Profile for Ian Grace > Reviews

A Mountain in the Wind: An Exploration of the Spirituality of John Denver
A Mountain in the Wind: An Exploration of the Spirituality of John Denver
by Christine Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Genuine Wow Factor!!, 17 Nov 2004
It needs to be stated at the outset of this review I was expecting some American hashed up botch of a book, tainting the memory of what Denvers' music has meant to me at crucial times on my life to date. I wasn't only pleasantly surprised, I was completely overwhelemed, I hardly put this book down, it was as if I was experiencing something special with an old friend.
This book had a profound effect on me, it is so sensitively and beautifully written. I think it is a must-read for everybody, but that is a personal opinion. It is so intimiate, so filled with love, care, joy, the wonder of-it-all, inspiring the reader to be all that they can be, not just what we are (LOL!) Those songs I have sang joyfully for years took on a whole new meaning with an insight into what was behind the lyrics.
I took the liberty of contacting the Author since the book - at times - tended to read like Denver was being elevated to the plance of demi-God. The constant repitions of 'John' at times could have almost have been substituted for 'Jesus.' Ms Moon wrote back justfying her stance and noting my comments. We appear to share the deepest appreciation of a simple man who gave us the magical gift of his music in his life, but far too often we were reminded that Denver was a human being, and made mistakes like we all do in life.
Take the plunge! An truly excellent and enjoyable book, which serves to remind us that as half the world are blowing themselves to bits, out planet is raped of its resources by wanton greed and selfishness inherent in us all, and decisions our made my politicians completely out of touch with human wants and needs, there is a beauty out there that is within us all, it is our job to find it and use it in our lives and for the good of others. And yes, I have started recycling! Five Bin Liners of rubbish a week has been brought down to two, and I do try to pick up litter when I see it. Let's all do our bit!!
Well done Christine Moon!!

Halo 2
Halo 2
Offered by multimedia-online
Price: 27.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A must buy this Christmas - a no-brainer!!!, 15 Nov 2004
This review is from: Halo 2 (Video Game)
Utterly superb sound and graphics, engrossing gameplay, wondrous talent put in by the Bungie team. I have only played the single-player Campaign to date, but is is superb - there are a couple of minor irrelevant glitches, but these can be overlooked when offset against the enormity, the magnitude of such a groundbreaking title.
There seems little point reviewing an FPS title if you don't like the Firrst Person Shooter (FPS) genre;
'Did you enjoy yourself fishing today?'
'No.'
'Why not?'
'I don't like fishing.'
If you do like FPS, this game will simply delight and mesmerize millions of adult-children - the cuts between objectives are worthy of a Hollywood Blockbuster and the variety of accompanying atmospheric sound tracks and effects will show off the qualities of even a reasonable 5.1 system.
Halo 2 and Burnout 3 Takedown for me are truly revolutionary advances in console gaming, and I am a highly critical person. I am simply staggered by the quality of these titles, and I have a fair deal of experience to base that comment on; from the early Ingersoll console, Commodore 64, Nintendos', loads of PC's and so forth. The Artificial Intelligence of your opponents further enhances enjoyment of the game, I shudder to think how good will things get in the future.
If you expect Halo 2 to give you the winning lottery numbers it won't, but this is as good as it gets currently, namely very good indeed - or simply excellent. I feel we are spoilt for choice these days, Halo 2 is superb and pound for pound there is nothing that even comes close in my opinion. Even if I did not like the FPS genre I feel that I would appreciate the work that has gone into this gaming masterpiece.

Shrek Super Party (Xbox)
Shrek Super Party (Xbox)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Fun for a young family/group of friends, 21 Aug 2004
I am writing this review in response to another reviewer making unfair and perhaps misleading comments, unless he is writing it from the perspective of a gamer playing it in his room on his own. This game is about fun, playability, super graphics and decent sound - my four year old daughter loves it, she plays the game with my eldest daughter (9), myself and recently my wife has got involved for the first time ever!!! The kids next door can't get enough of this game either - from 2 to 4 players it excels, I haven't played it on my own to check how enjoyable it is - the kids grab controllers as soon as the XBOX is fired up!!
Controls are very basic, the joystick used on its' own or in conjunction with the green, or red and green buttons. I have all the macho XBOX titles, but this has been played far more than any of them - unlike Nickelodeon, Super Shrek Party is an excelent multiplayer game in its own right, the characters merely serve to make a good game even better. Do not discount this title if you like to enjoy gaming with others. Highly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Update on my previous review., 16 July 2003
Well, I returned it and to be honest I was disappointed - not a patch on a conventional blade and poor performance for an electric shaver - sorry Braun, maybe mine wasn't working properly judging by the other reviewers comments, but I am pretty sure it was doing it's best to dislodge the stubble in my face but just couldn't do it.

Days Of Speed
Days Of Speed
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 4.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Are the other reviewers listening to the same album?, 16 July 2003
This review is from: Days Of Speed (Audio CD)
Are you sure you're listening to Days of Speed? Maybe it's personal, but this album ranks among my all time favourites - simply superb mastery of the guitar, wonderful to listen to, atmospheric, enjoyable and entertaining.

2.0 out of 5 stars The Update, 5 July 2003
Well, I wrote the above review and after the thing ran out of charge didn't bother to recharge it for two weeks - a business trip was the ideal reason to recharge it but when using it again came to realise I shouldn't have bothered - it's no better or no worse than a basic two head shaver to be honest, but if you want to use it in the shower and then shave with a blade once you get out, it's a must!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not too sure, watch this space, 10 Jun 2003
If you think you can fall out of bed, into the shower and shave with this thing while washing all your bits, then think again! It is hard work to get a decent shave, I don't think it is better than any other conventional two-head shaver i have ever had at the moment, in fact you end up finishing off with a blade to get a good result. The benefit of the convenience of an electric shaver is offset by a mediocre shave, especially under your chin around the throat area - at age 31 my facial hair is fairly low to average on a daily basis. After the first few attempts my Boss asked if I had forgotten to shave!?!?!? Watch this space, I'll give it another few weeks then maybe I'll take advantage of the 60-day money back guarantee which is good of Braun to offer - if it doesn't do what it says on the box and you're not completely satisfied, then you can return it. By offering that get-out alone (full marks to Braun), I think I'll give this thing another two to three weeks and then decide. Watch this space - nice idea, but wife can hardly smell the skin conditioner even on max application (and it is properly installed!). Maybe there is a problem with mine, I can't believe the result is so mediocre.

Enclave
Enclave
Offered by multimedia-online
Price: 16.92

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite good, but nothing you haven't seen before really, 29 July 2002
This review is from: Enclave (Video Game)
Same old yarn (good against evil, deserted city etc) but nice graphics to boot - atmospheric sound effects add to the appeal but beware, you can waste hours on this game. Not because it is so gripping but because there are frustrating gripes; even after successfully completing 99% of a level if you fail - you guessed it - you go right back to the beginning. This may add to the time taken to complete the game but it can be frustrating after doing everything for the umpteenth time (at 15 mins a go!). I was taken in by the spiel, about the fascinating graphics and so on, but it is a mark of our times that I can give this game only three out of five stars. A few years ago we would have welcomed it with a five star offering but good graphics do not necessarily make a good game.
If you like sitting down and having a good thrash at whatever game is on your system, then this is not the game for you - it takes hours of painstaking work and I'm not sure the end result is worth it to be brutally honest. Good if you like the FPS thing, but it's all a little bit samey and you end up wondering which platform, and which game you are playing at times.
Nice to look at though in places.

Fuzion Frenzy
Fuzion Frenzy

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a blast, just as games should be, 18 July 2002
This review is from: Fuzion Frenzy (Video Game)
It's always difficult considering buying a game when one reviewer gives it 5 out of 5 and another just a single mark. But alone sitting in front of the TV screen getting wound up and frustrated trying to master racing courses, adventure games or epic first person shoot 'em ups isn't the only way to spend time playing console games. Some titles need to be fun, simple and harmless, a welcome relief from the complexities of most modern games, appealing to all ages.
Fusion Frenzy sets out to be fun, fun, fun, and it delivers this with great graphics, amazing colours and effects and a pumping soundtrack. For multiplayer purposes, it is great - easy to pick up, to learn and to get involved in without having to master numerous buttons and skills. Simply it is shoot, jump, attack for most of the games and it is fast and furious fun. If you can't master a particular game, who cares, it will move on to the next one in a moment with entirely different skills required. It is not about mastering or completing a game, or even the winning, for some it is about competing and having bags of fun doing just that.
The focus is on enjoyment and fun and its' appeal to gamers of all ages - played with friends or family it is really good fun, and you don't hear that word much these days. HALO might have exceptional graphics and single-player gameplay, but this is the title everybody will want to have a go at as the night or day wears on.
Don't be put off by the reduced price, it just makes it an even more attractive proposition to buy - for me, it is superb, but if you want to master each game and spend hours in front of the TV mastering each particular skill, then it will get irritating, as every game does. Take the game for what it is though and spend countless hours with friends and family marvelling at the ridiculousness of it all, enjoying yourself rolling and bumping, jumping and running, attacking and shooting on some strikingly colourful environment who knows where!

Lost Songs 95-98
Lost Songs 95-98
Price: 7.89

5.0 out of 5 stars They're not just trying to cash in on WL, it's a real gem, 25 Aug 2001
This review is from: Lost Songs 95-98 (Audio CD)
With most other artists who show real promise, record companies try to cash in after early successes and release all the crap stuff, taking advantage of a growing fan base. After buying the brilliant White Ladder, before sampling the less notable album Sell Sell Sell, it was with a certain amount of trepidation that I bought Lost Songs. I needn't have worried. For me, Daid Gray has achieved the magic goal of creating an album which in total is greater than the sum of its' parts. It really is brilliant, so honest, in displaying his formidable talent. Forget the multiplayer or disc-changer, it loses a big chunk if you don't listen to the album in it's entirety. Take off your shoes, turn out the lights, turn on the stereo and take part in a real celebration of this guys talent. Lost Songs is a beautiful lullaby. David Gray for me is unashamedly a revelation in these days of contrived tunes and groups of toned bodies coming at you 24:7. His guitar cries, his piano softens, his music speaks. I think Gray has achieved something that he hasn't even set out to do. It is a real masterpiece I kid you not. (This album even outshines the outstanding Parachutes by Coldplay, and if you like that, you'll know exactly what I mean.) An album for kindred spirits. This album is one of the only honest things I've heard from anybody all year.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5