Profile for Katja Tausig > Reviews

Hashi: A Japanese Cookery Course
Hashi: A Japanese Cookery Course
by Reiko Hashimoto

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Japanese cookbook for any food lover., 5 Mar. 2013
I was given the Hashi cookbook as a birthday present last year. It was a great gift as I am passionate about cooking and asian food, however I don't have a great knowledge of how to cook with Asian flavours. I loved the format of the book being split up into different abilities. I started with a few basic dishes and worked my way through. The instructions are extremely easy to follow. I liked that instead of having a large section on sushi, the basic method is explained and then some fun alternatives are suggested. I also liked that the focus was on japanese cuisine as opposed to just sushi. One of my favourite things to make are gyozas as they are so delicious and I can also make a big batch and freeze them, and once I got the hang of them I was able to experiment with different fillings. The broccoli salad with sesame sauce is also delicious, and the sauce can be used with pretty much any green veg.

I have recommended this book to all of my friends - it is a great way to get started on Japanese cooking without being too basic. Whenever I have made these dishes for friends they have been extremely impressed! It's also a great gift for food lovers like myself.