Profile for P. Dunjay > Reviews

Bimuno Prebiotic Powder 30 Sachets
Bimuno Prebiotic Powder 30 Sachets
Offered by Blue Herbs

5.0 out of 5 stars Really helping my IBS, 11 July 2016
I have IBS and tried a number of different things. Low fodmap helps the symptoms on a day to day basis, but I still can't eat any onions/garlic/dairy without bloating like I'm about to explode.
I've tried various things - going on an anti-candida diet (though I don't believe much in candida as a illness) and herbal antimicrobials was my first major improvement. Since then, Symprove made my symptoms terrible and I gave it up after 3 weeks of getting worse. Peppermint oil has little effect. Probiotics don't seem to change much. L-glutamine makes me blocked up. I've tried a little bit of everything by now.
Since taking this powder for a month, I've definitely noticed a positive change. I went out for a curry and was able to hold a conversation after and carry on without being at all bloated. It still differs day to day but I think it's making a big change for me.
I'm cautiously optimistic and have ordered my next 30 days.

GRDE® Waterproof Headlamp, Light Weight Comfortable LED Head Torch, 300 Lumens Headlight as walking/ fishing/ cycling/ working Light (White)
Offered by rebirthday

1.0 out of 5 stars Popped batteries into it & tested it - it worked fine for about five minutes before beginning to flicker constantly ..., 12 Oct. 2015
I bought this to take on a trip to Burning Man, where it is imperative you light yourself up at night and you're essentially hiking around in the desert. Popped batteries into it & tested it - it worked fine for about five minutes before beginning to flicker constantly due to some kind of loose connection. This is very annoying when this is one of your only sources of light in your tent and walking around! Unreliable product.

10 x Dichroic GU10 Halogen Lamp 50w (40DEG BEAM) 240V
10 x Dichroic GU10 Halogen Lamp 50w (40DEG BEAM) 240V
Offered by Top Deals 4 You - UK

4.0 out of 5 stars 6 month lifespan, 29 Sept. 2014
They lasted 6 months in my house before blowing (in the kitchen). I guess that's pretty good for the price!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Best to take 3 at a time, 6 Aug. 2014
Genuine life saver! Or bladder saver at least. I take it when I feel something coming on or after a dodgy night before, and it's stopped symptoms in their tracks. Best to take 3 at a time, 3x a day for about 3 days when you feel something coming on.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, 6 Aug. 2014
Not recognised by iPhone as official charger - therefore would not charge at all! Also began to make phone extremely hot. Tried several times but won't charge on this. Waste of money. Going to return it.

Anker PowerCore+ mini (3350mAh Premium Aluminum Portable Charger) Lipstick-Sized External Battery Power Bank for iPhone 6 / 6 Plus, iPad Air 2 / mini 3, Galaxy S6 / S6 Edge and More (Pink)
Offered by AnkerDirect

4.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and small, 30 July 2014
Brilliantly packaged. Works really well. On/off button is useful. Easy to charge up. Only downside is that it only does 1.3 charges of an iPhone 5S - looking for something bigger now for my four day festival. But I'll hang onto this to slip in my handbag for nights out.

Kaigami Small Volant Light Shade
Kaigami Small Volant Light Shade

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 1 Nov. 2013
Beautiful lamp shade - bit fiddly to put together but not impossible. The last bit of the instructions made it very hard so I turned the connecting pegs the other way around, so I could clip the middle in more effectively.

However, you can still see the joins when lying in bed, and it looks like it's been put together by hand.

Symprove Live & Activated Bacteria - Mango & Passion Fruit - 500ml.
Symprove Live & Activated Bacteria - Mango & Passion Fruit - 500ml.
Offered by Symprove Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Made my symptoms worse, 10 Dec. 2012
I've had IBS for a while and have been trying to cure it. After trying a GP and nutritionist who did not help at all, I had good success with an anti candida diet (no sugar, dairy, yeast) and natural remedies. However, I hoped taking a strong probiotic like this would cure it completely, after checking out all the clinical trials of Symprove.

I bought an original then mango then 4 x mango box. I was about five weeks in when I gave up. It has made all my symptoms much worse. I had my IBS somewhat managed before, and now I'm bloated and in pain every day, all day again.

I suspect I have SIBO / fructose malabsorption for which probiotics have been known to make worse. I was advised this could be a die off effect by Symprove and reduced intake for a while which cut symptoms down. I have now been off it for a week and am still very bloated and gaseous. I have had a terrible reaction after eating two garlic cloves yesterday, which would have been much milder a month ago before taking Symprove. A terrible waste of money to make me feel worse, but I accept everyone's stomach is different.

Short answer - check to see if you might have SIBO or fructose malabsorption first and if you feel worse, listen to your gut and stop taking it!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 17, 2015 1:04 PM GMT

The Night Circus (Vintage Magic)
The Night Circus (Vintage Magic)
by Erin Morgenstern

2.0 out of 5 stars Just not that good, 31 Oct. 2012
Sorry, but this book just isn't that good. I don't know why it's been so hyped.

The characters are flat and flimsy - it's a story that should be moving but I barely felt drawn into, as their personalities and a key romance are never really detailed enough. There is no motivation for why other characters act as they do, and not enough fleshing out of the circus performers to feel they are worth saving. Another character is tacked on halfway through in order to provide an ending, for no obvious reason. There are powerful emotions here that should be leaping off the page, but they don't.

The premise of 'the game' and the magic involved is barely explored, leaving the fantastical element without obvious rules or limits. The plotting is flimsy - I spotted the ending about halfway through the book due to an obvious chunk of dialogue about the eventual solution. The pace is totally off - the tension of the first few chapters with their cruelties and rigour quickly dissolve into a broken up chronology of the circus. Even the wonderful descriptions of tents begin to repeat themselves. Its level of complexity is that of a teenage novel.

It had a promising premise and some of the visual descriptions are lovely. I'm sure a film would look amazing, but this book really fails to get in deep.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 31, 2013 3:53 PM GMT

The Epigenetics Revolution: How Modern Biology is Rewriting Our Understanding of Genetics, Disease and Inheritance
by Nessa Carey

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book on this new field, 24 Oct. 2012
A great book on epigenetics - perfectly pitched for beginners to the subject, like me, but scientifically rigorous enough to give you a great understanding of the topic. Her explanations were very clear and the diagrams helpful too. I struggled a bit more towards the end of the book, where it disintegrated into a discussion of quite technical biological processes, instead of leading with the effect or stories of studies. But overall, a really great read.
And she was right about who would win the Nobel Prize!

Page: 1 | 2