Profile for A. Harsono > Reviews

Content by A. Harsono

A. Harsono "andrianharsono" (Sunbury, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
High Command: British Military Leadership in the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars
High Command: British Military Leadership in the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars
by Christopher L. Elliott

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written and relevant to all, military or not., 26 Mar. 2015
Very well -written and a great description of the flaws within the MoD and chain of command that made the Iraq and Afghanistan campaigns the difficult interventions that they were. Elliott also covered very well the interactions between the MoD, generals and the politicians. Strongly recommended read for everyone regardless of whether s/he has any interest in military affairs.

Lamentation (The Shardlake Series)
Lamentation (The Shardlake Series)
by C. J. Sansom

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow in the beginning but picked up towards the end., 17 Feb. 2015
As with C J Sansom's other Shardlake novels, Lamentation started out slow, but picked up in pace later on in the story. Very well-written as always, and provided a real insight to Tudor life. Some heart-breaking moments in the novel that I will not forget for a very long time, but the ending has definitely made me looking forward to the next book. Bring on Shardlake 7!

SBS: The Inside Story of the Special Boat Service
SBS: The Inside Story of the Special Boat Service

3.0 out of 5 stars insightful!, 30 Sept. 2014
Compared to the SAS, the SBS is less heard of. Therefore, it was great to finally have the opportunity to read up on its history. We can never say this enough, but regardless of the sometimes controversial decisions taken by our politicians, we owe a lot to these men and women who risk their lives everyday so that Britain remains free and a force for good in the world.

Scottish Independence: Weighing up the Economics
Scottish Independence: Weighing up the Economics
by Gavin McCrone

5.0 out of 5 stars Strongly recommended... especially if you are undecided!, 27 Aug. 2014
Highly recommended, regardless of how you're going to vote. This is about the most impartial analysis of the referendum debate I have seen so far. I read through 200 pages of this book and after finishing it, I still have no idea how Prof. McCrone is going to cast his vote.

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent read., 12 April 2014
For readers who would like an introduction to Sherlock Holmes, this would be the perfect book to start. The stories are nice, short and digestible and introduces the reader to the genius that is the creation of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Strongly recommended.

A Tale of Two Cities
A Tale of Two Cities
by Dickens Charles
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Indescribable and unforgettable, 12 April 2014
This review is from: A Tale of Two Cities (Audio CD)
In A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens has written one of the most unforgettable books of the history of literature. This is clearly worthy of its title as the best-selling novel of all time.

It is hard to describe what this book is all about. It is about so many things, but simplistically said, it is the story about one of the main characters caught up in the fervour of the French Revolution, resulting in his friends and family based in London to travel to Paris in an attempt to rescue him. The story is both inspirational and sad at the same time.

For those of you who are about to read this book, I have a piece of advice for you: pay close attention. Seemingly insignificant events in the beginning will play an important role towards the end. Also, the story is slow in the beginning, but will pick up very quickly during the second half. Believe me, you will not regret reading this book, and there are plenty of others who feel the same way as I do.

Losing Small Wars: British Military Failure in Iraq and Afghanistan
Losing Small Wars: British Military Failure in Iraq and Afghanistan

4.0 out of 5 stars Sombre reading, but very educational., 5 Aug. 2013
Even though I am not a military man myself, I found this book to be most educational and insightful about our role in Iraq and Afghanistan. Many of the lessons stated in this book can quite easily apply to civilians. It is absolutely gut-wrenching to see the reputation of the British Army fall so low as a result. The UK have much to learn and they must learn it quick.

Task Force Black: The explosive true story of the SAS and the secret war in Iraq

3.0 out of 5 stars interesting read, 10 July 2013
An interesting view of the role of the UK Special Forces in Iraq and their role in tackling Al Qaeda in Iraq.

Resurrection (Classics)
Resurrection (Classics)
by Leo Tolstoy

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written book with a somewhat unsatisfying ending, 23 Feb. 2010
Once again, Tolstoy takes on the grand themes in life and this time round he takes on two of them: redemption and justice.

He has succeeded in developing the main character excellently and he takes us through the journey that Nekhlyudov faces as a man who's willing to give up everything he's got to have one chance at redemption. Along the way, he performs favours for the main accused of the story and discovers for himself the social injustice that governments inflict upon the common man. Tolstoy writes the book to answer the main question of the novel: what is it that brings man to inflict torture, death and punishment upon one another and what can man do about it? The best part of the novel is that while the ending is somewhat unsatisfying, we readers learn a lot about what constitutes redemption and the issues which are still relevant to us today.

This book has give me food for thought about the society we live in today and I'd like to think that it has made me wiser too.

Samsung H1 360
Samsung H1 360

3.0 out of 5 stars Some cool features, but more functionalities than it can handle..., 4 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Samsung H1 360 (Electronics)
I've had this phone for a month now, and so far I've been quite 50-50 about this phone.

First things first, the touchscreen is decent but sometimes unresponsive. If this is very important to you, then you should go for the iPhone. My mom has the iPhone and I have compared the two, the iPhone's touchscreen is much slicker than this one. The other thing is sometimes this phone tries to be fancy in many things but it fails t do the most basic things. Believe it or not, this phone sometimes doesn't send text messages even though I am under clear skies and I have full-bars. This is the first time ever in my life where my phone actually fails to send text messages. Expect only a 90% success rate when sending text messages.

There are some features though which I really like. I'v always enjoyed taking pictures and this phone's camera has a feature that allows you to take panorama pictures instantly. This has enabled me to take many nice pics all around the world. Admitedly, the camera is only 5 Mpixels, but the quality is acceptable. Also, for my business needs, ere is a card scanner which takes a picture of a business card and then proceeds to absorb all the information shown on the business card. I thought this was quite cool. The internet is pretty decent and I can use this feature to read the news, check sports scores and check my emails.

On the whole, if only I had bothered to switch to O2 instead of stick with Vodafone, I probably would have gone with the iPhone.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 5, 2010 9:15 AM BST