Profile for Amanda Fairbrother > Reviews

Content by Amanda Fairbrother

Amanda Fairbrother (Woking, Surrey, England)

Page: 1 | 2
No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 1 July 2010
Quick delivery. Tried product, but did not get the 'hit at the back of the throat' sensation as with ciggies. Emailed supplier and they told me that the product has to be used for a while before it starts to work properly. My friend tried it and she liked it. She bought it off me and says its absolutely great! She even said that one night that is all she smoked. If you call it smoking!! I might give this product another go at a later date. But all in all not bad.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 28, 2011 3:30 AM BST

Walk Away the Lbs [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Walk Away the Lbs [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Leslie Sansone

5.0 out of 5 stars My God Its So Easy To Do!!!!, 7 Sep 2004
I bought this DVD a week ago and have been exercising each day doing the 2 mile walk. It is absolutely brilliant!!!! I started off with the 1 mile walk which takes about 15-20 minutes and found it fun and energising. Leslie Sansone explains everything to you easily and her helpers are normal people. It helps to see others doing while you exercise at the same time. The 2 mile walk takes approx 30 minutes and uses the small weighted balls, which I havn't got but used canned of baked beans instead!!!. Its starts off slowley so you can warm up and then the tempo picks up. Not only are you walking on the spot but you do side steps, front kicks, front raises, back raises and using the weights you use your abs aswell. At the end you also have a few stretching programmes. By the time I was finished I was sweating like a pig. I havn't done the 3 mile walk yet which takes about 45 minutes and incorporates a belt, I am building up to that one!!!!
Its a fun way to exercise and I hate exercising!!! Well done Leslie.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 7, 2008 2:30 PM GMT

Singles: Flirt Up Your Life (PC CD)
Singles: Flirt Up Your Life (PC CD)
Offered by gowingsstoreltd
Price: 28.52

3.0 out of 5 stars Good concept, but you need a very good computer to play, 2 Jun 2004
I bought this game about a month ago. Unfortunately due to the fact that the system requirements on the Amazon page were incorrect I couldn't play the game on my computer. This game needs loads of memory and a very fast processor, so unless you have 2 ghz or more, don't buy the game. I played this game at work. The system there is a P4 with 1.5 ghz. Even this computer had problems playing the game. Every time I added an item to the flat it would slow the game play. The other annoying thing is that the game auto saves every 5 minutes and it take ages!!! I couldn't find where to switch this off.
The graphics are good, and so they should be. Basically you move in and then try and get each others kit off. After a couple of hours I was bored. Its too much hassle trying to get a relationship going. As the relationship moves along the characters themselves will have conversations that come up on the screen in a box. My bloke asked the woman for a shag! I wasn't expecting that.
So sum up: system requirements are minimum P4 1GHz with 500MB RAM. Optimum: 2GHZ and above with even more memory. Can get boring pretty quickly.

The Entity [1982] [DVD]
The Entity [1982] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Barbara Hershey
Offered by MusicnMedia
Price: 3.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Scary, 15 Jan 2004
This review is from: The Entity [1982] [DVD] (DVD)
This has to be one of the scariest movies I have seen (excluding the Exorcist) which I refuse to watch on my own!!!
Its about Carla Moran, who in the seventies, was sexually abused by poltergiest. Its supposedly a true story, but who knows...? Anyway the story is brilliant and so scary in places that it makes the hairs on your next stand out!!! Barbara Hershey plays a great part.
It starts off with Carla being raped in the bathroom by more than one entity. Her boyfriend, who drives trucks, is away often therefore shes alone at nights expect for her two kids. The entity starts following her around and she nearly has an accident whilst driving her car. She seeks medical help but the doctors think she just needs rest.
When finally someone believes her, he turns out to be an expert in poltergeist and their existance and brings in his crew to video all the goings on. I won't say anymore on the storyline otherwise it will spoil the ending which is brilliant. If you are a fan of the paranormal and love tense and scary movies, this is a must.
I think that I have seen this movie at least 5 times and I never get bored!!!

Guild 1 Europa 1400 (PC CD)
Guild 1 Europa 1400 (PC CD)
Price: 3.80

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad game, 13 Nov 2003
I bought the game last week. Have been playing ever since! This game is a cross between role play, strategy and simulation.
You start by choosing where you are based, either Paris, London etc, and how easy you want the game to be. You then choose your father and mother or have it automatically done for you. Then you choose your career path and what you look like. You can also give yourself whatever name you wish, religion and whether you are male or female. You may then choose how easy the game play will be. Once in the game you start off with one house and one business. You may court and marry, have children, name them and give them gifts and money. Your character will eventually die, if he/she isn't killed or put in the dungeons if they run out of money, so you must have children to carry on playing after that.
You are given AP points each round to use for training in various talents to improve your skills in business, combat, stealth etc. You can manage your business or hire someone to do this for you. After a while (a couple of years in the game play, which is about 2 rounds) you are allowed to become a citizen. This you have to apply for at the council and they will decide. The higher you become the more things you can do. Sometimes the titles are not bestowed to you. It depends on how easy the game play is.
There are various game types which you can choose from free build to various ones containing different assignments etc.
There are various business available to you, publican, thief, trader etc. You can upgrade buildings, make improvements to home and business and become even run for office. It is quite endless and even I havn't found it all out yet. Some upgrades require you to have certain titles.
The graphics are ok, a bit dark and dingy sometimes. What I like the most is the micro management. You have to be on top of your business all the time otherwise things sometimes don't get done. If you have more than two businesses it can get a bit confusing as to which cart (yes you have to take your goods to market and sell in a cart!)belongs to who but then you hire someone to do this for you if it all becomes too much. I think this is the best part of the game.
There is some combat, so far only on the way to market to sell goods, You sometimes get accosted by thieves and you have several choices of what you want to do, you can leave some goods to certain values, flee or fight. Its not hard and doesn't last long.
I personally quite like this game even though sometimes it gets a bit boring waiting for the money to come in but I must admit you could spend hours playing on it. In fact on Sunday I played for at least 6 hours. Where does the time go??? It is very addictive and as I am writing this review I am thinking, who am I going to be tomorrow. What profession shall I choose? Whats going to make me more money, should I stand for office? I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

Space Colony
Space Colony

4.0 out of 5 stars Enteraining & Fun, 16 Oct 2003
This review is from: Space Colony (Video Game)
I bought the game last Friday and havn't stopped playing it since. Its very addictive. The main character is Venus who works for Blackwater Industries. She gets assigned to various worlds with other colonists to either extract minerals, fight aliens or build hotels. There is an easy to learn tutorial and various missions and galactic mode and a very good map and campaign editor which is very simple to use.
The graphics are good but its a shame you can't zoom in or out which I find helps if you are building or if you want to see your little people in more detail. You do need a fast processor to run this game (as with most games nowadays). Its ok at the beginning but if you play a large map or there are many characters in the game, especially aliens, the pc tends to slow down a bit. My processor speed is 450 mhz. The game recommends 800 mhz or more. I can play the game but it does slow down in large maps so if you processor speed is less than mine I wouldn't bother.
There are some great characters in the game from various countries who have all their own identities, likes, dislikes etc. The voice over for these have been well thought out and some of come out with hilarious comments and thoughts.
You can build various items for food, entertainment, health, military, engineering, etc etc. Too many to mention here but all I can say is that its a great game, well thought out, entertaining with many hours of fun.

Restaurant Empire (PC)
Restaurant Empire (PC)
Offered by 1stvideo
Price: 7.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Good concept and well thought out, 23 July 2003
When I first heard about this game I thought great I can't wait to get my hands on it. I love simulation games and the thought of running my own restaurant appealed very much. The graphics and the feel of the game is similar to Hotel Giant which is another great game!!
You have two game modes, campaign and sandbox. If you have never played the game before then its best to start with the campaign which also teaches you the basics. In the campaign mode you are Armand Lebeof (chef) and you take over your uncles old restaurant and are given various goals to achieve with time limits. Some are achievable others not so but practice makes perfect. You furnish the restaurant,employ the staff, decide on the menu from zillions of recipes and how much you can charge. The list is endless and sometimes intricate but fun!!!
The most brilliant part of the campaign mode is that you can enter the local cooking contests!!!! If you win you get a medal or plaque, more recipes and money. Its absolutely brilliant. Whilst your chef is competing in the contest you can play a mini game to help him along (basically the point of the mini game is to test your quickness with the mouse by clicking on certain things) but if you loose your game it could hinder his performance. Please note this is not availabe in the sandbox mode.
Sandbox mode is where you build and play to your hearts content. You can choose your chef from over 30 characters, unfortunately there is only one female chef!!! Why???!!!
You can choose the restaurant type, ie French, Italian or American and where the location should be, Paris, Rome and Los Angeles and how much money you start off with. You then set up the restaurant, place all the furniture, edit your menu, employ the staff and off you go.
My personal thoughts: Campaign mode - not yet finished it but thoroughly entertaining with many goals still to achieve and contests to win. Very addictive at this stage. Could do with more campaign add ons for the future.
Sandbox mode - No cooking contest which would have added a bit more oomph to the game. After setting up the restaurant and opening up there isn't much else to do!! There is some interactions with characters that eat at the restaurant and offer to sell or buy recipes from you but thats it. You can open other restaurants aswell but the same applies. After 4/6 hours of non stop playing I can safely say I had had enough of watching people eat. (but guess what?.....I still keep coming back for more!!!)

White Wind (Leisure historical romance)
White Wind (Leisure historical romance)
by Susan Edwards

4.0 out of 5 stars Engaging, 18 Feb 2003
I have just finished reading this book and thought that it was great. Great storyline, great characters, insight to the indians and how they lived. Very well written. So far this is my third book by Ms Edwards, the others being White Wolf and White Flame, which are all connected. They are very addictive and once you have read one you want to buy the whole lot! Great family saga.
Only one small drawback which I found with all her books, her men tended to be a little too arrogant, bossy and macho. It kind of makes you cringe a little but then I suppose in those days white men and indian warriors were like that.

War Cloud's Passion (Legendary Warriors)
War Cloud's Passion (Legendary Warriors)
by Karen Kay

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 8 Feb 2003
Anna Wiley has 12 orphaned children in her care and for whom she must find 'good Christian' homes. Whilst heading West, by train, a war party of cheyenne warriors attack. She and the children are spared because earlier Anna had saved War Cloud's younger brother who had been abducted by the 'whites'.
War cloud reluctantly takes charge of her and the orphans because his younger brother will not allow him to kill them! This is where their journey starts. There is also a curse involved but I won't say anymore otherwise it will spoil the story!
When I started reading the book, especially about the massacre that took place on the train, I thought how on earth are these two going to come together? Here we have a bunch of ruthless warriors who would not think twice about killing women and children. How will Anna Wiley overcome the barriers that separate them? How does she conquer his hate for the 'whites'?
This story totally amazed me. The author lets you see and feel how, maybe, a warrior would act and feel; his mannerisms and gestures; his speach. The way he, at first, ignores Anna showing her his back and only grunting when she speaks to him! Even though he speaks perfectly good english he makes out, at first, that he does not understand her!
Karen Kay makes you understand the plight of the indians, how they suffered at the hands of the'whites' in that era. A story certainly told from the heart. Its very hard to describe how well the book is written. Sometimes I find it easier to review a book that is not very good or lacking in depth/concept. You know exactly what you are going to say but with this book there a so many good points that its difficult to put down on paper.
To me this is a great book with characters that have depth and meaning. Thoroughly enjoyable. I found that I didn't want to put the book down and certainly didn't want the story to end; now to me that is a sign of an excellent read! Well done Karen Kay!

Nights of Passion (Lovegram historical romances)
Nights of Passion (Lovegram historical romances)
by Patricia Pellicane

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, 7 Feb 2003
The story begins with Abigail Pennyworth who goes in search of her younger sister Amanda. Amanda has run away with her art teacher and has been missing for a year. On the way Abigail meets the very handsome Deputy Jeremiah Hawk.
At the beginning Hawk tries to prevent Abigail from searching for her sister because its too dangerous for a woman on her own, even though she is with her fiance, who is about as useful as a dead dog! Abigail being a wealthy, independant and stubborn belle ignores Hawk's warning. After a couple of near misses with some unsavioury characters who try to molest her she agrees to let Deputy Hawk and the Law find her sister. Until that is when she finds out her sister has left and then follows her. This is where the real adventure begins.
The story is well written and the play between Abigail and Hawk is funny and stormy. Both being very stubborn and none wanting to back down on any occasion. The sparks start to fly! The story also centers, some, on Amanda, who by now is pregnant, has ran away from her art teacher lover, who beats her up and is trying to make her way home with no money!
The only slight niggle I had with the story is that even though Abigail and Hawk's relationship is very stormy their 'coming together' was not!. Throughout the book they tease and taunt;they kiss and caress. At one point you think - God when they finally get it together its going to be great! - unfortunately not so. Its very sedate and blah. I would have expected something more firey and enticing. Anyway this in no way spoils a very well written story with a great plot.

Page: 1 | 2