Profile for Piaf Carl > Reviews

Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain
Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain
by Oliver Sacks

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing introspection, 29 Jan 2008
While I have been a fan of Oliver Sacks, I am beginning to realise that a lot of his books seem to be constructed so that they can be easily divided into magazine articles (or they at least appear that way). I have read the first few chapters of Musicophilia only so far and to be totally honest, as a musician with training in the neurosciences, I found it interesting as a subject. However, the book is not well written. It has long segments of rather egocentric introspection and navel gazing. I wish it would focus more on the case studies and have a much more consistent approach to the subject. It is convoluted in parts and much of it seems to lose it's thread and drift into talking about other things, especially at the end of chapters. While Oliver Sacks is undoubtedly an intelligent man, I think that maybe he has neglected the advice of editors and been allowed to do so because he has sold so many books in the past. I bought the book in hardback and actually regret spending so much on it.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 24, 2011 10:30 AM GMT