Profile for Charles G. > Reviews

Content by Charles G.

Charles G. "Charlie" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Epson WorkForce WF-3520DWF 4-in-1 Printer with Double-sided Printing
Epson WorkForce WF-3520DWF 4-in-1 Printer with Double-sided Printing

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent print quality and speed but let down in a few areas., 18 Feb 2014
We have had our WF3520 for nearly a year now so I can review it with some confidence.
On the plus side it is quick and the results are good, it even prints double sided which is essential to us for our magazine proofs. It scans and copies well - though we have found the least hassle method of scanning is to insert a memory card into the printer and direct scans to there rather than try to initiate them from a computer.
On the downside:
The ink is expensive, but we don't want to use cheap alternatives for fear of clogging the fixed print heads, also per multiple user's experiences most non-Epson cartridges won't work with the printer anyway.

The printer decides when it is time to replace a cartridge, and there is no way of over riding this. Today for example in the middle of printing a 60 page proof it decided the yellow needed replacing - there was no evidence of fading or banding it was printing perfectly - the printer just decided it had to be replaced, makes you wonder how much expensive ink gets wasted with this.To add insult to injury this interruption resulted in a page not printing properly meaning we had to go back and reprint at the end of the job.

The wireless connection works but the machine can take anything up to 30 seconds to react to a print command, when it is in sleep mode. This is actually so long that you sometimes send the job again thinking you either didnt do it first time or the printer had something up with it at the time.

So over all it is an ok printer which does give good results, but look carefully before you commit to buying, there may be better options out there.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 11, 2014 3:30 PM GMT

Depeche Mode: The Biography
Depeche Mode: The Biography

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for fans, 15 Jan 2014
I remember becoming a life long fan of DM when my friend dropped the needle on his copy of Speak and Spell back in 1982, from then on I have bought everything they produced. I do regret only seeing them in concert once - the 101 tour - since then I haven't been able to find anyone else willing to go with me! So finding this biography was quite a nice surprise, it fills in all the background on how they got started and why they added Alan Wilder then lost him again! It answers the question as to why they went from releasing a new album each year to every 3 years and provides a valuable side history of Mute Records who surely only became as big as they are due to the close involvement with DM.

The biography doesn't hold back and gives details of disagreements, earnings and personal failings of the band members, it doesn't necessarily make you like them any better but the honesty is appreciated and for me it has always been about the music anyway.

Overall it is a great way to find out about the men behind the music and I would just like to say I wish they would do a few more tour dates in the UK - I counted just one in Birmingham - for their 2013/4 tour.

I should just add that as a result of reading this I have repurchased all the earlier albums which I had on vinyl and haven't been able to play for about 10 years, you find yourself wanting to relive the history of the band through the music.

The Shuddering
The Shuddering

3.0 out of 5 stars Kind of horrible and in a way pointless, 8 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Shuddering (Kindle Edition)
The shuddering is your typical cut off in a remote location with ravenous creatures closing in for the kill type affair so nothing original there. What made it pointless was the huge amount of space dedicated to explaining and setting out the relationships of those involved, where was this all heading and what did it matter in the end? Its an ok read, and does get you thinking 'what would I do in these circumstances', hence I have given it 3 stars.

Battle Royale 2: Requiem [DVD] [2003]
Battle Royale 2: Requiem [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Tatsuya Fujiwara
Offered by Jasuli

2.0 out of 5 stars Dull, 8 Jan 2014
I wondered why BR2 was not listed with its predecessor on streaming services until I bought it on DVD so I could watch it, now I know it is just plain boring. The first part is very much BR1 all over again, then it seems to drag on forever with ridiculous escapes and deaths the order of the day towards the end of it.

Stick to BR1, don't let your memory of that be sullied by this overblown nonsense.

Left Alone (The Left Series Book 2)
Left Alone (The Left Series Book 2)

3.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly inept main characters but somehow the story works, 8 Jan 2014
Having read the first two 'Left' books I'm not sure I'll read the next one as I feel I've seen enough of the series.
Brett is probably one of the most inept lead characters ever, he and Smith seem to end up in deep trouble more out of their own stupidity than anything else, so far he has wiped out half their original gang by leading them into dead ends and traps, the roof top encounter in the first book, then the stupidity of riding a scooter into a mass of zombies, the list goes on. The story itself is kind of ok and to some extent is believable in so far as a group of people just getting by and wandering fairly aimlessly across the US can be. There is a sense of humour to the writing which is quite a nice feature, but the style over all lacks polish. One thing I do quite like is that there is no sudden shocks on the back of a happy moment. Many authors use this device - just as everyone is doing well or feel they are safe - wham one of them dies, Fletcher plays it straight and lets his characters enjoy their brief periods of happiness. Overall it is an ok series, however in a saturated zombie market I can't recommend it except that the books are pretty cheap to pick up.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 1, 2014 8:24 PM BST

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (2 Disc Edition) [DVD] [2005]
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (2 Disc Edition) [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Martin Freeman|Mos Def|Sam Rockwell
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Muddled, 1 Jan 2014
Watching this with my children yesterday - their first time seeing it - I was struck by how muddled and confusing it really is, I benefited from seeing it for the 3rd time and also having listened to the audio book a couple of times helped me to make sense of it. That said they sat and watched it all the way through and found it quirky and quite funny as I did, therefore it earns three stars for a brave attempt at capturing quite a difficult book in a short film. Mainly it is saved by the excellence of the actors chosen for the lead roles, especially the initially cowardly Arthur Dent and the always lovely Zooey Deschanel as Trisha.

Psychosis (Wildfire Chronicles Vol. 3)
Psychosis (Wildfire Chronicles Vol. 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Wildfire Chronicles continues to get better, 9 Dec 2013
Mr Griffiths has written in the notes to his novels that he is surprised that people read and enjoy what he writes. He shouldn't be so shocked as he actually knows how to write; creating interesting characters, a great scenario and fast paced plot.
Psychosis continues the story of Rachel and the other survivors, with some new characters - good and bad - introduced to shake things up a bit. Personally I love the fact that Schizophrenic Alex makes an appearance, and the way he "grows" in the book opens up a scary new dimension which no doubt will be revealed in the next installment. There appears to be a fair few ideas drawn from other apocalyptic tales - Resident Evil, 28 Days Later, but as with the first novel the author puts his own spin on things and yes I will definitely be getting the fourth book when it appears.

Shock (Wildfire Chronicles Vol. 2)
Shock (Wildfire Chronicles Vol. 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction to a new character, 9 Dec 2013
Short, but action packed intro to Psychosis, introduces a new character to the little band of roving survivors, read it then go straight on to Psychosis so you can follow the full story.

World War Z
World War Z

3.0 out of 5 stars Watch the film - it is much better, 24 Nov 2013
This review is from: World War Z (Kindle Edition)
On this ocassion I saw the film twice then decided to check out the book expecting it to fill in all the details missed out to keep the pace up, instead it is one long frustrating bunch of short stories with virtually no cohesion or continuity one to the next. True enough some of the stories are excellent - the downed pilot comes to mind as a stand out example, but you want to know what happens to these people not skip to the next excerpt and never hear from them again. If I had known the book was structured this way I would have saved my money and just bought the DVD.
Interestingly the Zombie type is quite different from book to film as well, in book form they are your typical shufflers - take days to convert a person into the living dead. In the film the pattern follows much more closely the 28 Days Later format - near instant conversion rates and super fast sprinters, this does tend to work better in a film as it conveys the idea of complete overwhelm far more effectively than a bunch of shufflers could do.

Illusion
Illusion
by Paula Volsky

5.0 out of 5 stars Under no illusions about how good this is., 13 Nov 2013
This review is from: Illusion (Paperback)
I love this book, I've read it three times and could quite happily go through it again.
The fantasy take on the French Revolution is brilliantly realized and the intense story line with strong central characters really drives it on. There are many stand out moments but Eliste's servant's sacrifice on her behalf is one of the most powerful - a bit like a Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens, except here Cairth (I think her name was) is the sort of person you care about almost as much as Eliste.

Five stars from me, and it also opened up the wonderful world of Paula Volsky's fantasy fiction for me too.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20