Profile for Minty > Reviews

Content by Minty

Minty "Minty" (Essex, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Chill Factor Ice Cream Maker - Vanilla Pink
Chill Factor Ice Cream Maker - Vanilla Pink

5.0 out of 5 stars A great way to enjoy fat-free ice cream by using fat-free ..., 15 Aug. 2014
A great way to enjoy fat-free ice cream by using fat-free yogurt, and much quicker than a standard ice cream maker.

Save the Date
Save the Date
by Allie Spencer

1.0 out of 5 stars How on earth did this book get published?, 15 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Save the Date (Paperback)
This book is badly written and poorly edited ("me and my best friend....slithered home" - since when was "me" the subject of a verb in English?). I found the characters to be completely lifeless and unattractive (except for the dog) and the "humour" left me cold, as it seemed very contrived and laborious. Other reviews are very enthusiastic so perhaps this author is just not for me!

The Casual Vacancy
The Casual Vacancy
by J.K. Rowling

1.0 out of 5 stars Dire and over-written, 8 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The Casual Vacancy (Paperback)
I suspect that this would not have been published were J.K. Rowling not the author. Thoroughly nasty characters and the work is need of severe pruning and editing. The writing is so verbose that after the first chapter, which did engage my interest, I would not have finished it had it not been my reading's group's book of the month for our next meeting.

The Great Gatsby
The Great Gatsby
by F. Scott Fitzgerald

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 19 Jun. 2013
This review is from: The Great Gatsby (Paperback)
Wonderful, poetic language but the emptiness of the main characters' lives made it difficult for me to empathise with them or to feel any great sense of loss at the ultimate tragedy.

Gone Girl
Gone Girl
by Gillian Flynn

1.0 out of 5 stars Why all the fuss?, 17 May 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Paperback)
Unreadable, unbelievable and disappointing in the extreme. I am at a loss to understand the overwhelming success of this book.

The Return Journey
The Return Journey
by Maeve Binchy

1.0 out of 5 stars Would have been better had I not already read these stories, 26 Jun. 2010
This review is from: The Return Journey (Paperback)
Sorry, but this is the second collection of short stories published as if new when in fact all but one appear in earlier collections. I felt conned into buying this and agree with the other reviewer who felt short-changed. Maeve Binchy is highly readable and very popular and I think it is time that her publishers made clear when they are reissuing old collections instead of promoting the books as new.

The White Queen
The White Queen
by Philippa Gregory

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly readable, 15 Oct. 2009
This review is from: The White Queen (Hardcover)
I enjoyed this book very much. Elizabeth Woodville - a relatively minor character of English history - was brought to life in a vivid portrayal. The only disappointment for me was to find that the book was written in the present tense. Many authors seem to opt for this to create a sense of immediacy for the reader but I find it intensely irritating. I much prefer my historic fiction (and indeed, all fiction) to be written in the past tense.

Afternoon Tea (AA Lifestyle Guides)
Afternoon Tea (AA Lifestyle Guides)
by AA Publishing

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the greedy, 11 May 2009
A useful guide to keep in the car or to take on a journey so that you can find the best places for tea when out and about. Opening hours, tips and hints and other useful information about tea shops are included, along with details of how to contact and find each venue listed. One curiosity - many Tea Shops seem to close at 4.00 pm or 4.30 pm - the very time when many of us would be wanting a nice cup of tea...

A Handbook for the Freemason's Wife
A Handbook for the Freemason's Wife
by Philippa Faulks

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and informative, 11 May 2009
A must for anyone married to or close to a Freemason, or indeed for anyone wishing to know more about the Brotherhood. It demystifies the society, explains the basis of some of the rites and rituals, and includes some amusing anecdotes.

My Big Book Of Spanish Words
My Big Book Of Spanish Words
by Rebecca Emberley
Edition: Board book

2.0 out of 5 stars Be warned!, 11 May 2009
A colourful book but this is an American publication so some of the translations are not appropriate for UK usage and the spelling is also American rather than English. The Spanish is Mexican not Castilian so the book is not really suitable for anyone wanting to teach Spanish to an English child. It is a shame that this is not made clear on the Amazon site.

Page: 1 | 2