Profile for MR L DAVIS > Reviews

Passing the Award in Education and Training
Passing the Award in Education and Training
by Andrea McMahon

5.0 out of 5 stars So Useful!, 22 Sep 2014
This book was so useful in helping me to pass my PTTL course. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking to help them through their course.

The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike Book 2)
The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice return for Galbraith and Strike, 11 Aug 2014
This was a good read. As with all of Rowlings work they can be a little long or drawn out but as I was on my holidays I had plenty of time. I couldn't help but think that there was something in the book answering critics or trying to prove herself as a writer after such success with children's literature (don't get me wrong they were excellent). Rowling often uses long complex sentences or unusual words unnecessarily, without sounding stupid I just think that sometimes its a bit unneeded as it adds little to the book. Perhaps it was to do with the fact that the book was about authors meant it was required to be written in that way so perhaps I'm being a little harsh but I couldn't help but think it was Rowling flexing her literary muscles to her critics.

It was good to see the return of Cormoron Strike and I'm looking forward to a third outing. I'm a fan of Rowling's work under the Robert Galbraith title. It's not the greatest crime fiction on the market but its still worth a read. I bagged it for £1.99 on the kindle so thought it was great value for money.

The Wolf of Wall Street
The Wolf of Wall Street

4.0 out of 5 stars If you liked the film its worth a read, 11 Aug 2014
I enjoyed this as a read after watching the film when it came out a few months ago. If you enjoyed the film you'll enjoy this. It was interesting to see where hollywood had altered the narrative for screen.

The Safe Word (The Eleanor Raven Series Book 1)
The Safe Word (The Eleanor Raven Series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but wont leave the colour draining from your face, 11 Aug 2014
I liked this book. A good story and likeable characters. Good pace to the story and it was a solid ending. The one thing that really really bugged me about this book is the amount of times that the author wrote "the colour drained" from a characters face. It must have happened 10 times in the book. There are other ways to describe someone as being shocked. No idea why but it really bugged me when I started noticing it.

Into the Darkest Corner
Into the Darkest Corner

5.0 out of 5 stars Very very good. Unique style., 11 Aug 2014
This was a really good read. This was recommended to me at work and I thought i'd give it a read on my holidays. It's a superb read and I loved the unique style that it was written in. A gripping story and solid plot. I really liked the contrasting stories and how they interlinked. I would highly recommend this.

CM1302 First2savvv black Charging & SYNC Cradle dock docking station for iPhone 5 5S/5C
Offered by first2savvv

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, doesn't come with a plug - Probably my fault for assuming, 7 April 2014
The dock does its job. I foolishly assumed that it would come with the wire that connects to the wall or pc. It doesn't. I probably didn't read the description well enough. I went on Ebay and bought 3 reinforced wires for £1.49 which I probably should have just done in the first place.

Presidential Scandals
Presidential Scandals
by Jeffrey D. Schultz

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for my dissertation, 14 Jan 2014
This review is from: Presidential Scandals (Hardcover)
This book was a godsend during my time at university. It provides a fantastic base on all of the scandals throughout the history of the Presidency. Not just Lewinsky, Watergate or Iran Contra.

Killing With Confidence
Killing With Confidence

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice story, weak in places, 14 Jan 2014
Overall I liked the story. It was decent value for money and I liked most of the characters. The finale of the book was pretty strong and I enjoyed reading it. It would probably have gotten 5 stars but I couldn't really buy into on of the lead characters. The story wasn't made much stronger by her being "batty" and would have been probably more enjoyable if she'd been really able and switched on as a character. I found her a bit annoying and distracting from the plot.

Overall though it was a good read, good value and passed the time nicely on my commute to work.

The Long Midnight Of Barney Thomson
The Long Midnight Of Barney Thomson

1.0 out of 5 stars Unrealistic plot that became more unbelievable throughout before a ridiculously silly ending, 8 Oct 2013
I hate to be critical of someone's work. But this is a truly awful book. It's got a fairly far fetched plot to start with but I was happy to go along with it to see what happened on my daily morning commute, after all I hadn't paid much for it. It wasn't particularly well written and the author has a habit of starting sentences in a strange way, trying to make it read in a scottish accent. It doesn't work.

Also, for some reason the perspective of the narrative changes regularly, without warning. As a paragraph ends all of a sudden the new paragraph starts and the narrative is coming from a new character. Perhaps it's a problem with the kindle edition but a simple page break or new chapter would have made it so much clearer.

The ending of this book is ridiculously unrealistic, silly, unbelievable and just down right daft. That said, it just topped off a really unusual plot that probably could have been better.

"Whoops I just killed someone again by accident"

I won't be reading the second book.

The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike)
The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike)

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed it when I was a little sceptical, 12 Aug 2013
I wasn't sure if I was going to like JK Rowling's work outside of the Harry Potter Series. It's a huge leap into crime writing and I was pleasantly surprised. The story was interesting and the characters likable and the narrative flowed nicely. If I had one complaint it would be that the book was a little long and could probably have been edited down a little.

All in all it was a good read whilst I was on holiday.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3