Profile for Cletus > Reviews

Content by Cletus

Cletus (London, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Kombat British Army Day Pack Sack Combat Rucksack Bergen Molle Black New 28 Litre L
Offered by Party Pit Stop

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain, quality rucksack, 15 Jun. 2014
I am a bit of a bag junky. I am always on the lookout for the perfect bag - of course there isn't one as we need bags for different reasons. For me, the thing I carry around most often is my BJJ training gear - i.e. a fairly heavy judo-type jacket and pants, my belt, t-shirt and various small items like gum shield and tape. I was looking at the 40l version of this bag initially as I thought I would be able to fit my laptop in it as well. However, I went for the 28l and when it turned up I was slightly annoyed with myself for going for the smaller bag. However, I am very happy with it. The way that it completely opens when you lie it flat allows packing of a lot of stuff in it. My gear pretty much fills the main compartment but there are three more areas where I can fit a book, an iPad, my keys, wallet, phone etc. The side straps mean we can make the bag smaller when there is less stuff in it and also they make it feel really secure when it is packed fairly full.

Compared with much more expensive backpacks I think the straps system and the area that comes into contact with your back are not very sophisticated. For those looking to go on long walks, use this for camping etc maybe this will be a drawback. But for me this is not relevant and for my purposes and the money this bag is first class.

The Rembrandt Affair (Gabriel Allon Book 10)
The Rembrandt Affair (Gabriel Allon Book 10)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another in a great series, 10 Mar. 2014
I have read a fair amount of the thriller genre and I think Daniel Silva is a fine exponent of it. The characters he creates really come off the page and I love the way one gets to know all the characters over the series of books. I think I have read most of them.

I also love Daniel Silva's research and authenticity. On the art restoration one really believes that Gabriel is a restorer and the funny world of the art galleries is brilliantly done. I love the Julian Isherwood character. Also as a UK citizen I am very impressed with the language he gets his British characters to use and how he describes their quirks. I don't think I have seen that done better by a non-Brit.

I also cannot claim to have a deep understanding of the realities of the Middle Eastern tensions. I haven't been there and most of the media we get tends to be either biased or glosses over certain aspects. Having read most of these books I really feel that I have a better handle on a few realities - and I have far more respect for the seriousness of the issues.

My only problem with the books is that there is a lot of 'tell don't show' - there is a tendency to tell us how mean, tough, kind etc the characters are rather than just show it. I think a lesser writer could not get away with this at all, and when Daniel Silva does show us things, he really is good.

To end this review on that note would be wrong as I think these really are excellent books. On one level they are thrilling thrillers with cool characters and nearly perfect pacing - you never get bored reading them. On another level these books are also highly informative - the research and work that has gone into them is really top drawer.

The Fallen Angel (Gabriel Allon Book 12)
The Fallen Angel (Gabriel Allon Book 12)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fact and fiction in a thrilling package, 7 Mar. 2014

Mueller Reusable Cold/Hot Pack
Mueller Reusable Cold/Hot Pack
Offered by Cobalt Innovations

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well for my sore back, 7 Mar. 2014
I have a sore lower back after sports and I use this with a light towel wrapped around it. I have used and re-used it many times and it is still doing the trick.

Straw Dogs: Thoughts on Humans and Other Animals
Straw Dogs: Thoughts on Humans and Other Animals
by John Gray

5.0 out of 5 stars Enrage and engage, 7 Mar. 2014
Normally when I read reviews on book covers I think they are silly, hyperbolic or mis-quoted. For example I read on one spy book that it was 'the thinking man's Le Carre', something that to me is wrong on so many levels. In the case of Straw Dogs though, they proved to be spot on. They indicate that most reviewers found the book shocking, annoying sometimes, but incredible too.

I read this book from the perspective of someone who, I think, John Gray was critiquing - someone who is essentially a humanist. The caveat being I am well aware of the power of our subconscious and I am not happy with the idea that we have dominion over the earth. That said, I found many of his points incredibly engaging and insightful, and they have a foundation of learning so solid that it helps create a structure for his thinking and one's own.

I can understand why some people get upset reading this book, but I could not recommend reading it through more highly. If you don't like what he says, move on. For me, when I read books like this - they make me feel alive and I think they help us to see a little clearer. In the end though it is still you seeing, he is not saying he will do it for you.

A Fighter's Heart: One man's journey through the world of fighting
A Fighter's Heart: One man's journey through the world of fighting

3.0 out of 5 stars Well written, interesting, a few let downs, 8 Jan. 2014
Most of this book I read with great interest. It is well written and he definitely knows his material very well. I think the insight into motivations for combat sports, and what is involved in training, are excellent. The chapter on dog fighting is frankly a huge let down and makes me wonder about the state of mind of someone who can write such things. I guess we shouldn't dwell on this, and I recommend his next book, a Fighter's Mind, thoroughly.

Toshiba Dynadock U3.0 Port Replicator (HDMI, DVI, VGA, USB 3.0)
Toshiba Dynadock U3.0 Port Replicator (HDMI, DVI, VGA, USB 3.0)

4.0 out of 5 stars Update - it now works, 12 Nov. 2013
I have a 2013 model toshiba laptop and bought this toshiba product to use with my peripherals.

However, it does not work.

There are no ethernet or audio driver updates for Windows 8.1 and the support forums are full of people with the exact same problem as me - the ethernet cable doesn't do anything. Toshiba has not done anything about this.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*UPDATE* - new driver software was released in December, which has solved these issues. It now does what is says it should do - drives my keyboard, mouse, printer, display and the Ethernet cable works. It also works with my MacBook (after you download the correct drivers for your mac). Now it is a good product.

Sea Fishing (River Cottage Handbook)
Sea Fishing (River Cottage Handbook)
by Nick Fisher

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful and fun sea fishing book, 26 Aug. 2013
I have started a little fishing from a boat last year with the kids and would like to do some more. Being a child of London I am pretty ignorant of all things in the great outdoors and I needed a book to get me going. I think there are a few books on the market for beginners fishing but this one was written by a guy I had seen on TV and I remember he has a really nice way about him. This really comes across in the book. From the first page the book has a real sense of fun, a sense that you too can catch fish. The advice is both really good and detailed where it needs to be and also very much based in common sense. Where things can be done easier or cheaper, Nick says so. In fact throughout the book I like hearing Nick's personal advice - I would do it this way, I don't like this. Nick is also honest throughout the book of not trying to cover everything and this is useful too, as I now want to explore other areas and have an idea where to go. I am very glad I bought the hardback of this book as I will keep it and use it for years to come.

AOC I2757FM 27 inch Widescreen IPS LED Multimedia Monitor (Mobile High-Definition Link, i-Menu, e-Saver, Screen+, 1920x1080, 5ms, 2 x HDMI)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value, nice design, average picture quality, 26 Aug. 2013
I bought this to plug into my Windows laptop for work at home. I read a few magazines and this one came out well in the professional reviews. I didn't really understand the reviews I terms of the technicalities, black light, colour saturation etc. However these did spell out the truth as far I my experience goes, and that is that the picture quality is not fantastic. It is good, and good enough for my day to day needs. However, i still rate this highly. It is outstanding value for money, looks really nice and it is fantastic working on a monitor this size.

Cloudseller NEW iPhone 5/5S/5C CHARGER LEAD HIGH QUALITY USB DATA CABLE- 8 Pin - APPLE IPHONE 5/5S/5C, IPOD TOUCH 5 NANO 7 IPAD MINI
Offered by cloudseller

1.0 out of 5 stars I can't recommend this product, 26 Aug. 2013
I should have heeded the words of others. This cheap lead doesn't work. I bought it, it wowed initially then stopped.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3