ARRAY(0xad0468dc)

Profile for Mr. Stuart Whitehead > Reviews

Content by Mr. Stuart Whi...

Mr. Stuart Whitehead "fancifulprogeny" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Sony Bdpa6000 Blk
Sony Bdpa6000 Blk
Offered by Richer Sounds
Price: 179.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Blu Ray Player, 24 Mar 2014
This review is from: Sony Bdpa6000 Blk (Electronics)
This is the best Blu Ray player I have ever owned. It gives an amazing picture, which you need to see to be believed. Its a beautiful looking player - very slim and full of quality touches like the touch sensitive top.

My one complaint for the product is how delicate the material of the top of the unit is... it scratches very VERY easily.

Yoshi's New Island (Nintendo 3DS)
Yoshi's New Island (Nintendo 3DS)
Offered by quantumkurt
Price: 28.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good game, 17 Mar 2014
For some reason I missed Yoshi on the SNES and so I don't have a game to compare this new one against. I have been playing games since I was around 5 though (first on a Sinclair Spectrum 48k in the 1980's) and can say its a pretty good game.

Its standard Mario fodder, mechanics, coins, enemies all the usual stuff. Not quite as polished as a Mario game usually is on the 3DS though I have to say and the use of 3D has been wasted to some extent. The 3D isn't so much an integral element of the game (as you find in Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong or Mario Kart) - more a 'layered' approach and little else. It adds depth to the game, but little else.

The 3DS has great graphics and the graphics in Yoshi's New Island are also great.

Is it worth the money? I think so. Not the best 3DS game I have but definitely not the worst I've had either.

Logitech MX Anywhere Mouse (Tracks on Glass)
Logitech MX Anywhere Mouse (Tracks on Glass)
Price: 40.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Version 2.0 Logitech MX Anywhere Mouse, 19 Feb 2014
I have just brought the version 2.0 of this mouse from Amazon and having read a lot of negative reviews about the new 'style' of the new edition was a bit worried. People said it looked and felt cheap in comparison to version 1.0 because that had a rubber like top surface in matte black.

I have never owned a version 1.0 Anywhere mouse so I cant compare but I can say the mouse does not feel cheap. I quite like the shiny top surface! I can honestly say I don't understand the hatred of the new version and was shocked at how nice it actually is after reading those reviews.

Hyperscrolling is really good and with the browser Logitech Smoothscrolling plugins installed webpages now friction scroll like they do on an iPad. Awesome.

One thing I did notice though is that with 2 batteries inserted the mouse feels way too heavy, it aches your wrist even. So I run with one battery inserted (which is fine) and it feels much lighter and nippier. Not sure what the battery life is like though yet.

I would definitely buy this mouse again. On a side note - stay clear of the 'touch' mice, where they boast virtual scrolling as they dont have a physical scroll wheel... they suck! Ive tried 3 of those now (from Logitech, Apple and Microsoft) and they all sucked in major ways to the point the mouse is unusable.

Airwick 28368 Duo Air Freshener - Summer/ Peach
Airwick 28368 Duo Air Freshener - Summer/ Peach
Price: 5.25

2.0 out of 5 stars Smells lovely but overpriced and... Causes damage., 1 May 2013
Received 5 of these today because they were on offer. Lovely smelling, it basically has 2 fragrances and a switch to select which one.

WARNING: Painfully they cause damage to the air vent! I own a Peugeot 107 and the vents are plastic, inserting and removing one of these gnarled up the plastic slat. I will be writing to Airwick.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 14, 2013 9:23 AM BST

Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi, Graphite
Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi, Graphite

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, poor PDF support and slow O/S, 31 July 2012
This is a great product, very useful to have all my books in one place. Im a Software Developer and use a large range of huge books so decided to buy the Kindle.

Its a lovely item, much smaller than I had ever imagined and works as you would expect. The only problems are...

Poor PDF support. I think this is a direct decision on Amazons part because if it was great with PDF's (i.e. things you can download for free) then you'd never buy genuine Kindle books. Zoom is set at specific values and you cant set your own so whatever PDF you try to read either has tiny writing or far too large making you scroll horizontally as well as vertical!

Poor genuine accessories. Very over priced and poor quality with regards to the leather case.

Definitely worth buying.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful quality for the price, 31 July 2012
The Kindle is a great product dont get me wrong, but this official case is awful!

For 30 you would expect a lovely, well finished item but my experience of this case is neither of those things. I ordered one case and it came scratched. Second one the same and with an even rougher finish!

Both sent back.

Avoid this case, trust me.

e-Reader Power Adaptor, Kindle UK (Type G) USB charger (for Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle, Kindle Touch, and Kindle Keyboard)
Price: 12.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Robbery, 31 July 2012
Really cant understand why Amazon feel the need to charge 12 for something that should come with a new Kindle as standard. If you buy a new iPad or iPhone for instance you get a USB cable and a plug, makes sense really.

If Amazon really want to make money on this product then at least charge a honest amount - 2.99 would seem more like it.

Shame really because Kindle is a good product.

Internet and World Wide Web How to Program (International Version)
Internet and World Wide Web How to Program (International Version)
by Harvey M. Deitel
Price: 60.79

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent content but Deitel has gone down hill..., 12 May 2012
This book has everything you would ever need to know about internet programming and is written in a very readable way. Deitel books are one of the best at describing technology in such a way as its easy to understand.

I have brought so many Deitel and Deitel books over the years, probably about 10 of them over the various editions and programming languages. Content and quality were second to none but they were always pricey books but I paid it because they were worth it.

However...

This is the first Deitel book I've brought for about 5 years and its on the cheapest paper I have ever seen! Its so thin you can see the other side of the page through both sides and creases like micro thin tracing paper. Gone are the colouful ant cartoon filled pages - the whole book it in black and white. This book is as expensive as Deitel books have ever been, not sure why they have cut back on quality but its dreadful.

Content gets 5 stars.
Paper quality gets -1 star.
Black and white pages -2 stars.

If Deitel carry on like this I will definitely buy elsewhere, a real real shame.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 17, 2012 2:35 PM BST

Tyrannosaur [Blu-ray]
Tyrannosaur [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Peter Mullan
Price: 9.15

5.0 out of 5 stars The best acting you will ever see, 20 Feb 2012
This review is from: Tyrannosaur [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This contains the most realistic and engaging acting I have ever seen - its no wonder the main characters won so many awards for it.

Its a seriously dark film, well beyond anything Shane Meadows has done. Its a difficult watch at times no kidding but is an unmissable film. If you like gritty realistic drama like This Is England then this film is for you.

Just be warned its full on and unflinching.

28 Days Later [Blu-ray]
28 Days Later [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Cillian Murphy
Offered by rsdvd
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the film and its the best it will ever look (Blu Ray), 4 Jun 2011
This review is from: 28 Days Later [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I love this film and have previously owned it on DVD. I read all the bad reviews about the Blu Ray quality but bought it anyway. If you ever watch the 'making of' feature on the disk you will learn the movie was shot using low grade DV cameras because it mimics how we as people are captured on camera in our everyday lives (with things like shop CCTV). It gives it a real life look & feel and can see why they chose that method of shooting.

So how does low grade DV images scale up on Blu Ray? It looks great and is a marked improvement over the DVD. It aint pin sharp like King Kong or The Dark Knight but, for this movie its the best its ever going to look - and thats how you have to review it I think.

The best thing about the Blu Ray release of this movie is the uncompressed sound, it is really outstanding and worth the upgrade to Blu Ray alone.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3