Profile for L. Thomas > Reviews

Content by L. Thomas

L. Thomas "pseudo__nymph" (Wales UK)

Shifting Shadows: Stories from the World of Mercy Thompson (Mercy Thompson Novels)
by Patricia Briggs
Edition: MP3 CD

3.0 out of 5 stars The narration ruins some stories, 25 Nov. 2015
I am conflicted by this; on the one hand I absolutely loved the stories, some more than others of course, and really enjoyed getting more background on some of my favourite characters from the series. I love Charles and Anna, so I very much enjoyed listening to 'Alpha and Omega' even though I'd read it before. I am not usually a fan of short stories, but I listened to it on a long couch journey and found the length of the stories just right for keeping me engaged and entertained. Anyone who likes Patricia Briggs world will enjoy Shifting Shadows.
Unfortunately there is also a negative point, and my reason for taking too two stars. Most of the narration is handled well and enhances the stories, but this is the kind of narration where the reader puts on a different voice for each character, which is entertaining, except for at any point where either of the narrators attempt a Welsh accent. As a Welsh person the resulting mishmash of Irish, Scottish and some unidentifiable other really made me cringe; I'm not usually picky about such things but it is really bad and very distracting. I could barely listen 'Silver' with almost all of the characters being Welsh I made it through with gritted teeth and would have skipped it if I wasn't so interested in Bran and Samuel's history. I just had to try my best to ignore the accents but honestly it was distracting enough to ruin the story for me. Perhaps to people from other areas with no familiarity with Welsh accents it'll sound okay, but I like to think if someone were butchering a Scottish, Irish or English accent I would notice. To anyone who is Welsh I'd suggest trying to listen to an excerpt of 'Silver' where a character is speaking, or the parts where Bran speaks in 'Alpha and Omega' to see what you think before buying.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, not recommended., 30 Jan. 2015
It's a real shame about these decals - the pattern is beautiful and they were relatively easy to apply. Unfortunately they are also pretty much useless.
First of all the decals are being sold as suitable for macbook pro and air. However, this is not the case - I have a macbook air and several of the decals are shaped completely wrong for the keys - mainly the left shift key and the return key. On the listing the picture of the keyboard shows how the decals should be shaped however when they arrived the return key is a large L shape, and the shift is two small stickers with a gap between instead of a long single sticker.
Whilst annoying I could overlook that issue, but the second, and worst problem is that the letters are all printed slightly off centre. This likely wouldn't be noticeable, except when you factor in a backlit keyboard you end up with a horrible double image of each letter as the original shines through the decal completely misaligned with the printed letter. I tried moving each decal so that the letters aligned, but unfortunately as they are printed so off centre this makes the decal overhang one side of the key and look absolutely awful. As a result I've had to remove the decals as I found them unusable as both the double focus and the overhanging decals were incredibly off-putting when trying to type.
A couple of other things to consider is that the decals come with absolutely no instructions, I had to look up a youtube video from another company, which is a bit poor. I also dislike the feel of the decals when typing, they are extremely smooth and shiny and feel cheap.
I'm very disappointed about the poor quality issues, especially when the print itself is so beautiful. Whilst I was not expecting a premium item for the price, I was expecting something more than this. I definitely wouldn't recommend - if you want keyboard decals I would suggest spending a little more and purchasing a quality item - I had a skin from an Etsy shop which is fantastic, and I wish I had gone the same route for the keyboard.

Integral USB 2.0 Single Slot SD Reader
Integral USB 2.0 Single Slot SD Reader

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy!, 7 July 2010
This card reader has wiped or destroyed every single SD card I've used with it, it's cost me a fortune in new cards. Don't buy it, get another product.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Bother, 29 Jan. 2009
Although it may be psychological, if anything this product actually made me hungrier. I don't know about hoodia in general, it may just be the concentration of the active ingredient was not high enough, but it did nothing for me.
I wouldn't recommend it.

Criminal Profile: Into the Mind of the Killer
Criminal Profile: Into the Mind of the Killer
by Val McDermid

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and Informative, 29 Jan. 2009
This book is an intriguing introduction into criminal psychology and profiling. It is presented in sensible, easy to understand terms, which make it accessible to the layperson and the beginner. Whilst this book may not have the depth of some others, I found it an ideal starting point and a good platform to begin my research on profiling.
Doubtless there are books out there that offer a more in depth look at past cases and techniques, but unlike some titles, I enjoyed reading this, and found it useful and informative. It is also well laid out, with colour pictures and key points, which to some may seem like a dulling down of the subject, but I found to be a refreshing and welcome break from denser criminal psychology books.
In short, if you want an in depth discussion on profiling, this is not the book for you. On the other hand, if you want an intelligent discussion of the basics and an introduction into profiling that is easy to understand and digest then this is an ideal book to begin with.

Nevermore (Supernatural (Harperentertainment))
Nevermore (Supernatural (Harperentertainment))
by Keith R.A. DeCandido
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly lacking, 23 Sept. 2007
I adore the series Supernatural, and thought a tie-in book was an excellent idea... however, whilst the book was an enjoyable enough read it was very standard, lacking the atmosphere and the emotional punch found in the series - especially between the brothers Sam and Dean.
In all honesty, I've read better tie-in stories online.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 16, 2010 1:14 PM GMT

Supernatural - The Complete First Season [DVD] [2006]
Supernatural - The Complete First Season [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Jared Padalecki

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 23 Sept. 2007
I don't really watch a lot of TV, but when I cam across this show I found it absolutely unmissable. The characters are well developed and interesting, there are comedic and absolutely terrifying moments, and there is a great classic rock soundtrack to each episode. As other reviewers mentioned, the DVD lacks special features, which is annoying - especially as they were included on the American version, but all in all, one of the best shows I have ever seen and definitely worth buying.

by Luis Royo

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent but..., 25 Aug. 2003
This review is from: Dreams (Paperback)
The quality of the art in this book is fantastic, and varies from rough sketches to complete pictures which are incredibly realistic. The main reason I didn't give this book five stars is Royo's comments. Instead of writing anything useful about his work, for example on his inspiration or technique, Royo has used cryptic little paragraphs that dont really mean anything. Although attempting to sound deep and profound these comments get downright irritating after a few pages. He really overuses the metaphor of a kitchen - making the comments read like a cookbook, with 'ingrediants' he uses in his work.
Having said this, it is the art that the book is about, and that truly is stunning. If you skip the comments, which actually make up a miniscule amount of the book, then it's definately worth the money.
Don't buy if you're offended by nudity and/or images of a sexual nature - although there is nothing overly graphic or obscene but there is an erotic section, which covers two pages.