Profile for Smootipie > Reviews

Smootipie

American Doll Posse
American Doll Posse
Offered by skyvo-direct

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm so sorry Tori, I want to love it but it just does nothing for me . . ., 31 Jan 2013
This review is from: American Doll Posse (Audio CD)
Like many of the reviewers, I used to be a huge Tori Amos fan. I still am of some of the earlier albums' but this sadly failed to live up to the strong premise of channelling different characters through the lyrics and melodies.

'Bouncing Off Clouds' is one of my all time favourite Tori Songs, and ' Big Wheel' has an amazing strength to it. But 2 songs can't carry the weight of the other 21 ont he album which after 5 or 6 listens I'm still left feeling 'so what?'. That truly saddens me, and if Tori ever for whatever reason read this review I'd apologise but I have to be honest. there are no other stand out songs on this album. The tunes and melodies that rift through her early work are missing. What Tori needs is the ability to edit her work, but it's not here. 4 of the songs are short numbers, but still, that leaves 19 songs, of which after 'Bouncing . . ' it just felt a bit of a tuneless mess.

In summary, I beg you to please download 'Bouncing . .' and 'Big Wheel'. The others, have a listen on Amazon or I-Tunes prior to making an album purchase. If you are thinking of getting into Tori Amos, this is not the album to start with.

From The Choirgirl Hotel
From The Choirgirl Hotel
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredible body of work from a dark place, 31 Jan 2013
I first discovered Tori Amos after 'Professional Widow' was released. I quickly amassed her back catalogue and this was the first release after. During the time, Tori was in a dark place after dealing with a miscarriage. What she delivered with this album was a haunting, melodical album with poignant lyrics. All the songs, with one exception are incredibly strong, with an almost Jazz edge to them. 'Spark','Cruel', 'Jackie's Strength' and 'Raspberry Swirl' were all singles and are strong, very different sounding pieces. The remainder of the songs simply have such a wonderful depth to them (something which has been sadly missing from later albums). Really, a lot of the songs stand out on this album, making it a fan favourite, but noteable songs include 'Playboy Mommy', 'Black Dove' and 'She's Your Cocaine'. The exception on this album and by far the weakest song is 'Pandora's Aquarium' - a Song which could quite easily have been left of this album.
If you are a first time Tori listener, I would recommend 'Little Earthquakes' first to break you in, but then to quickly add this amazing album to your list. It comes from a darker place, but is a must-have purchase for any music collection.