Profile for Emmsy > Reviews

Beats Rhymes & Life: The Travels of a Tribe Called Quest [DVD]
Beats Rhymes & Life: The Travels of a Tribe Called Quest [DVD]
Dvd ~ Phife Dawg

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal For Any Tribe Fan, 28 May 2014
It is always going to be hard to condense a 20 year career into 1hr & 30mins of film but I thought they did a good job while still feeling that there is so much more to the story of the breakdown of the group.

I thought each member was extremely honest (especially Phife!) and you could feel the raw emotion.

Thirteen Reasons Why
Thirteen Reasons Why
by Jay Asher

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 28 May 2014
This review is from: Thirteen Reasons Why (Paperback)
I always know I've read a great book when the story and character stay with me days/weeks after I've finished reading it & 13 Reasons Why definitely did that. I thought the writer was very skilled in showing how what seems inconsequential to one person can have a huge impact on someone else's life.

I loved the story format of seeing Clay's reaction entwined with the reader learning what was on the tapes at the same time instead of flipping between the dual PoV chapter by chapter.

We Were Liars
We Were Liars
by E. Lockhart

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, 28 May 2014
This review is from: We Were Liars (Paperback)
I devoured this book in one day. The characters, while not necessarily likeable, are layered, conflicted and insightful. Giving the book's narrator amnesia is a great tool to keep the reader guessing as to what happened 2 summers ago and allows the reader to discover the mystery at the same time as Cadence.

I'd definitely recommend this book to any YA book lover!

Your Guardian Angel (The Guardian Angel Series Book 1)
Your Guardian Angel (The Guardian Angel Series Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars I was bored, 7 Nov. 2013
I just felt that this type of story had been told many times before in a many better ways. I wasn't too keen on the MC character either. Things always seemed to happen TO her where she needed saving instead of her actions moving the plot along.

I found the prose very repetitive as well. I only managed to read about 80% of the book so it may have had a brilliant ending but I just didn't care to find out.

The Shock of the Fall
The Shock of the Fall

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommend, 7 Nov. 2013
I bought this book because I loved the premise of it. This is a story told from the 1st person POV of a teenager suffering from Schizophrenia.

It is brilliantly told with warmth and humour with the main character looking back from when he was a child and how his illness impacted on his parents, brother, grandparents and friends as well as how their actions affected him.

Sewing Tape Measure 60" 150cm Dressmaking Taylor Tailor
Sewing Tape Measure 60" 150cm Dressmaking Taylor Tailor
Offered by POVOS BRAND

5.0 out of 5 stars Does its job, 7 Nov. 2013
Not too much you can say about a measuring tape.... it does its job and has measurements in centimetres and inches.

Sex and the City: The Essential Collection [DVD]
Sex and the City: The Essential Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sex and the City
Offered by LoLJack Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Who doesn't love Carrie?, 7 Nov. 2013
this is series is brilliant and something I watch over and over again. The episodes are only 20 minutes long so can watch a few in a row.

This DVD set is beautifully presented and will make a great gift.

Linens Limited Polycotton Hollowfibre Non-Allergenic Pillows, 4 Pack
Linens Limited Polycotton Hollowfibre Non-Allergenic Pillows, 4 Pack
Offered by Linens Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 7 Nov. 2013
these are great, they are very thick and spring back into shape after lieing on them. For a 4 pack of pillows I thought these were excellent value.

Polycotton Polyester Hollowfibre Duvet, 13.5 Tog, Double
Polycotton Polyester Hollowfibre Duvet, 13.5 Tog, Double
Offered by Linens Limited

3.0 out of 5 stars Adequate, 7 Nov. 2013
The duvet wasn't expensive and seems decent quality. It didn't seem as thick as I was expecting but this may just be me thinking 13 togs were a lot heavier.

Letters of Note: Correspondence Deserving of a Wider Audience
Letters of Note: Correspondence Deserving of a Wider Audience
by Shaun Usher

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect present, 7 Nov. 2013
I have been a fan of the site for a while and was delighted when the book was released. I bought it as a present for my mum and she loves it. The letters are beautiful & varied, and well presented in the book with a picture of each of the original letters as well as a transcription as some are hard to read!

I think I am going to buy one for myself!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3