal-breaker in any way. And I'm sure I'll get used to the slight restriction in my usually flowing and elegant (!) ironing moves over time. But for the sake of a few extra inches, I think Philips would have a truly excellent, five-star product here.

As it is, I am still very pleased with it and look forward to more mammoth ironing sessions in future. I know I have a pile of women's clothes (not mine!) to get through imminently and I am rather looking forward to the prospect!

The Natural Cook: Eating the Seasons from Root to Fruit
The Natural Cook: Eating the Seasons from Root to Fruit
by Tom Hunt

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing, veg-centred recipes. Dog's dinner of a cover!, 4 Aug. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Ok, so my admiration for this book is currently theoretical. I haven't, yet, attempted any of the recipes herein. But there are plenty of unusual recipes to be found, some of which I've not come across before (Leek and Potato Pizza or Beetroot Houmous with Sautéed Beet Tops anyone?!) So I am very eager to explore Tom Hunt's distinctive, culinary sensibility as soon as I can.

A minor complaint is to do with the fonts, layouts, design and, especially, the book's cover, which are all unappealing to me. I can't remember ever having read a hardback book whose front and back cover are flush with the interior pages, which means that it is actually a little difficult to open the book - a feature which will grow tiresome very quickly. But, y'know, the proof of the pudding's in the eating; so I can forgive Tom that (if not his publishers, who ought to know better!)

Pasta: The Essential New Collection from the Master of Italian Cookery
Pasta: The Essential New Collection from the Master of Italian Cookery
by Antonio Carluccio

4.0 out of 5 stars Buon Appetito!, 4 Aug. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This collection is mouth-watering. Gorgeously photographed, of course. And it has a large variety of recipes to experiment with. I've barely skimmed the surface in terms of actually bringing these recipes to the dinner table. But I am looking forward to trying out as many as I can (most, like me, are vegetarian, and many of those that aren't can easily be veggified.) There are one or two recipes which seemed a bit lacklustre to me. But that didn't stop me from improvising and sexing them up. So this book can also serve as a useful springboard for the kinds of cooks who don't like to be excessively constrained by the tyranny of recipes.

Sanctuary Into the Mirror Black 1950 T-Shirt
Sanctuary Into the Mirror Black 1950 T-Shirt

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than most band t-shirts bought unseen!, 31 July 2014
Excellent quality t-shirt. Feels like genuine, official merch compared to the poorly-printed-on-Fruit-of-the-Loom jobbies that litter Amazon. Fit perfectly and stands up to multiple washings. So pleased to have found what is a (relatively) obscure band's t-shirt.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10