Profile for luke perry > Reviews

Battle of the April Storm
Battle of the April Storm
by Larry Forrester

5.0 out of 5 stars HMS Glowworm, 20 July 2013
Bought a copy for 0.01p but what an absolute gem! Describes the encounter between the destroyer HMS Glowworm and the German cruiser Admiral Hipper in 1940 in which my great uncle, John Rupert "Jack" Bufton died. A gripping minute by minute account, describing heroism, strength against adversity and a very real respect shown by the enemy commander and crew, this book helped our family find some truth and meaning to our relative's loss. The storyline for a film sadly never made is just as good as books written by some better known naval authors...Hollywood should take notice, but I wonder if they would really be able to capture this story in the way it was written?

Chojun
Chojun
by Goran Powell
Price: 8.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Chojun, 28 Dec 2012
This review is from: Chojun (Paperback)
I had been eagerly awaiting publication of this book, it seems such a long time ago since I first heard it was being written. Well, it was worth the wait!!! Gripping from the beginning, I really did not want to put it down. Goran Powell is such a gifted author who really captures the imagination. His vivid descriptions make it easy to visualise all the events unfolding: I could almost feel the intense testing of Sanchin, hear the pounding of the Makiwara and sense the fear during the battle of Okinawa. Compared to other books I have read on the life of Chojun Miyagi, this is by far the best and develops his character in a way that can be related to, I am so glad to have bought and read it. My only regret was that I finished it all too soon, but I am sure that I will return to it again and again, just like I did with "A Sudden Dawn" and "Waking Dragons". Strongly recommended. Well done Goran, I look forward to your next book!

Respecting the Old, Creating the New
Respecting the Old, Creating the New
by Chris Denwood
Price: 11.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Respecting the Old, Creating the New, 18 Jun 2011
Immensely readable, hugely impressive! The wealth and depth of information presented in this book is mindblowing. An essential addition to my bunkai library and one that I will return to time after time without any doubt. This is an excellent companion to the DVD Acorns to Oak Trees. I really enjoyed trying out the applications and exploring the principles described. After reading this book from cover to cover, I immediately started it again! Highly recommended and, I think, seriously underpriced based on the quality of content!Acorns to Oak Trees: Essential Guidelines for Pragmatic Kata Bunkai