Profile for Alan Pearson > Reviews

Content by Alan Pearson

Alan Pearson "Book worm" (Plymouth, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
German Air Forces 1914-18 (Elite)
German Air Forces 1914-18 (Elite)
by Ian Sumner

4.0 out of 5 stars German Air Forces 1914 - 1918, 18 Dec 2012
I bought this book to complement the Osprey aircraft of the aces books. It covers training and selection of pilots as well as the aircraft they used.
It is not an in depth history of the German Air Service, it is far too small for that but it does give plenty of information about the subject and does not concentrate on fighter pilots only, there are interesting accounts of photo recce and ground attack missions. Very good colour plates of uniforms and equipment and a fine selection of photographs.

Pfalz Scout Aces of World War 1 (Aircraft of the Aces)
Pfalz Scout Aces of World War 1 (Aircraft of the Aces)
by Greg VanWyngarden

3.0 out of 5 stars Pfalz Scout Aces of World War 1, 18 Dec 2012
I gave this book stars because, although I was keen to buy and had read reviews, the actual material was a little disappointing. This should not reflect on the author, Mr Wyngarden is rightly famous for the quality of his research, but more for the fact that the Pfalz series of aircraft didn't achieve much. Despite it's racy and robust appearance the Pfalz was no better than the Albatross III and DV aircraft also in use. Mr Wyngarden points out that there is little evidence that any pilots achieved acedom in this aircraft even though many fighter pilots scored whilst using it.
The book follows the normal format for the Osprey series with a technical description covering development and service life along with units using the type and their aces. As usual there are excellent colour illustrations that will be most useful for modellers and artists as well as some very good photographs. Whilst this is not the most popular book in the series I'm glad I bought it to add to my collection and would recommend it for the same reason for other enthusiasts.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars SSC P7 CREE XM-L 1200 LUMEN LIGHT, 11 Dec 2012
I bought this item after a colleague at work mentioned them, he bought them from the manufacturer and had to wait 4 weeks. On Amazon it was both cheaper and delivered the next day. You receive a lamp, separate battery, charger and head harness. The lamp is attached to the bike or head harness with rubber rings, 2 different sizes are provided. I charged the battery fully, took a couple of hours, then tried it out. The power of the lamp is amazing, it has 3 settings: full on (1200 lumen), reduced light (still very good) and flashing. I haven't used it for long on my bike so I cannot speak for battery life but I was so impressed with it that I ordered another for a relative.
Even after just two days I would recommend this to anyone who needs to see and be seen when cycling.

Supergets® Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 I8160 Polka Dot Top Flip Case Covers, Screen Protector, High Capacitive Touch Screen Stylus And Polishing Cloth Hot Pink

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice girly case, 28 Oct 2012
I bought this for my wife's new telephone, arrived very quickly and protects her mobile. Easy to fit and no problems accessing buttons. Worth buying!

Hitler's Home Guard: Volkssturmmann: Western Front, 1944-45 (Warrior): Richthofen's Mentor (Aviation Elite Units)
by Greg VanWyngarden

4.0 out of 5 stars Jasta Boelke, 19 Sep 2012
Excellent book with a good selection of photographs. This book follows the normal format with biographies, stories of combats and a great deal of information about the combatants and their equipment. There is a good colour section of all aircraft used by Jasta Boelke with the normal variety of interesting colour schemes and types. The most striking thing about all of these books is the similarity between aircrew of all nations involved in this conflict. A well researched volume worth the price for any enthusiast of WWI aerial combat.

Faber Castell TK - System A4 Drawing Board
Faber Castell TK - System A4 Drawing Board

5.0 out of 5 stars Faber Castell A4 Drawing Board, 17 April 2012
I bought this item because I travel across the world as well as working in the UK. Larger drawing boards are impractical when flying but also prone to damage when working in the UK. After looking on the internet for an A4 board I came upon this item. It is small and robust, fits in my computer bag and has so far been invaluable. It is ideal for updating drawings, crane lift documentation and general use when away from home.
I ordered this board and it was delivered within 3 working days.
Recommended for anyone who needs a small, portable board.

Together: The Complete Studio Recordings
Together: The Complete Studio Recordings

5.0 out of 5 stars Baker/Desmond Together, 3 Feb 2012
I normally listen to Chet Baker when working, relaxing music that doesn't require your attention. When I saw Baker/Desmond Together I ordered this immediately, the CD arrived the next day. There are a number of very nice tracks on this disc, the first track entitled "you can't go home again" appears to be based on the opening bars of Rachmaninov's 2nd, typical mellow Baker trumpet with the usual thoughtful Desmond contribution. This sets the tone for the disc. Other nice renditions are "Getting Sentimental over You", beautiful chorus from Baker followed by "Tangerine". I once read that Chet Baker didn't read music and played entirely by ear, if this is so he was indeed a genius. I've read other reviews of this disc that are less than complimentary about Baker's vocal on "How Deep is the Ocean", I have to agree, he croaks out the lyrics and will disappoint those who buy his music for his wistful singing. There is also a recording of Rodriguez' "Concerto de Aranjuez" arranged by Jim Hall, the longest track on the disc, I wondered what Baker could possibly have to offer on this piece of music. Baker's short solos on this track are another sign that Baker had a certain genius.
Paul Desmond's slow and technically perfect alto make this disc worth buying for this alone, in fact I liked it so much that I also bought his "Feeling Blue" at the same time after listening to some sample tracks.
Worth buying if you like this type of jazz but I would also recommend either of these albums as background music for dinner parties.

What It's All About
What It's All About

5.0 out of 5 stars Roy Eldridge - What's it all about, 4 Jan 2012
This review is from: What It's All About (Audio CD)
I've always liked Roy Eldridge, the first non traditional jazz cassette I bought was his and Oscar Peterson's duet disc, hot stuff and I still listen to it on CD. What's it all about is small group mainstream jazz with some very good sidemen. On two tracks Milt Jackson sits in on the vibraphone. The music bears all the trademark Roy Eldridge styles, high and hot with some beautiful muted trumpet playing, no vocals on this disc. Sidemen contribte a great deal but Roy is the main man. Recommended for anyone who likes mainstream jazz and loves hot trumpet playing.

From Recruit to Staff Sergeant
From Recruit to Staff Sergeant
by N. W. Bancroft

5.0 out of 5 stars From Recruit to Staff Sergeant, 13 Aug 2011
I've owned this book for years and have just ordered a copy for an acquaintance with an interest in military history. Nathaniel Bancroft was born in India,the son of a soldier. His earliest ambition was to join the army of the Honourable East India Company, the private business organisation that ran India until after the great mutiny of 1857. The army of the HEIC was made up of predominantly native Indian soldiers with a portion of Europeans. Bancroft eventually joined the Bengal European Horse Artillery and served a full career. Bancroft saw much service and was wounded during the Sikh Wars (his brother was killed whilst serving in the same unit). A ripping yarn, particularly impressive is his depiction of the Irish accent of his comrades who made up the majority of his unit and certainly ruled the roost, anyone serving with Irish soldiers in the British Army will recognise the types. Bancroft was teetotal and makes some interesting comments about the effects of alcohol, especially the early morning rum issue.A highly entertaining and informative read, definitely worth buying

Polar RS100 Heart Rate Monitor
Polar RS100 Heart Rate Monitor

4.0 out of 5 stars Polar RS100 Heart Rate monitor, 25 Sep 2010
I bought this item after some online research, I had to replace my previous monitor (also a polar) after it was stolen during a security search. The new monitor was actually cheaper than the original, once purchased it arrived within 2 days, most impressive. The watch part is not too large and can be worn comfortably. The set up is straight forward, date of birth and weight being the two pieces of data required. The chest band is similar to my previous model except that the transmitter attaches to the chest strap with poppers and is a little on the large size although once fitted and on your chest it is not noticeable. The item is simple to use, press once and it shows your heart rate, a second press when you begin your exercise begins to record your heart rate and length of exercise time, there is also an upper part that can show either the lap you are on, the current calorie count or the time. Once the exercise is complete it reads out length of exercise, average heart rate and calories consumed with the percentage from fat. When you enter your data the instrument beeps when you are below and above your recommended heart rate, I switched that function off, it was annoying me.
The RS100 gives a more accurate read out of calorie consumption than most machines in the gym although the heart rate monitor did show my heart rate at 220bpm when I was cycling up a particularly steep hill (surely some mistake, I'm 55)
Overall a useful tool that can be worn unselfconsciously and does the job well, I would recommend this to anyone who likes to know what sort of effort they are making and what benefit they are receiving from their exercise.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 6, 2011 11:16 AM GMT