Profile for D. O'connell > Reviews

Content by D. O'connell

D. O'connell (London, United Kingdom)

PHP 5 Recipes: A Problem - Solution Approach
PHP 5 Recipes: A Problem - Solution Approach
by Lee Babin
Price: 22.21

3.0 out of 5 stars OK for a beginner or lover of procedural programming, 26 July 2007
Using "PHP 5" in the book title, you might hope that it focuses on PHP 5's features: proper object-orientation, encapsulation, Interfaces, Iterators etc, etc, but no. Instead we have a book of short "algorithms" (recipes) - all of them invariably part of another function call - called by another function, no doubt.
If you are a script hacker who wants to know how to slice and dice a string into an array, sort it ascending, removing duplicates in the process, then fine.
In parts the book also seems like an extension of the PHP help pages - outlining every function for every API, and how you might use it.
If you have "proper" programming aspirations, then get the "PHP 5 Objects, Patterns, Practice" book by Matt Zandstra instead - that is closer to the mark.
On the positive side: the regular expressions section is very good - and even has a class definition for wrapping them up a la Java.
Strictly for beginners.

DHTML Utopia: Modern Web Design Using JavaScript & DOM
DHTML Utopia: Modern Web Design Using JavaScript & DOM
by Stuart Langridge

2.0 out of 5 stars OK before the advent of jQuery, 22 Feb 2007
The book is OK, but I can't say that I learnt a great deal from it. For starters I was not too happy that the author dislikes XHTML, preferring standard HTML, then a lot of his examples contained non-standard HTML elements. To be fair: he does mention this where he does it, but that still doesn't excuse the crime.

Seems like there's a lot of places where the chapters could have factored-out some of the repetive sections (duplication) of code, as well.

Personally, I'd just use jQuery for most of what can be achieved with this book.

CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions
CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions
by Andy Budd

4.0 out of 5 stars Concentrates a lot on workarounds, but overall very good, 8 Jun 2006
I have been dabbling with CSS for about 4 years now, and was a little disappointed that the book seems to focus a lot on tricks/ workarounds for various browsers, rather than semantic XHTML, but to be fair, semantic XHTML has already beed covered by Dan Cederholms' books. I also found some of the "tricks" a little too presentational in nature - e.g. various "rounded corner" tricks which add in extra markup to achieve the effect.

I initially borrowed the book from the library, but the acid test is this: on returning it, I decided I needed my own copy, so bought one from Amazon - so I guess it was more useful than I first thought.

The main reason for my purchase: the sections on "layouts" - liquid layouts etc.

The Complete Guide to Digital Audio: A Comprehensive Introduction to Digital Sound and Music-making (Complete Guides)
by Chris Middleton

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really a "complete guide", 5 July 2005
This book starts off very well, with a history of audio, going on to how the ear works.
But it soon becomes clear that this is the complete guide to digital audio APPLICATIONS. It covers usages of applications to a reasonable depth, but does not cover any audio theory.
I purchased the book to gain an understanding of digital audio, but I'm afraid it didn't tell me anything more than I knew already from tinkering with digital audio/ reading "Sound on Sound".
I lent it to a friend, however, and he found it a great introduction (hence the 3 stars).