Profile for Cristina Dicoiu > Reviews

Sleeping With Ghosts
Sleeping With Ghosts
Offered by westworld-

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than BMM, not quite WYIN, 17 Feb 2003
This review is from: Sleeping With Ghosts (Audio CD)
Before I listened to Sleeping With Ghosts, I felt the same excitement and hope that I felt before Black Market Music: that maybe this album will be even better than Without You I'm Nothing. But I had to be disappointed again. There will never be a better album. Now don’t get me wrong! I liked SWG a lot. I think it’s very fresh and full of energy, even though a higher number of songs have a slower tempo. It’s the melodic power, the very simple and harmonic guitar lines, the haunting voice of Brian Molko that makes it so outstanding. The music touches your soul and sticks in your head and it’s such a welcome and refreshing change after a number of alternative rock albums out on the market, that have all the same sound and say absolutely nothing.
The album is basically a collection of love songs, but touches a few controversial issues like abuse in "Something Rotten" and socio-politics in "Protect Me From What I Want". The latter one is probably one of my favourites. "The Bitter End" is an excellent choice for a first single and definitely the most catchy song on the album.
So even if SWG did not match the geniality of WYIN, it’s going to be one of the best albums of 2003. To describe it in one word: it’s very ... Placebo.