Profile for Debra from Hull > Reviews

Content by Debra from Hull

Debra from Hull (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
Breakaway [DVD] [2003]
Breakaway [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Dean Cain

2.0 out of 5 stars Die Hard.......on a budget!, 28 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Breakaway [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
Normally I wouldn't touch this kind of film with a barge pole. However it's also known as Christmas Rush in the States which is what got my interest.

The plot - bad men want to rob the local shopping mall of all it's takings on Christmas Eve. Good but troubled cop goes to said mall to buy flowers for wife. Good but troubled cop soon gets caught up in the action in the hope of stopping the bad men. I wonder how it ends? Oops, forgot to mention that the wife of the good but troubled cop works at the mall!

The film wasted well over half an hour on pointless and unimaginative shoot-outs. That is it's biggest flaw. Far too much padding out - if this was a TV programme they could have easily covered it in 50 minutes.

It's not all bad - just don't expect too much!

Merry Christmas Pop CD
Merry Christmas Pop CD
Offered by Media Hessen

4.0 out of 5 stars Tracklisting in full, 27 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Merry Christmas Pop CD (Audio CD)
Do They Know It's Christmas - Band Aid
Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas - Vanessa Williams
Step Into Christmas - Elton John
Silent Night - Sharon Bryant
Spaceman Came Travelling, A - Chris De Burgh
Funky Christmas Marvin Sease
Christmas Rapping - Kurtis Blow
My Christmas - Tony! Toni! Tone!
Christmas Song, A - Shawn Phillips
Merry Christmas Everybody - Metal Guru's
Winters Tale, A - David Essex
Christmas Day - Squeeze
Rent A Santa - Chris Hill
It May Be Winter Outside - Love Unlimited

With the exception of Chris Hill, this CD's songs are all on another compilation entitled Merry Christmas Merry Christmas. The other difference between that album and this is that this one is missing Stay Another Day - East 17, Whigfield - Last Christmas and Christmas Wrapping - The Waitresses. As they're on a par price-wise I'd recommend getting the other one just because of the extra tracks. Even without them this a good selection especially if you want to hear somethig a bit different from Mud, Slade etc. Especially the Chris Hill and Metal Guru's tracks. BTW Metal Guru's are The Mission with Noddy Holder! However if you collect Christmas music as I do please be aware that this is the only time I've seen Chris Hill on a compilation CD.

Mickey's Once Upon A Christmas [DVD]

These are the titles in full -

Donald Duck's Stuck On Christmas
A Very Goofy Christmas
Mickey & Minnie's Gift Of The Magi

All three cartoons were made in 1999. Although not a big collector of Disney I did do some research to see if these titles were repeated on other DVDs. The answer is no! So if you buy this you at least you know that it's something you haven't already got!

The cartoons are typical Disney fare - great animation etc. Expect high quality but not too many surprises. Any Disney fan will love it!

Mary Engelbreit's The Night Before Christmas [2005] [DVD]
Mary Engelbreit's The Night Before Christmas [2005] [DVD]
Dvd ~ W. Tyler Schwartz
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

2.0 out of 5 stars It's OK - just don't pay too much!, 27 Mar. 2010
Mary Engelbreit is an American graphic artist and book illustrator. She did the illustrations for the book 'The Night Before Christmas' and was then made into this feature. Anyone familiar with the Clement C. Moore poem will understand that they had to expand the story to make it 23 minutes long. This takes the form of a mouse who has to try and break the spell placed on Santa by a witch. Some musical numbers are thrown in as well - more as fillers really.
Before buying this I had no prior knowledge of it. As a collector of Christmas DVDs it kept coming up in my Amazon searches so I thought I'd give it a go for a penny! It's fairly bog-standard CGI but the mouse is quite cute. Although I watched it on my own, I get the feeling that this DVD would be like Marmite for kids in that they would either love it or hate it!
One of the voice artists is Kevin Kline who it turns out knew Mary as a child. I found this out by watching the bonus extras, of which there a quite a few (Sing Along; Meet Mary; Behind The Scenes; A Very Mary Christmas).

Keeping Up Appearances: Deck Halls Hyacinth [DVD] [1990] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

3.0 out of 5 stars The Christmas Specials, 21 Mar. 2010
This is a DVD of all the Christmas specials although only one has a Christmas theme. See below for the full list. I was never that keen on the programme when it first aired and that opinion hasn't changed. It's not that it's bad, it just isn't my type of humour. The reason I bought it is because of the Christmas episode. Far funnier were the 'Kitty' monologues that Patricia Routledge did on Victoria Wood - As Seen On TV which is a bonus feature of the DVD. Unfortunately Victoria Wood isn't given any credit for the writing at the end of it.

The Father Christmas Suit - 1991

O Holy Night - Tracy Chapman
Run Rudolph Run - Sheryl Crow
Little Drummer Boy / Hot Hot Hot - Wyclef Jean
Merry Christmas Baby - Stevie Wonder & Wyclef Jean

The first 7 tracks are videos, the last 5 are from A Very Special concert.

Standouts for me were U2 and Stevie Wonder (even with Wyclef Jean!). I originally bought this because I've collected all the A Very Special Christmas CDs. It's OK but I can't see me playing it too much. I think the biggest problem is that although it's all Christmas songs, it just doesn't feel Christmassy.

Little Spirit: Christmas in New York [DVD] [2008] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Little Spirit: Christmas in New York [DVD] [2008] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

1.0 out of 5 stars Little Spirit...even less appeal!, 24 Feb. 2010
This is an animated film about a young boy moving with his family and dog to New York. He feels alone in the strange city, even more so when he loses his dog. The story then follows him as as he tries to find the dog (and finds new friends along the way).

OK - this DVD isn't aimed at my age group (40+) but I felt there was no soul to the film. The animation was awful to boot. I bought it for the Christmas theme but Christmas was just the backdrop to the story, not a central theme.
I'll keep it in my collection but I doubt I'll watch it again.

Scooby-Doo: Christmas Triple [DVD]
Scooby-Doo: Christmas Triple [DVD]

4.0 out of 5 stars All the titles in full!, 11 Feb. 2010
These are the titles in full -

Disc #1 Chill Out, Scooby-Doo! - Feaure length movie (2007)

Disc #2 What's New Scooby-Doo? Disc 10 (all between 2002 and 2005)
Gentlemen, Start Your Monsters
A Scooby-Doo! Halloween
A Scooby-Doo! Christmas
A Menacing Round With A Menacing Metallic Clown

Disc #3 The New Scooby-Doo Mysteries - The Nutcracker Scoob Parts I & II (1984)
Scooby-Doo and Scrappy Doo - Alaskan King Coward (1979)
The Scooby-Doo Show - A Scary Night With A Snow Beast Fright (1978)
Scooby Do Where Are You? - That's Snow Ghost (1969)

As you can see the selection is quite varied! As most reviewers commented on the titles I thought I'd put them up!

I never knew there were so many incarnations of Scooby-Doo! For less than a fiver this represents great value for money. Most have a Winter/snow theme rather than a Christmas one. The Nutcracker Scoob is by far the most Christmassy, even more so than A Scooby-Doo Christmas. If you're buying purely for Christmas-based episodes then you may be disappointed. However for a collection of Scooby-Doo through the years this is perfect. Like Doctor Who, we all have a different version we grew up with!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 12, 2010 6:43 PM GMT

Lassie's Christmas Stories [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Lassie's Christmas Stories [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

3.0 out of 5 stars Lassie Comes Home to my house!, 28 Jan. 2010
Lassie ran in the States from 1954 - 1973 and was one of the first programmes that always aired in the same slot on the same day.

These are the three Christmas episodes from 1958, 1960 and 1961. There's quite a quaintness about them. The first one sees Lassie get run over saving a child (relax, he lives!) and the second is about a homeless family that Timmy befriends. But easily the best is the third one where Timmy's friend comes to stay Christmas Eve. It really tugs at the heart strings. Ellen Corby, the grandma from The Waltons, appears too which makes it even better for me!

In summary, this would make a great stocking filler for either the very young or someone in their fifties. I can't see it having too much appeal for those inbetween though. Me? I bought it because I collect Christmas DVDs and I vaguely remember it as a kid.

Keep Christmas With You [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Keep Christmas With You [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

1.0 out of 5 stars Keep Christmas With You but not with this DVD!,, 14 Jan. 2010
This a DVD which is essentially Kenny putting on a concert with five kids. It's just too twee for words. He's a great singer but the kids just don't add anything to it. In fact the funniest (unintentional of course) part is when the kids are singing especially at 38:10 mins! It's awful - I would've expected someone of Kenny's experience to say "Listen kid, sometimes less is more!"
Also on the DVD are Garth Brooks, Trisha Yearwood and Boyz II Men.

Unless you're a fan, give it a miss. I only paid a penny for it so I'm not too bothered!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13