Profile for J. Gillett > Reviews

Content by J. Gillett

J. Gillett "infinite-inertia" (Not entirely sure...)

Page: 1 | 2
Dead Space 3 (Xbox 360)
Dead Space 3 (Xbox 360)
Offered by Cache Media

5.0 out of 5 stars Not to be compared to previous installments, stands alone in a trilogy strangely!, 22 May 2014
For the benefit of those trying to make a decision on whether to buy, here are the relevant points:

Good: 1) The graphic and action aspects are intact 2) The game is quite long for single player standards these days 3) Some of the new gameplay aspects work very well (weapon crafting for one) 4) Annoying monetary system is gone, replaced with a far more sensible raw materials angle 5) Clever (albeit confusing) game settings, which makes the game accessible to newbies, but gives seasoned veterans what they crave! 6) Co-Op

Bad: 1) The "Core" principle of Dead Space, the survival horror has been lessened by setting on Terra Firma, but to be honest they had to try something else, or be accused of never doing anything new! 2) Some of the stages are a little too "safe" with the obligatory "go-to-area, meet, go back for parts, rinse & repeat", but that is maybe the genre's fault, not E.A's 3) There are benches literally EVERYWHERE, gone are the days of the original Resi Evil, with it's single solitary crate...meaning having to creep past deadly hunters with ZERO HEALTH, crapping yourself! 4) The soundtrack doesn't sound as good as previous instalments, gets a bit monotonous 5) Too much emphasis on DLC to tide over difficulty levels (first creeping into the 2nd title) 6) Co-Op.

This bit for everyone who has already played, so skip if you haven't!

I found the game to be very good, not on a par with the rest of the trilogy in many respects, but you can see a learning curve for visceral games. I cannot fault the action set pieces that the series is synonymous with, they have been left mercifully intact; what does bother me about it is the all too familiar reliance on DLC packs to add weapons/suits/materials. I mean they do have the ability to use it's own in game credit system that costs nothing, but the first option is usually to use monies, the free option found in an alternative sub-menu. The annoying thing is how sparse the free system is; I had to get through almost 7 chapters before I could purchase anything for free, having already had to get through one or two hair raising sections in particular. Obviously if you pay money, you get them immediately. On the harder settings (Pure Survival/Impossible) it would pretty much be "Impossible" WITHOUT paying money for weapons/upgrades/resources, unless you play 3-4 times over, which I perceive to be completely "on purpose".

Those points considered; I would still recommend this game whole-heartedly. Myself and a very close friend have played through 3 times apiece, still not got all achievements (hardest still to go ;) ) Another slightly irritating aspect is the Co-op mode, as although it is nice to have this included for SOME multiplayer aspect (sorely lacking in previous instalments), you cannot gain all the achievements WITHOUT undertaking the "optional" multiplayer chapter side-missions.

As my summary states "strangely stands on it's own although being part of a trilogy", I stand by that remark. It contains enough familiar territory to satisfy series stalwarts, enough difficulty options to make it accessible to all players (new & old), has enough new aspects to keep veterans reasonably happy with proceedings, but alas is not "Dead Space" or even "Dead Space 2".

Hope this helps; vote up if you agree with my opinions.

Acid Reflex
Acid Reflex
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent, insightful and educated Hip Hop. Underrated for sure!, 4 April 2014
This review is from: Acid Reflex (Audio CD)
Paris has been around for a very long time, being one of the "New Jack Swing"/Hip Hop crossover artists from the early 90's. At that time; releases like "The Devil Made Me Do It" proved to be a little too ambitious for the average listener, at a time when Gangsta rap was the order of the day, 2Pac, Biggie Wallace and Warren G/Dre had the bulk of the airplay...

A good friend's parents owned a "Mom & Pop Store" music shop, which meant they stocked a wider selection than mainstream outlets. I first discovered Paris in the early 90's, right away I could tell that this was a totally different beast to the rest. His rhymes are laced with metaphors and deep troubling thoughts, that stick in your mind until long after the album finishes.

This album continues this theme of political, social and economic insights. The title track "Acid Reflex" is a great summarising of many different points, also consolidating his previous work in context. It's hard to pick individual tracks, as the whole album causes you to question what you know about certain things. Paris has a really laid back way of painting pictures from a specific demographic of the U.S, angry young men who welcome knowledge and educate themselves...come on admit it...not exactly the stereotype of hip-hop. He merges assaults on the American benefits system with foreign policy in the same verse...clever stuff. I would definitely recommend this album to people who are maturing from the "head nodding" hip-hop into something that requires the listener to pay attention to what is being said. Top marks from me!

Sonic Jihad (W/Dvd)
Sonic Jihad (W/Dvd)

5.0 out of 5 stars Important listening if you are a "True" fan of hip hop..., 30 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Sonic Jihad (W/Dvd) (Audio CD)

This album continues this theme of political, social and economic insights. Listening to his work you can tell that unlike many artists, who focus on getting the beats ultra tight, but say next to nothing worth hearing lyrically, Paris focus is on the words. I have to agree with some others who criticise the weak backing tracks, but if that's the reason you put a CD in the player, I pity you. Many of the topics are difficult to hear and justify within ones self, but regardless are important subjects that should be discussed and given more airtime and consideration in the mainstream, perhaps the music industry would be in a better place if it did?

Tracks like; Lay Low, Agents Of Repression, AWOL and of course, the ubiquitous "What Would You Do?" unofficial theme of the 911 truth movement, add real gravitas to the album. Introducing concepts and subjects that many have already considered for a long time, and it seems very strange to hear them on a hip hop album! It also features Dead Prez, Public Enemy, Kam & Immortal Technique. I admit that Paris is an acquired taste, but I throw down a challenge to anyone who thinks all Hip hop is the same...Give Paris a chance!

Sony BDP-A6000
Sony BDP-A6000

5.0 out of 5 stars A sensible choice if direct bitstream audio(DTS-MA/Dolby-THD) and simple operation are what you're looking for., 27 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Sony BDP-A6000 (Electronics)
**Make sure you connect both HDMI cables if you want the "full experience"**

I bought this SONY model after originally considering the Panasonic BDT-5000, I care more about audio options than video predominantly, but it's always nice to have a really crisp & clear image to go with killer sound. In bizarre circumstances, my previous model BDT-210 stopped playing surround formats, everything was output to Stereo PCM no matter what connection I used (HDMI/Opt/Coax). Oddly this was immediately following a firmware upgrade, so not sure if the changing standard for HDMI has resulted in this situation...

Anyway, it was time for an upgrade as old one at the 3 year mark, this market changes so rapidly. For example having 2 HDMI outputs is now the norm, when it first came along the point was to be able to do everything with a single cable!

Having been put off by the lukewarm BDP-S720, 4K upscaling of no significance to me, I did not expect to be contemplating a SONY model. However; my other components are SONY which enables universal remote controls at least. So what about the player?

SONY BDP-A6000

Picture = Superb quality, as you would expect from the brand. Although not innovating a great deal themselves, SONY sure know how to design a simple, intuitive player, with tremendous attention to detail. No artifaction or noticeable grain, even during the darkest scenes of LOTR-FOTR in the Mines of Moria. DVD upscaling is also very impressive. In all honesty I could not tell that much of a difference from my previous model...except the SONY isn't bogged down with video "options" which I never use anyway. I don't have a 3DTV so I'm afraid I can't comment on that, but I'm sure it's fine.

Audio = First rate and very "SONY" for those who know what I mean. Crisp, clear, wide dynamic range, well structured sound-staging with real Ooomph during the action scenes where audio levels are raised for dynamic effect, the player drags the sound out of the mix and whips it into a crescendo from nowhere, really good depth of field and dynamic range. There are no equaliser settings via the player, but I never use them, I can alter the settings via the amp if I choose, I prefer sound to be direct. In that respect don't let the marketing blurb fool you, the whole concept of "advanced sound circuitry" that Panny are so fond of trying on, is actually just streamed "as-is" from the disc and passed to the amp for processing, the amp does the work. Unless you plan on connecting the "old school L/R audio cable" the player doesn't even use the "high quality circuitry", so it's mainly a legacy support thing. **Remember to leave the unit "warm up" for 24 hours before you make your mind up about it, it makes all the difference**

Features = Network media streamer is basically the same as afforded on the PS3, no support for ISO format (no surprise TBH), but it does play MKV/AVI/MP4(M4V) as long as they have a standard profile, anything too far from the middle and you takes your chance, I give it 50/50. Generally SONY have always been very good in this regard, their machines will play more formats than most (DivX ultra, etc). Supports SACD & DVD-Audio unlike others at this price point. You can customise a couple of video filters if you prefer warmer/cooler picture, standard subtitle and alternative audio track options. Connectivity is good, with Optical/Coax/Audio(Cinch)/Video-Y/HDMI X2. As I stated earlier, make sure you connect both HDMI outputs and enable A/V separation in the "System settings" menu, video via HDMI1 to TV, audio via HDMI2 to surround amp. It means having to switch input options on the TV & Amp, but there doesn't seem to be much choice in this, if I have it set any other way I have the same PCM problem I had on the BDT-210, everything stereo!

Build quality = Very solid and hefty feel, totally different story to one I lifted out to replace, feels almost twice the weight and therefore twice the quality. Ergonomics are traditional, none of the "stealth bomber" or elliptical nonsense thank god. Give me a boring rectangular black box any day, at least I know it'll look good on the TV stand! The unit seems to be struggling to find it's niche in an already crowded market, I mean you can get something that'll do the job almost the same for £99. The question is: Are you willing to invest that little bit more to get the kind of quality offered? In my case the answer is yes...I would hate to have spent the next 3 years thinking "I wonder what the more expensive model would've sounded like?"

In all honesty I feel SONY are stretching it a bit on price, IMHO it should retail for £200 with the MR option at £220. With so many other capable players competing for the "budget" title, they need to create a level for this model that is entirely it's own.

Hope this review helps, drop me a line with specific questions, I'll do my best to answer them.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 29, 2014 1:46 AM BST

Panasonic  KX-TG8061EB Single Colour DECT Phone with Answer Machine
Panasonic KX-TG8061EB Single Colour DECT Phone with Answer Machine
Offered by liGo

5.0 out of 5 stars Updated version of the KX-TG6421ES, 23 Nov. 2013
I have owned the Panasonic KX-TG6421ES model telephone for at least 5 years. In all that time it has never let me down. I had to change the rechargeable batteries in it after 3 years (pretty standard TBH), Energiser 850mAh NiMh did the job no dramas.

The only thing that has suffered is the responsiveness of the buttons. It has become almost impossible to press the "Phonebook" & "Menu" buttons, due to wear and tear. The time came to replace the trusty workhorse. Firstly I ordered the Panasonic KX-TG6821EB Single DECT Cordless Telephone with Answer Machine which was a humongous mistake! If you want the details go check out my review of that model, but in a nutshell it was so much worse than the model it replaced which was both disappointing and surprising. Muffled sound in earpiece and range was not as far as the other.

I returned that model and instead ordered this one (£4.04 more), for the difference you get a colour screen (not monochrome) and 15 minutes less digital answerphone recording time (other was 30 minutes). This did not bother me as nobody ever leaves an audiobook of a message anyway. Regarding sound quality...WOW back to the old standard of the KX-TG6421ES, voices are clear and easy to comprehend. It comes with loads of features, such as ringer "groups"; set your phonebook so that family and friends get ringtone1, work gets ringtone2, etc, etc (9 altogether). Makes it easier to tell who's calling even without caller I.D as an extra (paid for, this is BT!) service. Night mode is brilliant, after 11PM the phone&base will not ring out loud, but only flash when calls come in (you can setup exceptions for elderly relatives/kids/others in case of emergencies which do still ring out loud). Fantastic if you have friends who insist on calling, when they are drunk and choose 2AM to "Chat"!

The rest of the features are fairly standard and feature on most phones at this price-point. Key points here are features, build quality, sound quality and a great range, which even whilst using ECOMode are still more than satisfactory.

If you are torn between the two (like I was when researching), do yourself a favour and avoid the KX-TG6821EB completely and get this...You won't be disappointed.

Panasonic KX-TG6821EB Single DECT Cordless Telephone with Answer Machine
Panasonic KX-TG6821EB Single DECT Cordless Telephone with Answer Machine
Offered by total digital stores

4.0 out of 5 stars Bizarrely;not as good as it's predecessor!, 13 Nov. 2013
I bought this unit to replace my old Panasonic equivalent, which was still going strong, but after 5 years of faithful service the buttons are very difficult to use, due to wear and tear.

First impressions are that the build quality is ever-so-slightly inferior to the old model. The old one stood up on it's own, the new one is "modelled like a pebble, with curved round edges", I guess in an effort to make electronic devices less dated and angular, which I guess is no bad thing. It's just annoying that it won't stand up, lying down on it's back the speaker outlet is covered and therefore the ringer is muffled significantly. The display, buttons, and base are practically identical. The base is slightly smaller and lighter, with a stand protruding from the rear of the unit. The usual answerphone controls are present, along with a message counter (something the old one didn't have), showing clearly that you have new messages, the old one flashed to show a message, but unless you delete all messages straight away, there was no way of knowing how many were new/were on there already.

Generally no real concerns about build, the important thing is the audio aspects surely? Well, I'm afraid to say that like many others I feel the sound quality is inferior to the old unit. Voices sound muffled and background noise is amplified far more (like TV's or radios), there is a "Noise Reduction" button, but it doesn't work very well to be honest, just makes the voice on the other end quieter. I have tried turning the speaker volume up to the maximum but that doesn't do a great deal. As far as I can tell, Panasonic have done this in an effort to reduce power consumption. The old unit worked at crazy distances from the base unit, but chewed through the battery life as a result. You were lucky to get 3 days out of it with general use, if you forgot to replace in the cradle. As a direct comparison I have left this unit in the living room for 5 days, using a normal amount of around 2 hours or so a day, it's still going strong with 40% battery life left. I have enabled "Low power mode" which reduces power by 90% apparently, I haven't noticed a huge drop in performance, but a couple of times when the wife has been standing directly in front of the base unit, there is a fair amount of interference and signal breakup.

It seems strange that Panasonic would change a perfectly good design, in favour of an inferior one, but I guess it's all about POWER these days! To be fair the phone works just fine, calls are pretty standard, but I have noticed that I do have to ask people to repeat themselves more often, especially when speaking to people with thick accents, as these tend to become more muffled than most. To summarise:

Positives = Battery life, Number of ringtones, Answerphone features (remote access/control), Clear display, Call barring (needs caller ID service to work)
Negatives = Slightly muffled sound, not free-standing anymore, highly sensitive microphone picks up EVERYTHING in the room.

Basically, if you have owned an older version of this model, like me; you may be disappointed. If purchasing this unit for the first time, I'm sure you won't notice these minor flaws, as it is a perfectly functional phone, well designed with an abundance of quality features.

RoboCop Trilogy [Blu-ray] [1987]
RoboCop Trilogy [Blu-ray] [1987]
Dvd ~ Peter Weller

5.0 out of 5 stars Great films given the proper "uplift", 11 Sept. 2013
You can't beat the first 2 films, proper classics that stand the test of time (well maybe not the stop motion animation). The picture transfer is great, but as with many other VHS intended 80's releases, the sections of animation and "Green screen" effects, do make them seem dated and a little tired and rough around the edges.

Of course this is the very reason that many people remember them so fondly (Like me), as you can't beat a slow leisurely stroll down memory lane for old times-sake. Extras are no more or less than you will find on the existing DVD release from years before, but the audio and video are an improvement.

If you are fellow fans of these classic movies...treat yourself!

F Plug Male to Coax Socket Female Adaptor x 5 by electrosmart®
F Plug Male to Coax Socket Female Adaptor x 5 by electrosmart®
Offered by electrosmart

5.0 out of 5 stars Fundamentally required purchase for most homes using Masthead amps, 11 Sept. 2013
If you are planning to install a masthead amp using your existing kit, make sure you purchase these connectors to turn your existing coax/RF connectors into the F-type connector required. Well manufactured and solid finish. Great price, quality product.

Transcend Information TS-PDC3 Combo PCI-e Interface Card 2 x USB 3.0 2 x  SATA III
Transcend Information TS-PDC3 Combo PCI-e Interface Card 2 x USB 3.0 2 x SATA III

4.0 out of 5 stars Allows for additional USB3/Sata ports if necessary...not suitable for all builds though!, 11 Sept. 2013
I bought this product to enable me to configure RAID 5 on my 3x3TB HDD's, but as it turns out can only accommodate RAID 0 or 1, which was disappointing and I wish someone had the foresight (like I am now doing) to write it in a review, so others will know!

I then decided to install it in my HP Proliant Microserver, as it only has 4 drive bays for traditional HDD's not SSD's. After installing my server went haywire and I couldn't boot it up at all, despite knowing my way around BIOS and making sure all the necessary settings were correct. In the end I had to relent and uninstall it in order to get my server to boot again.

All in all I am a little disappointed that the only real use I have for this now is to add 2 USB3 ports to one of my PC's. Regardless it does what it says on the tin, but is not 100% compatible with pre-built systems...custom builds should have no probs however.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for fixing "glitchy" freeview/Channel drop-outs/Poor reception, 11 Sept. 2013
I have rated this product 5 stars because it is a low cost, simple to install, practical solution to a common problem. Although I could receive freeview, along with most of the channels associated with it, the signal strength was not always good. Just after the announcement of 4G signal rolling out across the UK, I started to have real problems with freeview, namely channels "artifacting" (going all blocky) or losing the signal altogether. Channels like REALLY & DAVE were completely unwatchable; I set one to record and in an hour I had less than 5 minutes of watch-able footage. Before installing this unit my signal strength was 47(Max) and quality was 45(Max), after installing the strength was 80(Max) and quality 78(Max), so it almost doubled both aspects. This in turn has led to completely clearing up my "glitching" problem, plus as the unit has 2 outputs (something the description omits) I can connect both TV and PVR, getting fantastic reception on both.

One important thing to remember people is to be sure and alter the amount of gain on the "mast-head" unit, as out-of-the-box the gain was set to the max (25dB) which was obviously too much seeing as immediately after installation I could only get BBC channels, all others were lost, I then reduced it to the minimum (12dB) and that solved the problem. It took another couple of minutes tweaking to get it to settle down perfectly, but it is worth it as I no longer need to touch this control now it's configured I get the best available signal strength and quality. As I do not have access to the loft-space I had no choice but to install the power unit and mast-head amplifier unit "in-line" immediately after the aerial socket in the living room wall. Although not ideal, it quite obviously is enough to get the job done, although I cannot state categorically that this implementation would work for everyone.

Overall-easy to setup, low cost...the only thing is what someone else has already mentioned...if you (like me) want to make use of your existing RF/Coax connectors. you will need to purchase at least 5 (for dual output) female coax to male F connector:

B003894IVM

These are not expensive and complete the package nicely. You will also need 2 additional patch cables linking wall socket to amp-amp to power unit...so don't do what I did and forget them if you want it running on the day you get the unit!

Page: 1 | 2