Profile for JPMurray73 > Reviews

Content by JPMurray73

JPMurray73 "jpm73"

Lonerism
Lonerism

5.0 out of 5 stars Best album of this year so far - but not for everyone!, 6 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Lonerism (Audio CD)
This is the first time I've been compelled to write a review on Amazon, because it has been such a long time since an album has got under my skin the way that "Lonerism" has.

My introduction to Tame Impala came from hearing "Elephant" on 6 Music this summer and being pulled in by the section just after the whispered "here it comes". The song is a beast of a tune - stomping glam rock followed by freak out psychedelia. So when you start playing "Lonerism" I can see why people might be disappointed if they are expecting 11 other "Elephant" type tunes - that isn't what you get here.

The album has got some beautifully written songs with Apocalypse Dreams my personal highlight. Other tracks such as Keep on Lying and Feels Like We Only Go Backwards have a wonderfully evocative mood - no doubt helped by some pretty intense production. It feels like one of those records that is most rewarding when listened to from start to finish in one setting if you have the time.

The album is very heavily layered - but this made me want to put it onto repeat listen for a couple of weeks rather than give up on it. Yes, it seems as if the Producer has been on over-time on many songs, but i've recently felt compelled to give it yet another listen over and over again - and more so than any other album in years - so they must have been doing something right.

After reading other reviews on here, I can only conclude that one man's meat is another man's poison...and "Lonerism" is a meaty feast for me (apologies to all vegetarians...)