Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Learn More Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen in Prime Shop now Learn more
Profile for Spiralgoddess > Reviews

Content by Spiralgoddess

Spiralgoddess (Wiltshire)

Page: 1 | 2
For Your Entertainment
For Your Entertainment
Offered by westworld-

3.0 out of 5 stars He had to start somewhere...., 25 Nov. 2009
This review is from: For Your Entertainment (Audio CD)
I moved to the USA from the UK in 2007 and I thoroughly enjoyed Adam Lambert's performances on last year's American Idol. He is totally amazing and deserves to be successful. This is a mild disappointment overall but he had to start somewhere. i can't believe some of the comments writing him off after his first album which (I would imagine) has been totally controlled bu "the biz"!

I can foresee great things once he builds up his confidence enough (inner, not what he does on stage) to break away a bit and show us what he can really do!

Go for it Adam - you're a star!

Lars and the Real Girl [DVD] [2007]
Lars and the Real Girl [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Ryan Gosling

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as weird and creepy as it sounds!, 30 Oct. 2009
I was a little concerned that Lars and the real Girl would be an attempt to make these strange and somewhat creepy dolls somehow acceptable and not in any way odd or weird. This is not what this wonderful and often sweet film is about.

Lars has issues! There can be no doubt about that but the way in which the story progresses moves away from the "real doll" aspect and focuses on the human story. The story of Lars and his community. The way in which people care and the way in which we are all a bit strange in our own way, real doll or not!

I was surprised by how much I liked this film and at how sensitive and funny it was in places. The decisions Lars makes with Bianca are a response to what he wants or needs from those around him and his ultimate decision brings him firmly back into the fold. Wonderful!

White Chalk
White Chalk

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 29 Sept. 2007
This review is from: White Chalk (Audio CD)
I have read a couple of reviews slating PJ for not doing exactly the same things as she has done before. They appear to have missed the point! This is exactly what makes her a true musician. This album explores a whole new side and it's excellent. If you want a band that just regurgitates, listen to the Pussycat Dolls *ughhh* can't believe I mentioned the unmentionable!

PJ's music is an holistic experience. If you don't like the music, listen to the lyrics but better still take the songs as a whole and you get the full picture.

In a nutshell - enjoy. I did!

Pan's Labyrinth (2 Disc Set) [2006] [DVD]
Pan's Labyrinth (2 Disc Set) [2006] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Doug Jones
Offered by Rikdev Media

4.0 out of 5 stars Haunting and dark, 17 July 2007
Make no mistake - this is a film for adults! Dark and at times violent (very), it would be difficult to include a storyline about fascism without it though without sanitising something that cruel and unfeeling.

The story of Ofelia and her world of fantasy is cleverly done. I was a little disappointed at the "tasks" but overall, it was a small niggle given the strength of the performances and the other issues being dealt with. Her way of coping with the pain and struggle that is her life was almost the sideline to the key issues of the resistance fighters and her loyalties, which set her against her new "Father" as her mother moves away from her.

The ending really made me cry, which to me points to a good film and thankfully, no "Hollywood" style ending.

I really enjoy watching films from all around the world so the subtitles were fine, I understand the director translated it all himself due to his distrust of other translators so I knew this was true to the Spanish being spoken. All in all, I'm not sure if I could take watching the more violent parts again but will definitely watch it once more at some point.

Big Nothing [DVD]
Big Nothing [DVD]
Dvd ~ Simon Pegg
Offered by 247dvd

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Feelings but worth a look!, 24 May 2007
This review is from: Big Nothing [DVD] (DVD)
Worth a watch, definitely but for me it didn't quite hit the spot.... almost, but not quite. Schwimmer was OK if a little lack-lustre and the other actors were fine but it didn't really excite or thrill as I had hoped.... perhaps I expected too much! There was always a sense of waiting for the "point" of the film to develop or materialise and each time the film progressed to the next stage something fell short. That said, there were genuine laugh out loud and grimacing (in a good way) moments which makes it worth seeing. I really could not get used to Simon Pegg's (somewhat unconvincing) American accent but hey, after about 25 mins I didn't notice it quite so much.

Not a patch os Sean of the Dead and Hot Fuzz but watch it...... GO ON..... watch it :-) !!!

Junebug [DVD]
Junebug [DVD]
Dvd ~ Amy Adams
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Feelings, 20 Feb. 2007
This review is from: Junebug [DVD] (DVD)
It's difficult to truly describe Junebug! On the one hand, it has some interesting moments comparing very different lifestyles and not judging either one. The imagery and inherent southern culture clashes in a mostly passive aggressive way, with only the two brothers allowing any true resentment struggle to the surface. The two sides clash politely whilst having no idea what to do with each other.

On the other hand, whilst this can draw one in for a while, when the credits began to roll, I was still waiting for something to happen. Apart from a somewhat dubious (medically speaking) tragedy to highlight the difference in priorities, there was little meat on the bones here, and I was left feeling somewhat empty.

I did like it, in places, but I also felt that there were things brewing which never really came to fruition. A shame really given the promising characters who could have had a lot more to do.

Spaced - Definitive Collectors' Edition [DVD]
Spaced - Definitive Collectors' Edition [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jessica Stevenson

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - British Humour Extraordinaire, 30 Jan. 2007
Fantastically funny show with a range of characters covering every eccentricity one can imagine. For once....... an equally hilarious and fantastic female lead in a comedy, not just a sidekick or comedy feed (RARE!!!)This has to be my favourite comedy show of all time (Blackadder a close second) for its craziness, sweetness, excellent storylines and intelligent humour. IF YOU DO NOT OWN THIS......... YOU MUST HANG YOUR HEAD IN SHAME AND APOLOGISE TO EVERYONE YOU MEET!!! Is that desperate and "I'M YOUR NUMBER 1 FAN"(ish) enough for ya ;-)

Navman ICN-510- UK  GPS Navigation System
Navman ICN-510- UK GPS Navigation System

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent entry level navigation, 29 Jan. 2007
For the price, this unit is fantastic!!! Yes, there are one or two niggles but so far it literally has been minor. I have owned mine for about a year and it has always got me to where I want to go. Brilliant to be able to download from the net if you want other maps etc and costs far less than other models which pretty much do the same thing. Can't understand mhy anyone would moan at this price.

Page: 1 | 2