Profile for Ian Grace > Reviews

Content by Ian Grace

Ian Grace

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Duracell Rechargeable Accu CEF23P Mobile Traveller Battery Charger with USB Outlet, Car Adapter with 2 AA and 2 AAA Duracell rechargeable batteries

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't expect miracles, 15 Jan 2012
I expected more to be honest, maybe I should be happy with what I have got which is a 'get out of jail' card when you are in need! No point going into a lengthy review, you plug it in until the batteries are charged and the green lights come on, then use the USB output to charge up your chosen device - in my case iPhone 4. Varying degrees of success - it boosts my iPhone 4 usually by 20-21% before needing another charge. On one occasion, with the iPhone completely flat, I used the charger usb output before I went to bed and left it to boost the iPhone overnight -a test effectively. In the morning the phone showed 38% which is acceptable enough. Recommended anyway.

Belkin iPod / iPhone Sync & Charge cable, Black
Belkin iPod / iPhone Sync & Charge cable, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 1 Jan 2012
Excellent quality, robust and longer than the standard Apple Charger Cable. Positive locking into Apple Accessories. Highly recommended. I like them so much I bought three (keep losing them or leaving in hotels!)

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars No worries here, 27 Dec 2011
Some of the adaptors out there are extremely poor quality and do not work. Nothing more to add than this product has neither of those attributes, be reassured (though it is not genuine!)

Eye-Fi Pro X2 8GB Wireless SDHC Memory Card
Eye-Fi Pro X2 8GB Wireless SDHC Memory Card

4.0 out of 5 stars Was a little sceptical............ but.............., 24 Dec 2011
Opened the package and followed the simple instructions, nothing worked, would not install on a very late Macbook Pro with latest SW. My scepticism proved founded. Downloaded the latest software from the eye-fi website and got past the teething problems with installation. Then it was a case of working it all out for yourself I am sorry to say, as noted by another Reviewer. In the left-hand task bar at the top of the MAC screen I found another icon appeared by magic- aka Eye-Fi Center. This is the engine where everything happens.

Then a connection couldn't be established with my Network - NOT CONNECTED TO INTERNET - even though showing five bars reception quality, but persevered and once connected all seemed to fall into place. Have quickly set folders for download photos and videos, notifications if there is an interruption whilst uploading. All quite bland.

Took a few shots in quick succession on my EOS 60D and then.... and then.... top corner of my screen it showed the photos uploading. My gosh it all works....... just persevere.... ignore the manual which suggests (for a Mac user anyway) that you find the START FOLDER and click on the install file within it. Just go straight to [...] and download the latest software.......... just turned the camera back on and snapped a few more shots of my daughter and they uploaded in seconds (LARGE FINE JPEG) so not a totally inconsiderable file size.

One mark deducted because if I hadn't persevered when the simple steps failed - and other hiccups - I would have just sat there on Christmas Eve tearing my hair out. And I have hardly any left as it is. Quite an expensive card and not suitable for all uses, but rather than people poring over a 3" LCD at the pictures you are taking they can be viewed almost immediately on a computer screen - for me personally, I will be shooting hundreds of products and uploading the images to my website. Rather than making the task a two-part process - time-consuming enough as it is - another person can be reviewing and uploading the images simultaneously so works for me.

What a pity it didn't work as it should out of the box - come on Amazon, I want to give this product a 4.5 out of 5!!!! Just Magic!!!

Plantronics Discovery 975 /R Bluetooth Headset
Plantronics Discovery 975 /R Bluetooth Headset

4.0 out of 5 stars This must be faulty or defective! It was!, 25 Sep 2011
I read the other customer reviews prior to purchasing, and whereas I do not like to leave negative reviews it would be unfair to write anything other than my experiences today. I bought this advanced headset on the back of ownership of another Plantronics headset which goes with me everywhere 24/7 and is superb.
Pairing with this phone took a while, but the call quality was abysmal with an iPhone 4 running the latest sw. Whether to a fixed line or mobile the person on the other end of the line could not hear me, or the call kept breaking up. The headset would unpair when the phone was put in my back pocket (I am only average height, not a giraffe). I don't believe Plantronics would release such a defective product so will save my venom and bile - thanks to Amazon, straightforward to request a replacement and return what is hopefully a faulty product - I have just bought Siemens Gigaset SL78H phones to use with this headset and mobile simultaneously! This review will be updated when I get a replacement and if it is anything like the other headset I own, 5/5.

Update - Amazon's unrivalled returns service got me the replacement yesterday, plugged it in and all working as it should so bingo! the other one was defective after all - others have commented on the call quality dropping when paired simultaneously with another blutooth device and as soon as I get the Siemens phones will update again, so Jury still out but 4/5, looking to extend it one more more when it all works as it should!

A Stolen Life
A Stolen Life
by Jaycee Lee Dugard

4.0 out of 5 stars In her own words, 25 July 2011
This review is from: A Stolen Life (Hardcover)
The theme of human captivity has captivated me ever since picking up Brian Keenan's beautifully articulated account of his kidnapping in the Middle East. The triumph of Jaycee Dugard surviving her ordeal and being found alive fascinated me after it made worldwide news, so a book in her own words and terms and not sensationalised was welcomed. I read a few reviews on Amazon prior to purchase, with reviews ranging from the 1 out of 5 to 5 out of 5 and hope to steer some middle ground here.
My view is that if you are assessing this book on writing style, content, structure and 'entertainment value' then the score would be low - I bought the book for a holiday read, simply because I don't have time during my normal working life to spare time for such pursuits! I am not an especially fast reader but I finished the book in three hours. There are, as Jaycee makes clear in her intro, rambling accounts that switch between past and present, but the overall feeling one is left with is of an honest, yet undeveloped and unexplored account of her experience and of her relationships with the Abuser and his partner. Many know the names of these sick individuals who perpetrated evil things against this young girl, personally I will not dignify their existence with referring to them to by name or affording them any respect whatsoever. Therein lies the beauty of this book and why I would recommend others to read it, simply because it is an honest account from a woman growing stronger-by-the day, yet educated in the State system only to the age of eleven and then by TV and from her experiences with others. By no means a childlike account of her ordeal, Jaycee maybe only feels comfortable at this time for the main-part narrating and sharing those accounts with the Wider Public and there is little complex introspection as with the aforementioned Keenan book. Not that I demand there should be, I am grateful for Ms Dugard sharing what she can about her ordeal and feels able to, even as a broad-minded individual the brief accounts of the sexual abuse were too much for me. I have three daughters (four if you include my Dog) aged between seven and sixteen, as a child Jaycee had to endure unimaginable horrors at the hands of the Abuser. As it is when I reached the part of the book where her Mum was told she was alive - nearly twenty years after her disappearance - the emotion that I did not realise had been building up in me found a release and I choked back tears.
The theme itself of bring hounded and trapped by the mainly US Media following her release from captivity is an interesting one yet I feel that this book is her account on her terms and in her style and should be judged as such given her ordeal; I respect and appreciate that, and have reviewed accordingly.
As a footnote I am on holiday in La Garde Freinet, South of France, having worked in a property for the past year and being familiar with the house, the wonderful animals here and the glorious unspoilt surroundings. If you read the book this has relevance: as I drove away from the house yesterday with my family I noticed a Pine Cone on the drive, and then later one directly outside the front door. I have never paid any attention to them before or noticed how beautiful they are. Thanks Jaycee and hope you find happiness and a loving fulfilling relationship in the future.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 25, 2011 7:45 PM BST

Seasons Of My Soul
Seasons Of My Soul
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Divided Opinions, 13 Nov 2010
This review is from: Seasons Of My Soul (Audio CD)
I love this collection of songs, I have seen Rumer perform twice in Concert now and the album doesn't disappoint. For me, this album is about an artist expressing herself through her own songs, it is very intimate and coated spiritually. It might not suit everybody's taste to have an artist of unquestionable vocal ability lay her soul bare on an album, announcing her arrival on the wider music scene which such honesty and insight into the major influences on her life, exposing vulnerabilities. Whatismore, I actually enoy listening to it, lovely arrangements and not, for me, over-produced at all. Granted some of the lyrics seem quite simplistic but this is Rumer and I love her music. I would happily listen to Rumer sing about darning her socks or peeling a lentil. What a glorious, gorgeous voice - it comes out of this little Songbird seemingly without any effort at all and it does so in such a sickeningly relaxed and casual manner.
I love the Streisands, the Carpenters, the Carly Simons of this world, and in my opinion I enjoy Rumer's currently limited catalogue of music as much as I do anything else. The woman is in a whirlwind and her career will launch her into new areas of life and the commercial side of the music industry. Personally I want this raw, candid, uncomplicated sound of Rumer forever. I just don't want her to be led to formulate more commercially viable material for the sake of it - however I still love 'Slow' and that was commercially successful enough.
Well done Rumer and thanks, a smashing album that has made my life a little bit more enjoyable, so you've done it for me anyway. I love it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 24, 2012 6:49 AM BST

Michael Jackson's This Is It [Blu-ray] [2010] [Region Free]
Michael Jackson's This Is It [Blu-ray] [2010] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Michael Jackson

4.0 out of 5 stars Hashed together, but decent quality nevertheless, 28 Feb 2010
I bought this disc on strength of the Amazon reviews, I can hardly say that it has been a great experience but worthwhile nonetheless. What is abundantly clear is the artistry and brilliance this spectacle was going to bring to audience's before MJ's untimely demise. He worked with the very best in the industry and one can discern from the various disjointed performances that MJ was far from past it, amazing for a 50 something man. What the performances lack is an audience and in so far as the disc is to give the viewer an insight into the stagecraft and plans for the forthcoming shows it is very good, but it does not move beyond that at all. My advice is not to expect more than you think you might get from a sequence of videos hashed together to cash in on a performance that never actually came to fruition. I did expect more on the strength of some of the previous reviews yet everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Even though the disc does not move much beyond expectations what is evident is that MJ, far removed from his public persona, was a supremely talented individual, most comfortable on stage, surrounded by brilliant musicians and people at the top of their respective trees in production, choreography etc. The quality of the music reproduction on the disc is superb and very few people can not be moved by the distinctive bass lines and opening riffs from his most popular songs - Wanna Be Startin Something, beat It, Thriller and the list goes on.... and on.
It seems such a shame that this tour couldn't still happen with guest perfomances by various artists as some sort of tribute, I have no doubt that it would be as popular as when MJ was still alive.

Apple MacBook 13.3-inch Laptop, 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HDD, GeForce 9400M SuperDrive

4.0 out of 5 stars Just gorgeous... but at a price., 19 April 2009
Many of the other reviews (which formed a great part of my decision-making prior to purchase) have gone over the essential points, but just to add that battery life is far from the five hours stated. I've conditioned the battery (three complete charges and discharges) but even on simple web-browsing you would be hard-pushed to get beyond three-and-a-half hours.

Battery life is extremely important for me since this Macbook was intended to be used 'in the field' when I am travelling away from home. I also use a Dell Inspiron 6400 which to be fair has far superior battery life, is ultra-reliable and is, and has been, a superb tool. Backlight set to a minimum, keyboard ambient sensor off and set to a minimum also.
But it is not a Mac, and to echo the previous comments the quality of the screen is superb, the end product is gorgeous and trouble-free and the biggest worry is marking the aluminium so I have just ordered one of the specialist third-party bags.

I've marked it down a star because I can't help feeling I have become wrapped up in the Mac Thang, that I have been sold on an image as well as the product, and admittedly no matter how Apple lives fully up to that image, it is an expensive tool. I expect to be gob-smacked when I use the Macbook with the 24" LED display, all-in-all it is an excellent package, albeit an expensive one.

TomTom GO 730T Satellite Navigation System
TomTom GO 730T Satellite Navigation System

4.0 out of 5 stars Are the extra fatures really worth it for me?, 17 July 2008
Use Tom Tom's extensively travelling the length and breadth of Britain weekly, and into Europe occasionally. After the wheel they are the next best thing man has invented.
When my 520 mount gave up charging the original Tom Tom I bought with any degree of success I had to rely on the V1 (think it was called that, the cheapest one anyway) that I had to buy when the 520 had to be sent back originally. So I had to look for a new unit and chose the 730T.
Here are some observations so far (not wishing to simply repeat what others have written).
The lovely size comes at the cost of battery life - switches off almost without warning (I recommend buying a double socket adaptor that Amazon sell, length of lead from socket to socket doubler a little too short but nevertheless worth it) - I would recommend one of the older and chunkier units if you intend going rambling etc.
An annoying feature is that the 730 does not list the exact destination by house number when you turn into the road like my faithful 520 did - I mainly have seven or eight drops in a day delivering pre-owned B&O gear and I key in the addresses prior to setting off. However when you turn into the road it doesn't list the house number which can be a bit of a time waste,a minor niggle for me but one that should be noted for multi-drop drivers considering this unit.
It is great having features like playing through your radio etc., but for me the speaker is perfectly adequate and there was minor feedback problems through the car radio anyway, don't use the text feature or any of the more advanced features so why then did I buy it at the extra cost?
The traffic feature - which does not work at all on my unit and hence it is being returned. Amazon offer excellent support, but take for example this itinerary. Wednesday 1600 start driving from Gatwick to Edinburgh, returning Thursday night. Friday in London all day, Saturday to Bellenaves, a few hundred miles South of Paris, returning Sunday evening. Not one traffic signal - annoyed - but it didn't seem to matter on any of these journeys, so makes me think what is the point of having it anyway! Then again, will re-order another because the one time it saves me being stuck in a huge traffic jam will be worth the money!
Tom Tom's are not perfect by any means, but they are still fantastic and 999/1000 do journeys without fuss, if you re-route or take a wrong turn. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars was because I haven't had any chance to evaluate the one feature I bought it for, but am sure it will be sorted in time. Still fantastic but not without these minor niggles.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 30, 2008 10:50 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6