Profile for S. Ward > Reviews

Content by S. Ward

S. Ward "Burtster" (Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2
Lexibook Doc McStuffins 1.3MP Digital Camera with 1.44-inch Screen
Lexibook Doc McStuffins 1.3MP Digital Camera with 1.44-inch Screen

1.0 out of 5 stars Get ready for disappointment when the child picks it up, 3 Jan. 2015
This looks to be exactly the same 'camera' as the frozen one i reviewed. I see a five star rating which i can only surmise has been put there by someone with a vested interest in selling it. Its an utter piece of rubbish. Get ready for disappointment when the child picks it up, tries to take a few snaps, realises how awful it is and never picks it up again. Battery drains very quickly and I cannot get Windows 7 to recognise it. I could go on, but i'm sure you get the idea. These things should not be on sale - You can pick up budget digital cameras for less money which are infinitely better. You're basically paying for a shiny colourful casing.

Lexibook Disney Frozen 1.3 MP Camera
Lexibook Disney Frozen 1.3 MP Camera
Offered by DEP.PRODUCTS

1.0 out of 5 stars Good grief. Unbelievable tat. By all means avoid., 1 Jan. 2015
My 4 year old daughter received this as a Christmas prezzie from a relative. What we have here is a piece of technology from the late 90's which has languished in a warehouse for well over a decade, waiting for an opportunity to recycle it. Enter the Frozen movie. This is a 15 year old camera placed into a shiny Disney Frozen casing, and marketed as a child's camera, presumably to attempt to justify its near unbelievable resolution of 0.3 megapixels and utterly abysmal frame rate on its minuscule 1.4 inch display. To elaborate, you need to hold it perfectly still for several seconds before taking the picture as the display is very jerky and needs time to settle on the image you want to take. Absolutely perfect for young children, who are renowned for their patience and concentration.
Seriously, I am flabbergasted that this utter piece of ***** has made it past trading standards, and also amazed that only one other person has commented on its its abject awfulness through an Amazon review.
My little nephew of a similar age received the Vtech digital camera and the difference is like night and day - Its a great little piece of kit and any youngster should love it. My daughter spent about 20 seconds on this piece of tat and discarded it.

Samsung BD-E5300 Network Blu-ray Player (Old model)
Samsung BD-E5300 Network Blu-ray Player (Old model)

1.0 out of 5 stars Shoddy, shoddy support., 15 Nov. 2012
Bought this in May. I was impressed by not only the sound and image quality of blurays, but also the quality of upscaled dvds. The player itself hums and whirrs a bit at the start of watching a disk, but soon quietens down after 6 or 7 minutes. By September it had ceased to work. Half way through a dvd (not a bluray) the sound and audio cut out to a black screen. That's the end of my review - the rest is just a moan about Samsung's near-epic abominable after-sales support.

I logged a fault with Samsung online support, who sent me instructions on how to upgrade the firmware, obviously not having even read read the problem description I offered them.

A week later the player was picked up - I assumed a replacement would have been left, but no. A month later having heard nothing, I checked the status and left a new online message asking if they were having any success. I received a message back saying their engineers were having difficulty replicating the problem, which given the troubleshooting i performed with multiple HDMI leads and televisions, I found to be highly unlikeley. Another couple of weeks pass and I send another message - this time with no reply. Another several weeks go by and i write them a polite, yet annoyed message asking if there should be someone else with whom i should be dealing, given their lack of any communication.

Several days later I get a call from a courier wanting to arrange for delivery of a bluray player. When they eventually turn up (2 days late, after my wife had spent two days in the house waiting for them), a man turns up a the door to 'collect a faulty bluray player'. Seriously.

Samsung clearly don't give a tuppenny damn about me as a customer and are presumably too big to worry about losing me as a future purchaser of their products.

So there's my review/moan over. I'm going to buy another (non-samsung) bluray player on amazon. If anyone has any recommendations please send them on.

UPDATE: 8 December
The player finally arrived about a week and a half after my review - I wondered if Samsung actually pay attention to Amazon reviews of their products. Anyways, now it plays with a very annoying high pitched whirring noise the whole way through a disc. Think I'll go back to LG.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 7, 2012 6:21 PM GMT

System Shock 2
System Shock 2

5.0 out of 5 stars blimey, 3 July 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: System Shock 2 (Video Game)
I came across a box of old games in the roof space, and put them straight onto a popular auction site. One game, however, I kept back from selling. There was something in the dim recesses of my memory about staying up very late and taking days off work to play it, some 13 years ago. So I fired up my XP partition and installed it, did a quick search on how to get it to work (actually a pretty straight-forward process) and am now playing one of the top three games I've ever played in my extensive 30 years+ of gaming.

When I first loaded it, the graphics put me off somewhat. After 13 years, of course they had aged. But after a few hours creeping around the ship, avoiding security cameras, bludgeoning zombies and becoming immersed in the fantastic story arc, I found myself not caring one bit.

I've been playing it in my spare time for nearly a week now, and am already beginning to worry that I'm getting close to finishing it, because it means an end to my enjoyment.

System Shock 2 is one of those rare games which is truly ageless. I believe that in 10 years time, I will be able to install it again and enjoy it just as much as I am now. Its a masterpiece, and something that I feel somewhat privileged to have experienced.

If, like me, you're utterly tired of the continual stream of banal console shooters and awful console ports to the mighty PC, please give this a go and see what gaming was like in its hey day.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 7, 2015 6:49 PM GMT

Serious Sam 3 (PC DVD)
Serious Sam 3 (PC DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Big guns, lots of ammo, and loadsa baddies. Oh Yeh!, 18 May 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Serious Sam 3 (PC DVD) (CD-ROM)
Its almost a guilty pleasure, this one. I'm in my late thirties now and should really be sitting down to play slow paced puzzlers or turn based strategy games, but the lure of Sam BFE is too strong to resist. It just feels right, when you're standing in a canyon with full ammo and a bottomless box of rockets to your right, and hundreds of those clippity clop, boney ba*****s are galloping towards you. Letting rip with rockets, then minigun, then double barrel shotgun as each ammo depletes is exciting, and the relief is palpable when there's a brief respite enabling you to top up on rockets again.

Its certainly not a deep, tactical game with layers of strategy to adapt to. It is a run, shoot, heal, armour up, then shoot some more kinda game. Most of the old favourite monsters are there, with a few new big bruisers, just asking for the Sam treatment. Ive finished the game now (the final boss is one big-a%% hallion, and takes some pounding to put down), and i still find myself going back to earlier save games for a quick blast.

So if you want uncomplicated fun and something you can jump straight into at any time for an hour, and if you miss the good old fashioned shoot em ups with ne'er a terrorist, mercenary, arms dealer etc in sight, then have a crack at Serious Sam BFE. It'll make you feel a bit younger.

"The only good space monkey is a dead space monkey."

Diablo III (PC/Mac DVD)
Diablo III (PC/Mac DVD)

3.0 out of 5 stars Uber Expensive, 15 May 2012
This review is from: Diablo III (PC/Mac DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Ah c'mon now Blizzard - £45? You are the only big games producer that makes quality games exclusively for the PC, when all the other software houses pelt us with console rubbish. Yet now you're treating us like console owners willing to fork out such sums for the privilege. I bought Warcraft 1-3, Starcraft and World of Warcraft and enjoyed them all, and still play Warcraft 3 and Starcraft - but these are likely the last blizzard games I will play. You are helping turn the PC into an Indie-only games machine, just as much as the likes of EA are. Not that Indie games are bad - there are loads of quality titles out there and I implore every stalwart PC gamer to try them out.

Maybe its sound business sense on Blizzard's part, but I'd love to see the (impossible to collect) statistics showing how much extra money is generated from the inflated price VS how much money is lost from miserable people like me refusing to buy the game.
Comment Comments (21) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 18, 2012 8:16 PM BST

Thief: Deadly Shadows (PC DVD)
Thief: Deadly Shadows (PC DVD)
Offered by scaddingk

5.0 out of 5 stars Killer, 28 Nov. 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
As the bigger publishers\software houses continue to release ported console dross to the gaming machine granddaddy that is the PC, i find myself increasingly looking to older titles that i missed first time around. I recommend all stalwart PC gamers to do the same, and you'll be surprised at the amount of gems you happen upon.
I fired this up and loved it from the onset. Can't remember the last time i felt so immersed in a game. Simply fantastic, atmospheric gameplay.

Sins of a Solar Empire (PC DVD)
Sins of a Solar Empire (PC DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Corker, 22 Sept. 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
What an absolutely cracking game! Initially i was put off by the tutorial, so i skipped it and jumped right in, and within half an hour i was hooked. The scope of the game is massive - you can control numerous fleets of hundreds of ships with ease, and engage in multiple vast space battles concurrently in different galaxies. Once you've built your first capital ship, and started to build experience points for it, you'll have great difficulty dragging yourself away from the computer.

Thankfully this isn't just another lazy port from the xbox 360, which unfortunately seems to be the norm these days with pc gaming. This is a pc game through and through - it looks and sounds fantastic, the control mechanics are faultless and the required minimum specs are very reasonable indeed.

I also really appreciate the trust that Ironclad and Stardock have shown in their customer base by not having the game riddled with draconian security measures, and the ability to play the game without the dvd in the drive. Its nice for a change not to be treated as a potential criminal by a game publisher.

BRAND NEW 3G SAMSUNG ARMANI M7500 3.15 Megapixel MOBILE PHONE UNLOCKED - Emporio Armani Black M 7500 Night Effect boxed

1.0 out of 5 stars stupid logo, 21 May 2011
This phone would probably be £30 cheaper if it didn't have that ridiculous logo plastered up the side. It's a mobile phone for goodness sake, not a ridiculously overpriced garment. I like the shape and look of it, and the features sound more than adequate for my needs. Hopefully Samsung will see sense and release a version for folk of a less shallow disposition.

The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Extended Edition) [Blu-ray] [2011] [2001]
Dvd ~ Elijah Wood

5.0 out of 5 stars Sigh., 3 April 2011
It's just not fair. Having waited an absolute age for this version to be released, whilst studiously avoiding the rip off theatrical blu ray version, i find each film is to be split over two discs. Gutted.

The problem with this format is that it doesn't consider the circumstances of those members of society one might deem almost criminally lazy. If i'm half way through a bottle of red, sitting in front of a blazing log fire and the movie comes to a grinding halt, expecting me to change disc, i will be devastated.

When i went to see the Fellowship at the cinema for the first time, i was fuming when it stopped half way through for 15 minutes, enabling all the weak-bladdered, sweetie/crisp packet rustlers to re-arm themselves with noisy junk food. It killed a significant amount of the atmosphere and escapism of the film, and the blu ray break will do likewise.

Would the human eye really be able to distinguish a reduction in quality, if a very slightly lower resolution were used, enabling the whole flick to reside on one disc?

**UPDATE** Jan 2012

OK. I take it all back. I went ahead and bought it and can honestly say it doesn't matter that the films are split over two discs. Having never watched the extended versions (been patiently waiting for years for them to come out on blu ray) i found that after a few hours, when disc one came to an end, i was grateful for the pee break. Also, it looks and sounds spot on. Glad i waited until they were released in this format.
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 2, 2011 10:56 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2