Profile for I can sing 4,000 songs from memory > Reviews

Content by I can sing 4,0...

I can sing 4,000 songs from memory

Page: 1 | 2
The Voice
The Voice
Offered by DVDMAX-UK
Price: 14.53

1.0 out of 5 stars ONE outstanding song - and that's it, 18 May 2013
This review is from: The Voice (Audio CD)
'The language of the heart' is a beautiful song, an absolute classic, but every other song on this album is instantly forgettable. If I gave 'The language of the heart' a ten, I would give every other song a one on that scale, it's hard to believe that the same man wrote them. Buy 'The language of the heart' as a single song if you can, but the rest is not worth listening to.

The Next Day
The Next Day
Offered by mivendo UG
Price: 10.73

1.0 out of 5 stars Not very good..., 3 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Next Day (Audio CD)
There is only one (slightly) good song on this entire album - The Stars (Are Out Tonight), and even that isn't brilliant. ALL the other tracks are filler, David Bowie by the numbers, but bad David Bowie by the numbers. How can this compare to The Buddha of Suburbia? Or his earlier albums? I expect this will stay at number one for a while, millions will PRETEND to 'like' it, and get all defensive when anybody suggests they can't actually hear music properly. Can you sing 4,000 songs from memory?
Comment Comments (66) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 8, 2013 5:35 AM BST

Serious Adverse Events: An Uncensored History of AIDS
Serious Adverse Events: An Uncensored History of AIDS
by Robin Morgan

3.0 out of 5 stars Astounding number of typos, 16 Feb 2013
This would be a good book, but I found it almost unbearable to read it, because almost EVERY page has a typo, or a sentence which just doesn't make grammatical sense. Presumably it was never proofread, astounding.
HIV is not the cause of AIDS, but this book should have been proofread properly before being released, otherwise it just detracts from the message.

Numatic HVR200A Henry A1 Bagged Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner plus Kit A1, Red/Black (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by Toolstop_Ltd
Price: 115.45

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish. Buy a Dyson instead., 16 Feb 2013
I bought one of these about twenty years ago, on the recommendation of a 'friend', and found it to be absolute rubbish. It simply cannot clean carpets properly, you can't clean bedclothes with it (I can run my entire Dyson across the top of my bed to clean the duvet, etc.), and it doesn't have a rotating brushbar. It doesn't have a brushbar at all! This is ancient technology, it may work fine on wooden floors, but a Dyson will do that AND clean carpets. Who doesn't have carpets in their house?
I can't believe this has 600 odd five star reviews, I wouldn't trust one of them.
PLUS it uses bags! How ridiculous, more money to be spent.
The Dyson is so much better than this, that I can't believe anybody still buys Henry vacuum cleaners.
The Henry will lose suction, like all other bagged vacuum cleaners, within a minute or so of vacuuming, the Dyson never loses suction. With a bagged vacuum cleaner, you are paying money to run the motor to heat up the room most of the time, because it's trying to suck air through a bag coated with dust after only a minute or less of using it.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 11, 2014 1:52 AM GMT

Home-tek Light 'n' Easy HT807 Hunter Hand-held Turbo Vacuum Cleaner
Home-tek Light 'n' Easy HT807 Hunter Hand-held Turbo Vacuum Cleaner
Offered by SPARES-2-GO
Price: 44.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for cat hairs, 12 Feb 2011
I've got two Home-tek Hunters and have used them for years, they are excellent at cleaning cat hairs from bed clothes, the powerful rotating brush is the only way to do this sort of job (apart from using a handheld rubber brush and a conventional vacuum cleaner's hose to suck up the hairs as you dislodge then with the rubber brush, but the Hunter is so much more convenient).
With regard to what others have said about having to clean the HEPA filter - I use my Dyson's hose with brush attachment to clean the entire contents of the Hunter - I remove the dust container, dismantle it on a plastic surface, with the Dyson's brush near it while I do this, so it sucks up any escaping dust, then I clean the HEPA filter using the Dyson's brush and it works perfectly every time, no dust anywhere. I agree that cleaning the HEPA filter without a second vacuum cleaner would be much more difficult (I would suggest doing it in the bath so the dust can just be washed away).
I would say the Hunter has easily as much suction power as my Dyson (which is the original model, can't remember the model number off hand), but is just much more convenient to use, as it's so light and easy to take around the house. I am quite happy to get on my knees and use it to clean my hallway runner (the Dyson pulls it around the carpet, whereas with the Hunter I can hold the end of the runner with one hand, while using the Hunter with the other, plus you are much closer to the ground while on your knees and can more clearly see if you're getting all the dirt off!). It's fantastic for stairs, I can do mine in about two minutes, with no effect, much easier than trying to use the Dyson's hose, which gets a bit like Stretch Armstrong once you're halfway up the stairs and trying hard to stretch the hose out.
If you have cats or dogs, I highly recommend getting one of these, I couldn't cope without mine.

Terry & June - Series 8 Volume 2 [DVD]
Terry & June - Series 8 Volume 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Terry Scott

2.0 out of 5 stars Something changed between 8:1 and 8:2, 24 Jun 2010
I have been watching all the Terry and June DVDs up to Series 8 Volume 1, for the past year. (I hadn't realised there was a Volume 2 to Series 8 until recently, nor that there was a Volume 9).
I received Series 8 Volume 2 today, and there is a world of difference between the programs on this DVD, and Series 8 Volume 1! It's as if Terry and June are five years older, Terry is genuinely angry all the time, and the scripts are nowhere near as good as 8:1. Does anybody know why this is? There is a noticeable and marked difference in 'feel' between Series 8 Volume 2 and Series 8 Volume 1, and I found these episodes very disappointing. All the actors seem to have lost their magic, which they had in the earlier series. Terry's boss is completely different, even from the first moment he appears, in the second programme, he is a different man (as it were). It's as if the entire DVD has been 'BBC-fied' - i.e. turned into the pointless rubbish 'comedies' that they started churning out in the years after Terry and June. (You know, the sort of comedies that simply weren't funny, and that got an audience purely because they were shown during peak viewing hours, and people watched them because there was nothing better on the other side).
Here's hoping that Volume 9 is better.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 4, 2013 9:41 PM GMT

Mysterious Cities Of Gold - Complete Series [DVD]
Mysterious Cities Of Gold - Complete Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tomoko Ai
Price: 35.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 28 Mar 2008
I'm not sure why Amazon says this won't be available until June, I already have a copy bought from HMV that arrived two days ago. Fans of the series (my favourite cartoon of all time) will not be disappointed - the transfer is very high quality, and the extras are really worth having. The whole package is very professional and definitely worth it. Buy it!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 26, 2008 7:18 PM BST

Music Of The Spheres
Music Of The Spheres
Price: 5.42

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 17 Mar 2008
This review is from: Music Of The Spheres (Audio CD)
I agree with the 'Music of the beards' review - this is not very good. Mike Oldfield has done far better, this is more like 'relaxation music' for ageing hippies. Let's hope he produces another masterpiece like 'The Songs of Distant Earth', because this album is emotionless.

A Secret Wish
A Secret Wish
Offered by EliteDigital UK
Price: 12.95

5.0 out of 5 stars An all time classic, 14 July 2007
This review is from: A Secret Wish (Audio CD)
One of my favourite albums, but unfortunately the CD version contains remixes of some of the songs that were on the original cassette version, and the cassette versions are better, so you might want to look around for the cassette as well.
When you compare the brilliance of this to the rubbish that's in the charts nowadays, it's like chalk and cheese.
Buy this album if you like anything from the 80s, preferably the cassette version...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 3, 2013 2:21 PM GMT

CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions
CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions
by Simon Collison

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy "CSS The Missing Manual" instead, 18 Jun 2007
I bought this book hoping it would help me to learn some more CSS and help me with the more complicated aspects of it. I found it less than useful, and the several references to the author's favourite bands (in examples) as well as photos of the author and his friends (in another example) were the nail in the coffin. The two 'wonderful' websites used as examples at the end of the book were not remotely attractive either.

Two weeks ago I bought "CSS The Missing Manual", which is 470 pages long, and contains more than three times as much text as CSS Mastery, and takes you through every aspect of CSS, explaining everything along the way. It's the only book I'd recommend for somebody who wants to learn or improve their CSS - avoid CSS Mastery at all costs! How people have been giving it five stars is beyond me - presumably they haven't read 'CSS The Missing Manual' yet.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 26, 2010 1:11 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2